Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: My try at making a level.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, it isn't much, just testing mostly, so tried to make a finished room, some furniture and such, only couldn't find the rugs, but I think I read somewhere where to find these. Also, perhaps one too many shadow enabled spot-light, but I love to play around with it. The two spot-lights coming from the windows in the bedroom are set to low quality though and the one that reaches all the way to the bed when the door is opened is set to medium. (Been reading the performance tips as well, and applied all of them as much as possible.)

So, hope anyone could let me know what they think of it and if the map does not make their computer system sweat too much. Tongue

Teaser screenie.

The file: Hionimi's Room.

Installation: Just put it in custom_stories/, that's all.

If I made a mistake somewhere, anything, like map not loading, music missing, or perhaps a glitch somewhere, please let me know. Smile
(09-16-2010, 05:51 PM)Hionimi Wrote: [ -> ]Well, it isn't much, just testing mostly, so tried to make a finished room, some furniture and such, only couldn't find the rugs, but I think I read somewhere where to find these. Also, perhaps one too many shadow enabled spot-light, but I love to play around with it. The two spot-lights coming from the windows in the bedroom are set to low quality though and the one that reaches all the way to the bed when the door is opened is set to medium. (Been reading the performance tips as well, and applied all of them as much as possible.)

So, hope anyone could let me know what they think of it and if the map does not make their computer system sweat too much. Tongue

Teaser screenie.

The file: Hionimi's Room.

Installation: Just put it in custom_stories/, that's all.

If I made a mistake somewhere, anything, like map not loading, music missing, or perhaps a glitch somewhere, please let me know. Smile

That's actually pretty good Smile

Now you just need to expand it.
Will do. :o The editor is tons of fun really, and for some reason, when I got the settings right to make it run together with the game, it stopped crashing once so often, so time to get some more done, only hope I can learn the scripts a bit, as that always adds that finishing touch.

Thanks anyway! Smile
Very cool! I just have a question.

In this line:

Code:
PlayMusic("04_amb.ogg", true, 1, 3, 0, true);

What do all of those values mean? I would love to understand scripting but am a 100% beginner.
I don't know either, I just copied that from another game and kept my fingers crossed. Tongue
Lol, ok. That's what I've been doing as well.

If someone could point me (us) in the right direction, maybe to a tutorial on Angel or something, I would be very appreciative. The scripting tutorial on the frictional games wiki is helpful, but it doesn't really teach you what's going on or how to do anything besides the small amount of commands listed there.

EDIT: Hionimi, I've figured out what most of the line means.

-'Playmusic' and '"04_amb.ogg"' should be obvious.

-The first 'true' is stating that the sound will loop.

-The '1' is stating the volume of the sound.

-The '3' is the time the sound will take to fade out.

-The '0' I am still unsure. The code calls it 'alPrio'.

-The second 'true' is stating whether the sound will 'resume' or not, although I'm not sure what this means.
(09-16-2010, 06:46 PM)Armored Cow Wrote: [ -> ]-The second 'true' is stating whether the sound will 'resume' or not, although I'm not sure what this means.

As far as I know, the second true for 'resume' is so the sound will replay once it has reached the end of the song, but then the first one is for that too, so i dunno lol, but that's my most educated guess.
Code:
1: File to play
2: If the music should start over when end is reached
3: the volume (0 -1)
4: The time (in secs) it takes for the music to fade in.
5: The priority of the music. If other music of equal or higher prio is set to play, it replaces this.
6: If the music is played again, (say after other music of equal or higher prio has started instead and then stopped), should it be resumed from where it was last at in the file.
(09-16-2010, 11:32 PM)Thomas Wrote: [ -> ]
Code:
1: File to play
2: If the music should start over when end is reached
3: the volume (0 -1)
4: The time (in secs) it takes for the music to fade in.
5: The priority of the music. If other music of equal or higher prio is set to play, it replaces this.
6: If the music is played again, (say after other music of equal or higher prio has started instead and then stopped), should it be resumed from where it was last at in the file.

Ah, thanks so much. This might help as music is terribly important as well, I hope to play with sounds and music at some point, as I hope to create a nice scare by playing sounds triggered near the player to give him the feeling something is right behind him while there isn't anything, or is there..? *Evil.*

Bit off the subject, but, Thomas, or anyone else from FG, are you planning to update the wiki with perhaps a very extended guide of all script commands and how to use them? Or is there no time for that? It would really help people getting started and to make more stories, and would really increase the replay value of this game. Smile
The plan is to add details like that for all the scripts in the wiki, when there is time Smile

The old wiki for HPL1 has that sort of information
Pages: 1 2