Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: After playing Amnesia, is Penumbra any good?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm getting close to the end of Amnesia (not finished yet, no spoilers) and I want more. I went ahead and bought the entire Penumbra trilogy (I beat the Tech Demo four years ago, then again a few days ago).

How does Penumbra stand up? Am I going to be thrilled with it or does it definitely feel worse than Amnesia (since it was first)?
Better

Definitely better
YES, play it. Penumbra's definitely more dated and less polished (since they had less money to work with and all), but I still consider Black Plague to be the scariest game of the three. Having the flashlight instead of the lantern just makes everything more terrifying Big Grin

I still consider the Kennel section of Black Plague to be the single most frightening thing I've ever experienced.
Penumbra is cool, but I found Amnesia so much scarier and much more polished (obviously).
Amnesia is definitely more frightening than Penumbra, but Penumbra is still my favorite so far. I love the setting and environment puzzles, not to mention the scares :3

Youll also get to see the only game where you have a weapon to defend yourself with (Episode 1), then they take it away to make you absolutely defenseless in BP (to intensify the suspense). and at $20 for three games, its hard not to go wrong.

Also, IMO, they have alot of replay value just for the experience they provide.
Run Forest Run..... The dogs are sweet and gentle; Don't hesitate to pet them. lol

Penumbra is a super game.. love it.
I have a feeling the community is split down the middle in regards to which series is their favorite, but mine personally is Penumbra. I enjoyed Amnesia immensely, but I felt it wasn't as immersive as Penumbra, despite Amnesia's superior polish and technology.

I will say this: I have never played Requiem (though I plan to in the near future), but be prepared for an experience vastly different from Overture and Black Plague.
Absolutely. Penumbra is a MUST play!
I enjoyed Penumbra more than Amnesia, to be honest.

...and I say it straight about Requiem:
If you wait the same than from Overture and Black Plague, you dissapoint. But if you wait the same than from Portal, you love it!
I liked Requiem. Mostly because I knew what to expect. Others waited for more horror... I wanted more puzzles, and there it was: Requiem.
Well I do like both, and while Amnesia is arguably scarier, the Penumbra series had the better setting in my opinion.

While I wasn't super-fond of Overture, it's worth playing just so you can experience Black Plague, which is by far the best installment. Requiem is a completely different experience (and doesn't really drive the story forward in any way), but should still be played for completion (and interesting puzzles) alone.
(09-15-2010, 07:33 PM)Scraper Wrote: [ -> ]Absolutely. Penumbra is a MUST play!
I enjoyed Penumbra more than Amnesia, to be honest.

...and I say it straight about Requiem:
If you wait the same than from Overture and Black Plague, you dissapoint. But if you wait the same than from Portal, you love it!
I liked Requiem. Mostly because I knew what to expect. Others waited for more horror... I wanted more puzzles, and there it was: Requiem.

I'll do the fluent English speakers here a favor and clarify this a bit more (no insult intended, just so everyone can understand).

Requiem is a puzzle off-shoot with little to no horror in it. It's much more similar to Portal then it is to the other Penumbra games; so don't expect it to be something it's not!
Pages: 1 2