Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Indie devs are awesome
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/art...?id=256059

Quote:A UK indie developer has reacted furiously to Epic Games VP Mark Rein allegedly heckling him at a public debate on the future of micro-studios.

In a panel at the Develop Conference in Brighton yesterday, Positech's Cliff Harris argued that smaller developers have the advantage of emailing customers directly - building a personal relationship to make a sale.

However, he later claimed on his blog:

'At this point, there was this derisive snort from this guy in the front row, who said something to the effect of 'one guy? who cares, that's a waste of time'. He then started to lecture us on how that's a silly way to do it. I'm 95% sure that all four of us on the panel [which also included Robin Lacey(Beatnik), Sean Murray(Hello Games) and Mark Morris(Introversion)] thought 'what the fuck?' as well as 'who is this guy'? compounded by Robin asking him if he worked in marketing.

'Anyway... it turned out this guy was Mark Rein from Epic, although he seemed to assume everyone within earshot knew exactly who he was, and why he must obviously be right.'

Harris then began a targeted diatribe against Epic, Gears Of War and Mark Rein personally. He writes:

'Mark Rein is a jerk.

'Now I suspect this is not groundbreaking news, although it is to me, because I've never met him or even seen him before. However, this experience seems to confirm my opinions on Epic and companies like them in general. Now Mark may well look down on humble indies like me. He may well think I'm doing it wrong.

'He may laugh when me and Mark discuss the pitiful money our companies make, and giggle at the fact that we reply to gamers on a one-on-one basis... But fuck him. I would rather earn minimum wage making indie strategy games for the PC, as my own boss, with an original game, satisfying a hardcore niche of friendly customers (the one-thousand-true-fans-philosophy), without a publisher telling me what to do, and without having to leave my house to go to work, without having to do 'crunch time' (because, dude... its like so macho to work until 3AM and never see your family)... Than I would work at epic for megabucks.

'The sheer overwhelming stench of testosterone would probably give me a headcahe, combined with the dizzy excitement of exactly what shade of grey our next game's space-marine would wear as he kicked alien butt. (I feel bad working on Gratuitous Space Battles for almost 2 years, but it seems like that old 'wisecracking space marine with big muscles and chisel-jaw' idea has been stretched out longer than the hundred years war).'

He added: 'I have absolutely no doubt mark would just naturally assume me feeling like that is jealousy, which, as anyone who knows me personally would testify, is just fucking funny. I really don't care about Epic, and their games, as they are way way too macho and 'dude' for my liking, and don't have demos, so I just assume they haven't changed since Unreal Tournament. I try not to comment on games I don't like, as each to their own tastes etc. The only reason I'm moved to give a damn enough to state my opinion, is that I resent having some triple-a studio jerk come and tell someone whose run a microstudio for thirteen years that he is doing it all wrong. If Mark from introversion suggests I'm doing it wrong, thats cool, he does what I do, and has some serious experience, ditto anyone on that panel, or anyone with long indie experience. And I listen carefully, often over lunch.

But Triple-A studio bosses trying to lecture me on how to communicate better with gamers? Fuck off.'

Indie devs like Frictional have more talent and creativity than Epic has had in over 10 years. Money and corporate size does not equal talent. Epic has become an engine of mediocre and cliche'd games. The glorious days of Unreal and Jazz Jackrabbit have sadly long since faded away.
Well, I can´t say I´ve played many games made by Epic, but the Unreal Engine is used in a lot of games, so I guess they´re doing something right.

And Indie developers are the way to go. That way, when you buy the game, you know that the most of your money goes to the guys who actually made the game.
(07-19-2010, 01:31 AM)spukrian Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I can´t say I´ve played many games made by Epic, but the Unreal Engine is used in a lot of games, so I guess they´re doing something right.

Regardless of if they're doing something right, it's not okay for them to snub indie developers for not wanting to get tied up in corporatocracy BS.

Many game studios, in the search for more and more money, forget what making games is supposed to be about: entertainment. How can you make something and expect someone to enjoy it if it's not being made by people who are doing it because they enjoy it?
Here's his apology and explanation:

http://www.develop-online.net/news/35418...ie-apology

Maybe he's not so bad after all?
He did have some good points to make in his apology...though I'm not so sure he's really that supportive of indie developers overall. I don't really know anything about Mark Rein though, so I'm going to withhold any personal judgment.

At the least, it was very good damage control.