Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: How To Tell Someone What You Do
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It's awkward enough when your friend walks in on you scripting and asks what the hell you're doing, but it's even MORE awkward when you can't explain to them what it actually is that you're doing. I'm curious to know what 'scripting' is actually called, if it has a name. I usually say 'coding', or 'scripting' and people just look at me weird.
Is there a name for what we(the FG community) do, in terms of 'scripting'/'coding'/'mapping'?
Thanks!
What are these things "friends" you talk about? *forever alone*
(01-13-2012, 11:26 PM)kman Wrote: [ -> ]What are these things "friends" you talk about? *forever alone*
I'm your friend Kyle. <3 lmao.

(01-13-2012, 11:37 PM)JenniferOrange Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-13-2012, 11:26 PM)kman Wrote: [ -> ]What are these things "friends" you talk about? *forever alone*

Well... I meant more of IRL friends :P I think the fact that I even used the term "IRL" should be proof enough XD
(01-13-2012, 11:55 PM)kman Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-13-2012, 11:37 PM)JenniferOrange Wrote: [ -> ]

Well... I meant more of IRL friends Tongue I think the fact that I even used the term "IRL" should be proof enough XD
Same difference! c: I'm sure you have friends.

Don't. Never. Ever. Never.

Here's a sneak peek from my life:
I went to my cousins home for new years eve. Two of my cousins, their brother-in-law and his friend, we were all sitting. They asked me what is computer science, how it is different from programming, what I do at work etc etc. I took my time and explained many things.
My cousins' brother-in-law's friend asked me one question:
"Can you install Windows?"

That's all I am in his eyes.
So, if someone doesn't know anything about computers, don't try to explain. It'll devour you, it'll lie dormant in you deeply as a hatred seed. Don't.
Tan, that sounds pretty bad. I'm sorry. Sad
You're a very successful programmer though, I think the entire forum knows that.
Well I guess on a more on topic note, my uncle once asked me about it when he saw me mapping a long hall with a bunch of boxes in it, he said something along the lines of "Heh, looks like you're piling a bunch of shit into an airlines carrier". He was wee bit drunk at the time.
Just tell them you're working on your own custom story, and then introduce Amnesia to them. Do note doing so may be "evil" on your part. Tongue
My best friend came in when i was mapping, he was like: "LOL, dude that's fucking easy". Then i showed him some scripting, his face was priceless.
Pages: 1 2