Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: STILL STUCK in worm/acid area overture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
well folks, months later. I gave up on this game. Tried again tonight to get over the second acid pool by moving boxes and jumping across. only managed two times to get across without falling in acid. Then worm got me... There is no time, period, not an extra second; for me to get to that pillar and get behind it and get out my pickaxe and knock it down. HELL. I am talking thousands of attempts. THERE has to be some way to skip a point in a game if you can not physically do it in the time alloted??? Is there nobody out there with a save I could get? This is completely nuts. I am desperate. HELP!!! I hate this. And yes I run. YES I hit the door close button. YES I jump over boxes to second doorway. Yes I shut THAT door by hitting button. YES I THEN have to hit tab button, get out pick axe break TWO fences. AND THEN I Hit tab again and put pickax away. THEN I have to move the two boxes into the acid, and try to jump across. HA> ONLY once I got to that pillar and before I could even hit tab and get pick ax out YET AGAIN to maybe hit the pillar. well as usual the worm was there and I was dead.
I mean seriously? I don't mind difficult but this is just ridiculous. MONTHS of trying. THen I quit. THEN I thought ok try tonight. One hour later. Oh screw this. What a stupid concept. Seriously? You couldn't put a few more seconds in there so some of us could actually get it?
Very fed up.
Hey lesley,

I'd suggest that first you calm down a bit (you probably are now). If you play with anger, it often does not help - my experience. I play best when I do not care if I succeed or not. But okay back to topic.

Some general tips:

1) You talk about hitting Tab to equip and unequip your axe. I'd say that this costs you much time. Maybe not a critical amount but still. Just put your axe to a shortcut like 1, 2, 3, etc and equip/unequip WHILE you're running

2) you *are* running aren't you? Like pressing the SHift key while moving? Since you mentioned each keypres - except this.

3) You also said you lowered one gate. I am not 100% sure anymore since it's been some months I finished the game but I am pretty certain there are at least two gates you can close. One when the chase starts and I think one before or after the acid pit.

4) Speaking of the acid pit - I only pulled in ONE box, took a running start and jumped as far as I could. I landed near the end of the acid and could jump out of the pool without any serious damage

5) If you still cannot figure it out, try watching the scene on a Youtube walkthrough. It could give you some hints on how to perform better in certain spots.

I hope this helps you.
haha I like your post. I was pretty fed up so I quit again.
Yes I was running and shut two doors by pressing the button on a stand. I could run across first acid pit without moving any boxes. the issue is making a shortcut for the pickax. nobody explained how to do that, and somebody said it's too late to creat a shortcut. My game always starts at the same point now- the worm blasting in, me running into room and shutting doors etc etc. So I don't know how to create a key for pickaxe so I don't have to hit tab, double click on ax etc. any suggestions? I suspect it has to do with playing on the laptop, with less than ideal graphics card. slow response...
Hey.

It has been some time (as I wrote in my post) but I do not think it should be too late to make a shortcut for your weapon.

Here's how you do it:
- Open your inventory via TAB
- You see all the boxes with your items. On top of the screen you see some empty inventory boxes labeled with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc.
- Move your mouse to the Pickaxe, press and hole the left mouse button
- Drag the cursoe (with the pickaxe) to the box labelled "1" and release the mouse button. The pickaxe should now be on this box.
Now if you close your inventory, you can bring up the pickaxe with "1" and put it away if you press "1" again. "X" also works for putting away a weapon (by default).

If that does not work within the chase (which I would not know why), I'd suggest taking an earlier Savegame. I think the game should have made a Savegame before the whole chase even starts.

About your Hardware:
I have not experimented with it but I could imagine that a low framerate could decrease the chances of success. So at least for a try and to get past this spot I'd recommend:
- Turn off all effects
- Turn off VSync
- Reduce the resolution of the game as far as possible
Even if this only grants you 5 FPS - maybe these will help you for this chase.

Good luck!

P.S. If all fails, I could try to do the worm chase on my own machine. However I use the Linux versio of the game and I am not entirely sure if the Savegames are compatible with each other. I tried to do that after having issues with Black Plaque (Linux version) but eventually it crippled the game on Windows as well - and I do not ant to destroy your overall progress.
What I finally did was go into the game.config file and change the jumpforward speed from 2 to 10. That way you only need to push one box in the acid, and take a good flying leap! That'll give you the few precious seconds to get to the beam to hit.

You can also change it back for the rest of the game.
(01-25-2012, 06:10 AM)lesley Wrote: [ -> ]well folks, months later. I gave up on this game. Tried again tonight to get over the second acid pool by moving boxes and jumping across. only managed two times to get across without falling in acid. Then worm got me... There is no time, period, not an extra second; for me to get to that pillar and get behind it and get out my pickaxe and knock it down. HELL. I am talking thousands of attempts. THERE has to be some way to skip a point in a game if you can not physically do it in the time alloted??? Is there nobody out there with a save I could get? This is completely nuts. I am desperate. HELP!!! I hate this. And yes I run. YES I hit the door close button. YES I jump over boxes to second doorway. Yes I shut THAT door by hitting button. YES I THEN have to hit tab button, get out pick axe break TWO fences. AND THEN I Hit tab again and put pickax away. THEN I have to move the two boxes into the acid, and try to jump across. HA> ONLY once I got to that pillar and before I could even hit tab and get pick ax out YET AGAIN to maybe hit the pillar. well as usual the worm was there and I was dead.
I mean seriously? I don't mind difficult but this is just ridiculous. MONTHS of trying. THen I quit. THEN I thought ok try tonight. One hour later. Oh screw this. What a stupid concept. Seriously? You couldn't put a few more seconds in there so some of us could actually get it?
Very fed up.
omg I am SUCH an idiot folks. I went to bestbuy and discovered the Gaming Mouse. ALL this time I have been using a wireless mouse with insanity provoking results and so much ranting I have been nominated Mommy with the Worst Potty Mouth of 2011 and 2012. haha. Thanks for all the suggestions. I learned how to put objects in the hot keys also. WELL I used my New Razer Death Adder mouse and finished Penumbra Requiem today woo hoo. even after doing some stupid stuff. I have NOT yet attempted the worm scene as described above in my previous rants. I will see how the new mouse works for that level. THANKS all. Just wish somebody had mentioned to me GET A GAMING MOUSE YOU IDJIT. haha
I'm not using a gaming mouse either I'm using a logitec wireless mx revo mouse.
Everything goes well with it but I can understand it'll be difficult with the framerate falling apart.
I finished it on a intel Celeron laptop with Nvida gt105 everything on ultra low still lags like hell.(my friends crappy laptop but I was too lazy to go home and bring mine)