Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: [SOLVED] How to bind objects into compounds.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have literally no idea how to do this one. I've been searching "compound" but nothing relevant comes up...
In the prison_south map there are compounds here and there. I've been unable to figure out how to make such...

It should have something to do with the "combine" function. But what do I do with it?
The wiki didn't provide much info either.
That feature isn't useful outside of the level editor; it's just a feature of convenience. That feature is still a bit buggy, so careful when combining stuff.
The compounds you see are merely convenience in mapping. they are not needed or do anything in the scripting department. But in any case. Hold Shift while you click objects you wish to duplicate and press B. It will join all of them with a point in the center to move and rotate and you can duplicate the compound to map faster and neater. To unbind them, simply click the compounded objects and press B again. This should help if you need more info:

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-10598.html
Okay, that feature is going to be awesome for me. Tongue

Is there any way to store the compound, to place it like it was a normal object?
(05-05-2012, 06:38 PM)Theforgot3n1 Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, that feature is going to be awesome for me. Tongue

Is there any way to store the compound, to place it like it was a normal object?
What do you mean? It's already a group of normal objects.

Think about grabbing a bunch of sticks (objects). Then wrapping tape (compound function) around the sticks. Now you can move them all at once. Once you take off the tape, they're all individual objects and you have to hold them all at once. Having the tape makes it much easier to move them all at once, you see?
(05-05-2012, 06:41 PM)Statyk Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-05-2012, 06:38 PM)Theforgot3n1 Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, that feature is going to be awesome for me. Tongue

I was thinking if you could make a compound, and instead of duplicating it at it's current place, and then move it, you could just make a new one as if the compound was a complete static_object.

Think about grabbing a bunch of sticks (objects). Then wrapping tape (compound function) around the sticks. Now you can move them all at once. Once you take off the tape, they're all individual objects and you have to hold them all at once. Having the tape makes it much easier to move them all at once, you see?
I just thought you might be able to store the entire new compound somewhere, so that you do not need to duplicate a compound to place that compound. If possible I'd enjoy being able to place the compound as if it was a normal static_object, for example.
(05-05-2012, 08:46 PM)Theforgot3n1 Wrote: [ -> ]I just thought you might be able to store the entire new compound somewhere, so that you do not need to duplicate a compound to place that compound. If possible I'd enjoy being able to place the compound as if it was a normal static_object, for example.
You can make a selection of a bunch of objects and go to "File > Export Selection" and place it in a folder. then when you want to, "File > Import Objects" and you can place the selection you made in other maps as well.
(05-05-2012, 09:24 PM)Statyk Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-05-2012, 08:46 PM)Theforgot3n1 Wrote: [ -> ]I just thought you might be able to store the entire new compound somewhere, so that you do not need to duplicate a compound to place that compound. If possible I'd enjoy being able to place the compound as if it was a normal static_object, for example.
You can make a selection of a bunch of objects and go to "File > Export Selection" and place it in a folder. then when you want to, "File > Import Objects" and you can place the selection you made in other maps as well.
Will have to try that out later. This thread is going to be marked as [SOLVED] now!

Tankz!

EDIT: Changed title to make it more traceable.