Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Model help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This is DRedshot, i'm not on my usual account because I've lost all of my 'filled in form' data and therefore cannot get onto my email account to reset my password... Anyways, i've made a new account and i have a question: I've made a simple model in maya, it is made up of 5 keys on a keyring. Each key is it's own object, with it's own texture, and the ring itself is also it's own object, with it's own texture. So i was wondering, how are the files named, and what is the general layout for multiple textures and objects.

I looked at servant_grunt. it has
servant_grunt.dds and
servant_grunt_hair.dds

does the _hair come from the object name? or is it from the name of the body in model editor?

Thanks!
You just create textures, give whatever name you want to it, and add it as a texture and export in dae format. You need to U.V map it in blender, I suppose something similiar goes with maya too.

You may want to try seeing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dj_Kj5V4s4
Thanks, but i've already mapped the textures onto the objects, i was asking more about the naming of the files, so that the hpl engine can read it. My current situatio is that I have exported the mesh, as a .dae and i have One mesh, with three different texure files. My 'dae is called keychain_custom, but I don't know how i should name the other files? should it be
keychain_custom_key1.dds
keychain_custom_key2.dds
keychain_custom_key3.dds
keychain_custom_key4.dds
for example?
hpl engine doesn't care about the naming if you correctly exported it (e.g whatever the file name you used while you mapping in maya, hpl will look for that file.). If you are having problems with your current export, it is probably something else. I don't know exact details in maya, so I can't help you in that matter. But you can check the dimensions of the images. They should all be in exponents of the 2, like 128x256 512x512 etc.
Thanks a lot, i just needed to know that it doesn't care. I've exported it and it seems as though the game automatically knows what textures to give the individual objects, because they are all mapped properly, even before making a .mat file, so thanks for the help yasar!
glad to help.
If I may, what type of model is it?
Hey, i've finished it now, it's a keyring item for my map! it's like a jailors set of keys, to unlock multiple doors with one item. Eack of the keys on the ring are physics enabled and can rotate on a ball joint on the ring! there are four keys on it and i have made the inventory item image as well, so basically it's an item Smile
oh, very impressive! Add it to your custom story, The Visitor. Good work! Smile
unfortunately i wont be finishing The Visitor, it never had a solid story. However, i've started my new story (you may have already read the thread) called The Ascent! And it will definately make an appearance in that!
Pages: 1 2 3