Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Note/Diary Narration
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I'm trying to make it so when you pick up this note, an audio file works. Like Daniel's Diary. I followed another thread and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do.

Here is my .lang file:

<CATEGORY Name="Journal">
<Entry Name="Diary_NDiaryOne_Name">Note To Self</Entry>
<Entry Name="Diary_NDiaryOne_Text">[Voice
NoteToSelf.ogg] Hello Nathaniel, [br][br]At the moment you're most likely reading this full of sweat and fear. [br]You cannot remember what you are doing here, which is probably for the best, as it will only make you stronger. [br]At the moment, all you ever need to know is that you have to get out of here, anyway you can. [br]Also, there is a plague broken out in the castle, and you are the last known survivor, but there may be more. [br]One Last last thing, there are these...things. These monsterous creatures of the dark, lurking in the shadows. [br] [br] Your former self, [br] [br]Nathaniel. </Entry>
</CATEGORY>

And in the level editor I have a NOTE placed down and in the NoteText it says NDiaryOne and use narration is ticked.
Moreover, i have the NoteToSelf.ogg inside the lang/eng/voices/diarys

What is wrong with this?
Well if you have a note placed down then why does your .lang have
Code:
<Entry Name="Diary_NDiaryOne_Name">

If it's a note then have it say
Code:
<Entry Name="Note_NDiaryOne_Name">
But the thing is, when I make it Note_NDiaryOne etc. The note just immediately closes when picked up, and if I have it as diary_ then my custom story doesn't appear in my custom stories list
Also, When i place the diary entity it has no Use Narration option so i assumed you used the note entity for diarys.
Please, I have been working On this for about 3 hours now and I can't figure it out!

Thanks in advance.
It could be that you are using a note_generic or note_letter, etc, when for straightforward Diaries, you might need the diary_paper01 entity.
(07-12-2011, 10:00 PM)Kurton Wrote: [ -> ]It could be that you are using a note_generic or note_letter, etc, when for straightforward Diaries, you might need the diary_paper01 entity.

The thing is, I would out of general knowledge chosen to place the diary paper, but as it didn't have a option to use narration in the entities tab, I used the notes instead, thinking I could only use them. So if that is the problem, how would I solve it then?
Diaries don't have Use Narration because they automatically use narration. If you have a diary you NEED narration. I would recommend using a diary unless you want it to be a note for story reasons.
(07-12-2011, 10:05 PM)triadtimes Wrote: [ -> ]Diaries don't have Use Narration because they automatically use narration. If you have a diary you NEED narration. I would recommend using a diary unless you want it to be a note for story reasons.

So you're saying that in the lang file I should keep it at Diary_ and then place a Diary in the entities and in the Diary text type NDiaryOne in the entities tab?

Plus, is the actual voice file (.ogg) correctly used in my .lang?
Yes, sounds good. If you're unsure what to do, however, then the best way I can explain would be this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnCAbgTY6d8
(07-12-2011, 10:35 PM)triadtimes Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, sounds good. If you're unsure what to do, however, then the best way I can explain would be this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnCAbgTY6d8

Ok I'll check that video out and modify my Lang and map accordingly to what it says, I can't do it right now though as I'm on my iPod now, I've come off my laptop, if problems still persist, I will post on here again. Thanks again.
I looked the video, so basically if I wanted to do my own Narration I (not Daniel's) guess I would do the exact same except with my .ogg files? I will name them similar to like you have e.g Diary_L01_NoteToSelf.ogg
Yeah, put them in the same place and name them whatever you want as long as you keep the name the same in the .lang file.
Pages: 1 2 3