Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Can't get extra_english.lang to work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've followed all the tutorials and searched topics all over the forum but none of the proposed solutions seem to work. I'm starting out trying to use the .lang file to give a message when you attempt to open a door, and to rename an item.

First off, my files are arranged like this (I have the Steam version):
custom_stories/
|- Kassel/
| |- maps/
| | |- castle.hps
| | |- castle.map
| |- extra_english.lang
In my .lang file, I put the following:

Spoiler below!
<LANGUAGE>

<CATEGORY Name="Inventory">
<Entry Name="ItemDesc_StorageKey">A key to the storage room.</Entry>
<Entry Name="ItemName_StorageKey">Storage Key</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

<CATEGORY Name="Doors">
<Entry Name="castle_5">The latch is jammed.</Entry>
</CATEGORY>

</LANGUAGE>

And in my .hps file, I put the following:

Spoiler below!
void OnStart()
{
SetEntityPlayerInteractCallback("castle_5", "Message", true);
}

void Message(string &in asEntity)
{
SetMessage("Doors", "castle_5", 5.0f);
}

If I did everything correctly, when the player interacts with the door "castle_5," the script should bring up the message in the "Doors" category under "castle_5." And the key in question does have "StorageKey" for it's CutsomItemSubtypeName. Neither of them work properly.

It's likely an error somewhere in your lang file, but not where you're looking. Review your entire lang file for any errors. Also, try closing Amnesia and deleting the map_cache file in your custom story's maps folder.
What I posted is all there is in my lang file at the moment. And I have no map_cache file.
Try testing it under a new profile.
Add this bit into your lang file under the category. Then restart Amnesia and launch your story, see if this gets it working

Code:
<CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">
    <Entry Name="Description">
        A description of your story
    </Entry>
</CATEGORY>
I've tried both. I created a new map, with a new script and new lang file, which still doesn't work, even with the new information palistov posted.

I'm starting to suspect it might be a problem with how I load the map to test it out. I followed the instructions in http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn...evenvguide, and put my test level in the "amnesia the dark descent/maps" folder. Then to test the level I just open Amnesia, and it goes directly to my level without the loading screen.

I'm not sure if there's a better way people build and test their levels. The tutorials are kind of confusing.
(03-06-2012, 03:30 AM)Damascus Wrote: [ -> ]I've tried both. I created a new map, with a new script and new lang file, which still doesn't work, even with the new information palistov posted.

That's not what i meant by "new profile."
Once I undid the changes in the tutorial I mentioned and made a new profile, the lang file was working successfully.

However, once I changed the main_setting.cfg and user_settings.cfg to quick load the map, it stopped working again. Should I be going about this a different way?
(03-06-2012, 04:13 AM)Damascus Wrote: [ -> ]Once I undid the changes in the tutorial I mentioned and made a new profile, the lang file was working successfully.

However, once I changed the main_setting.cfg and user_settings.cfg to quick load the map, it stopped working again. Should I be going about this a different way?

You've come across an issue that is known but one that not every one has. This means you're going to have to test your map without developer mode.
(03-06-2012, 05:45 AM)Your Computer Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-06-2012, 04:13 AM)Damascus Wrote: [ -> ]Once I undid the changes in the tutorial I mentioned and made a new profile, the lang file was working successfully.

You've come across an issue that is known but one that not every one has. This means you're going to have to test your map without developer mode.
I never use dev mode :>

Pages: 1 2