Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

SOPA. Have you heard?
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84
RE: SOPA. Have you heard?

(01-21-2012, 01:35 AM)JenniferOrange Wrote: I signed the petiton, and I got an exciting email this afternoon!
SOPA and PIPA were dropped by Congress today.
13 million of us took the time to tell Congress to protect free speech rights on the Internet. Hundreds of millions of people saw the black-outs on the 18th.
The email states:
"The MPAA was shocked and seemingly humbled. "This was a whole new different game all of a sudden,' MPAA Chairman and former Senator Chris Dodd told the New York Times. '[PIPA and SOPA were] considered by many to be a slam dunk."
"This altogether is a new effect,' Mr. Dodd said, comparing the online movement to the Arab Spring. He could not remember seeing 'an effort that was moving with this degree of support change this dramatically' in the last four decades, he added."

Congratulations guys! We did it! :] Though SOPA and PIPA may come back in some form, we'll be ready!
<3
FIGHT FOR THE FUTURE!
[RIP MegaUpload, you were the best file sharing website ever.]

If I was a religious person, I'd fall to my knees and thank God right now...

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
01-21-2012, 03:19 PM
Find
Unearthlybrutal Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 12

(01-21-2012, 03:19 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote:
(01-21-2012, 01:35 AM)JenniferOrange Wrote: I signed the petiton, and I got an exciting email this afternoon!
SOPA and PIPA were dropped by Congress today.
13 million of us took the time to tell Congress to protect free speech rights on the Internet. Hundreds of millions of people saw the black-outs on the 18th.
The email states:
"The MPAA was shocked and seemingly humbled. "This was a whole new different game all of a sudden,' MPAA Chairman and former Senator Chris Dodd told the New York Times. '[PIPA and SOPA were] considered by many to be a slam dunk."
"This altogether is a new effect,' Mr. Dodd said, comparing the online movement to the Arab Spring. He could not remember seeing 'an effort that was moving with this degree of support change this dramatically' in the last four decades, he added."

Congratulations guys! We did it! :] Though SOPA and PIPA may come back in some form, we'll be ready!
<3
FIGHT FOR THE FUTURE!
[RIP MegaUpload, you were the best file sharing website ever.]

If I was a religious person, I'd fall to my knees and thank God right now...
HahaBig Grin
I miss you MegaUpload

When Life No Longer Exists
Full-conversion mod
01-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Website Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

[Image: tpb_site.png]
I hope mediafire stays around Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2012, 07:37 PM by darkely.)
01-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Find
Sel Offline

Threads: 10

I like how they took down Megaupload just to say, hey, we can do this anyway. It seems like they just wanted to pass SOPA to give themselves the legal justification to do it lol.

Same thing that happened with Bradley Manning before NDAA, then they just pass it to give themselves the legal backing to do what they were already doing.

<3 usa government :3
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2012, 07:45 PM by Sel.)
01-21-2012, 07:43 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(01-21-2012, 07:43 PM)Sel Wrote: I like how they took down Megaupload just to say, hey, we can do this anyway. It seems like they just wanted to pass SOPA to give themselves the legal justification to do it lol.

Same thing that happened with Bradley Manning before NDAA, then they just pass it to give themselves the legal backing to do what they were already doing.

<3 usa government :3

How were they allowed to simply take them down?

01-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Find
ZyLogicX Offline

Threads: 24

Megaupload.com is like a double-edged sword... first of all, anybody can upload anything to that site... to basically, The users are responsible for what they upload.... on the other-end.. MegaUpload.com should of monitored the files they got uploaded...
SOPA and PIPA is what will destroy Internet (even though the U.S. National Congress delayed the Stop Online Piracy Act)

It's what the Mayan's predicted.... Smile
Basically, what SOPA says is: "If you copy a sentence from our movie into your Movie... you need to pay"

Beyond the Mountains of Madness [15%]
This forum is dying.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2012, 09:41 PM by ZyLogicX.)
01-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Find
Sel Offline

Threads: 10

(01-21-2012, 08:57 PM)darkely Wrote: How were they allowed to simply take them down?

The same way they detained Bradley Manning Pre NDAA. The point I'm making is that they're going to do whatever the fuck they want whether or not they have the legislation to back it up.
01-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(01-21-2012, 09:37 PM)ZyLogicX Wrote: Megaupload.com is like a double-edged sword... first of all, anybody can upload anything to that site... to basically, The users are responsible for what they upload.... on the other-end.. MegaUpload.com should of monitored the files they got uploaded...
SOPA and PIPA is what will destroy Internet (even though the U.S. National Congress delayed the Stop Online Piracy Act)

It's what the Mayan's predicted.... Smile
Basically, what SOPA says is: "If you copy a sentence from our movie into your Movie... you need to pay"
Well I am going to quote someone and I am not going to pay shit Big Grin

Quote: "I really think the war on terror is a bunch of bullshit
Just a poor excuse for you to use up all your bullets"
~Lupe Fiasco

01-21-2012, 11:45 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

If any of you have been paying a bit of attention, the SOPA bill has been stopped (for now), but that doesn't mean things are clear. In Europe they are going through with their "own SOPA" called ACTA (which has been around for quite a while) that's getting a hot topic again in some areas. The scariest thing is that all negotiations are done in private. that should scare you.

You might want to get yourself informed about it (if you haven't already), through these links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmQN93Nqq...e.net/acta
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counte..._Agreement
http://www.laquadrature.net/acta

Here's a petition against ACTA, sponsored by Anonymous:
http://www.petitiononline.com/stopacta/petition.html

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2012, 02:11 AM by eliasfrost.)
01-22-2012, 02:09 AM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(01-22-2012, 02:09 AM)nackidno Wrote: If any of you have been paying a bit of attention, the SOPA bill has been stopped (for now), but that doesn't mean things are clear. In Europe they are going through with their "own SOPA" called ACTA (which has been around for quite a while) that's getting a hot topic again in some areas. The scariest thing is that all negotiations are done in private. that should scare you.

You might want to get yourself informed about it (if you haven't already), through these links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmQN93Nqq...e.net/acta
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counte..._Agreement
http://www.laquadrature.net/acta

Here's a petition against ACTA, sponsored by Anonymous:
http://www.petitiononline.com/stopacta/petition.html
It is not good but if you think I am going to live in fear dream on.

01-22-2012, 03:25 AM
Find