Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: How crucial is it to follow the story line?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is it that crucial for me to play the games in order? I have been playing Penumbra: Overture - keep in my mind I have already beaten Amnesia: The Dark Descent. So I was used to the amazing atmosphere but now a lot of the improvements are gone due to the fact Amnesia is newer :'( but don't get me wrong it is still a good game (aside from the seemingly invincible dogs...). The order to my knowledge is Overture, Black Plague, and then Requiem I am a big fan of story lines but I do not like Penumbra: Overture that much others have told me that Black Plague made some huge improvements. So should I skip Overture?

I never even tried to kill the dogs...much more fun trying to avoid them.

Don't skip overture...it has the best ending EVER!
If you are playing the games for their scares, doesn't matter. If you play them for their story, which is wonderful in my opinion, play in order.
I was in the same situation as you. Played Amnesia first and then moved to Penumbra. But seriously, play Overture. There are some great puzzles and scary chase scenes. The story to it is great, read the notes cause they give a bit more back story as to what happened. Plus the ending does lead onto the next game so it's worth it. It doesn't take too long to complete. I've just finished Overture and I even found it better than Amnesia in certain ways, but Black Plague does look a lot scarier.
Following the story will also help you understand the game more. Penumbra has a (great) storyline, which indicates that the story plays a big role in the game, I highly recommend you doing so.
(01-10-2012, 01:42 AM)Spooder Wekd Wrote: [ -> ]Don't skip overture...it has the best ending EVER!
^ This.
Don't skip overture. It's really great if you play along and pretend you're walking in that shelter
Well I think I will try to play Overture Smile I probably should not have played Amnesia first because it made so many improvements but Overture is really good too.
There both good in there own way, but the puzzles in Overture are much better.
(01-12-2012, 10:22 AM)BrooksyFC Wrote: [ -> ]There both good in there own way, but the puzzles in Overture are much better.
really? I thought that since Black Plague was newer it would have improved across the board.

I guess age does not matter over content.
Oh man, why would you skip Overture, the best of the Penumbra series?
Overture is the best game of all from Frictional Games, even better than Amnesia.
You have a very oppressive atmosphere in the mine shafts and so incredible physic puzzles!!!
Don't skip Overture, otherwise you will missed most content.
Black Plague isn't an improvement for me, it is little scarier, yes, but the core game isn't such immersing like Overture. Less puzzles and a strange story that plays in minds and felt implausible some times.
Trust me, Overture would be the best experience!
Pages: 1 2