Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Demo stops working when entering the mine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I downloaded the Demo and tried it. Installation works just fine - I had to download the player_crosshair_cross.bmp file from this thread to get it to start.

Works well after that, but when I enter the mine the screen goes black. Sound is still playing and I can hear some slight whispering in the beginning, but after that I can do nothing. Returning to menu fails and all I can do is to kill the x-server.

The log file ends with:
Quote:Loading map 'level01_01_outside.dae' took: 3587 ms
Creating saved world level01_01_outside
WARNING: Could not find language file category ''
Loading collada for 'data/level01_02_mine_entrance.dae' took: 605 ms
ERROR: Couldn't find particle system file 'particle_dust.ps'
ERROR: Couldn't create particle system 'sust01' of type 'particle_dust'
ERROR: Couldn't find particle system file 'dust_sust01.ps'
ERROR: Couldn't create particle system 'particle' of type 'dust_sust01'
ERROR: Couldn't load particle system 'particle' with type 'dust_sust01'
Start Num Of: 159
End Num Of: 120
Start Num Of: 11
Loading map 'level01_02_mine_entrance.dae' took: 5299 ms

I already played beta2 and beta3 and both worked on the exact same system.
If you need any additional system specs please feel free to ask!
Can you attach your entire hpl.log file?
Also, what Linux distribution, computer, and video card are you using?

MIT_Service Wrote:Hi,

I downloaded the Demo and tried it. Installation works just fine - I had to download the player_crosshair_cross.bmp file from this thread to get it to start.

Works well after that, but when I enter the mine the screen goes black. Sound is still playing and I can hear some slight whispering in the beginning, but after that I can do nothing. Returning to menu fails and all I can do is to kill the x-server.
I'm having the same issue, I had to kill penumbra.bin with SIGKILL.
Seems to works fine when using the "continue" option from menu.

I've go exactly the same hpl.log except for loading times.

I'm running Ubuntu 7.04, with the nvidia-glx drivers.
I'm using the following setup:

Gentoo Linux on an Athlon XP 2000+ with a Geforce 6200 with the binary Nvidia drivers version 1.0.9755.
I only have 512 MB of RAM if that is an issue.

Attached is the whole hpl.log - I could not find any suspicious entries.
MIT_Service Wrote:I'm using the following setup:

Gentoo Linux on an Athlon XP 2000+ with a Geforce 6200 with the binary Nvidia drivers version 1.0.9755.
I only have 512 MB of RAM if that is an issue.

Attached is the whole hpl.log - I could not find any suspicious entries.

What window manager are you running? And does it happen EVERY time?
And when you installed the latest demo to you completely remove the old demo install directory? You might also try completely removing the .frictionalgames directory in you home directory.

I just went through and ran the demo 3 times beginning to end. reinstalling off of the installer, cleaning the .frictionalgames dir and am not able to recreate the issue. I've run it under Beryl (compiz fork) and under metacity (gnome). My hpl.log looks exactly the same however, except it doesn't *hang* when loading the underground mine. My system is an Nvidia 6600 w/ the 9755 drivers on an athlon XP 2100+. My system is running FC6 however. And the memory should be fine...

I've attached my hpl.log from a FULL run of the game on my system.
Urkle, I always disable beryl when playing a game.
I'll try several times without removing ~/.frictionalgames, and then with.
I did try 3 times from beginning, it hanged 3 times...
The last time, I did a backtrace with gdb, but due to the lack of symbols, there is only information about mutex.
I'll now try again, by continuing the game, 3 times, and then delete ~/.frictionalgames and try again from beginning.

Edit:
So, I've tried :
1°) 3 times with my "old" conf and from the beginning, it didn't worked at all
2°) 3 times with my "old" conf and from the second lvl, it didn't worked at all
3°) 2 times from the beginning with the default options, it worked fine
4°) 2 times with high video settings, it worked fine
Thib_G Wrote:I did try 3 times from beginning, it hanged 3 times...
The last time, I did a backtrace with gdb, but due to the lack of symbols, there is only information about mutex.
I'll now try again, by continuing the game, 3 times, and then delete ~/.frictionalgames and try again from beginning.

If you send me the backtrace from GDB I can look up the symbols on my end to debug.
I think it's related to VSync, no ?
Thib_G Wrote:I think it's related to VSync, no ?

I tried w/ and w/o vsync enabled and it works fine on my system.

If you could run the game through GDB (you might have to do it from another system. and interrupt the execution when it seems to be locked up and give me a back trace I can better figure what is going on.
Pages: 1 2