Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21
RE: [www.nextfrictionalgame.com] Amnesia Discussion

(02-26-2012, 01:29 AM)Sebatiger Wrote: Someone please shut down this thread.
There's very little reason to shut down this thread, just because certain people in this thread are extremely good at antagonizing other people, does not mean the thread should be locked, it just means that if the flame war does not stop, then said people might get in trouble, and the thread will continue on as before
02-26-2012, 01:48 AM
Website Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(02-25-2012, 02:40 PM)SquigPie Wrote: Using reaction images in a serious discussion[...]

Umm, sorry, were we having a discussion? I thought it was solely blind rage and rant of yours on some poor game you didn't like. Quite a loud one, you managed to derail thread.

(02-25-2012, 07:21 PM)XxRoCkBaNdMaNxX Wrote: Retail, anyone? I sure hope so... Would love to put this in my best friends trick or treating bag Big Grin

I have a bad feeling about this. Doubt it will get retail/box release, most likely Steam/Frictional store only.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
02-26-2012, 04:21 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(02-25-2012, 08:27 PM)Nyarlathotep Wrote: And here, for the hell of it. TheChineseRoom's own response to questioning on the category of Dear Esther. From their Steam forum Q&A
Quote:Again, I'm not being difficult, but I just don't care. I mean, yeah, it
is. Gaming is a broad, broad church and we should celebrate the fact
that stuff as diverse as Esther and Call of Duty and JS Joust and Pac
Man are all from the same place. If I'm watching a movie, I don't care
if it's a thriller or comedy or whatever, I care if it's good. That was
our marker - is this thing we're making good. None of us were interested
in the structural intellectual debate about the conceptual boundaries
of gaming.
Quote:It stays in the game category because we think it's a game. Games are
way more than just platforming and shooting now, so I think people who
can't get out of CoD and Mario need to smell the coffee a bit. I think
if you worry about what something is conceptually rather than whether
you like it or not, you kind of miss the point.
comparing de to cod and mario omg 2 deep 4 me

They are right. Games are way more than just platforming and shooting now, but they're giving less than platforming and shooting. Nothing in Dear Esther, and I mean nothing, can compete with the shooting in Call of Duty 8 or the platforming in Super Mario World because there is nothing anywhere near any other game's level of complexity. Call of Duty 8, apart from bits and pieces of the multiplayer, is just bad trash, but even its singleplayer campaign hasn't yet devolved into something bad enough to rival the brainless HOLD-W fest in Dear Esther.

There is no debate about the experimental, conceptual limits of gaming to be had about DE. Every idea that it "surpasses" (read: "retreats from") is something that has already solidified in games. Interaction is the staple behind everything good in a game. If your world is beautifully crafted, make it useful. If your story is fucking great, connect it to the player through gameplay. If you're trying to convey a certain emotion, don't just put it in the writing and hope the player feels sympathy; actually place him in situations that will make him feel that emotion. Numerous games have been on the forefronts of advancements these fields, including and especially Frictional's games. DE comes nowhere near that because it relies on conveying its world, story and emotional value in a completely uninteractive way, almost exactly like it would if it was a visual novel.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
02-26-2012, 04:45 AM
Website Find
TheGrandHero Offline

Threads: 0

(02-26-2012, 04:21 AM)Kein Wrote:
(02-25-2012, 07:21 PM)XxRoCkBaNdMaNxX Wrote: Retail, anyone? I sure hope so... Would love to put this in my best friends trick or treating bag Big Grin

I have a bad feeling about this. Doubt it will get retail/box release, most likely Steam/Frictional store only.

That and... well, remember what happened when Amnesia 1 got a box release? I mean seriously, look at that. What happened?
02-26-2012, 05:28 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

Quote: They are right. Games are way more than just platforming and shooting now, but they're giving less than platforming and shooting. Nothing in Dear Esther, and I mean nothing, can compete with the shooting in Call of Duty 8 or the platforming in Super Mario World because there is nothing anywhere near any other game's level of complexity. Call of Duty 8, apart from bits and pieces of the multiplayer, is just bad trash,
but even its singleplayer campaign hasn't yet devolved into something
bad enough to rival the brainless HOLD-W fest in Dear Esther.

There is no debate about the experimental, conceptual limits of gaming
to be had about DE. Every idea that it "surpasses" (read: "retreats
from") is something that has already solidified in games. Interaction is
the staple behind everything good in a game. If your world is
beautifully crafted, make it useful. If your story is fucking great,
connect it to the player through gameplay. If you're trying to convey a
certain emotion, don't just put it in the writing and hope the player
feels sympathy; actually place him in situations that will make him feel
that emotion. Numerous games have been on the forefronts of
advancements these fields, including and especially
Frictional's games. DE comes nowhere near that because it relies on
conveying its world, story and emotional value in a completely
uninteractive way, almost exactly like it would if it was a visual
novel.
I'm afraid all of that went a little bit over my head, can you dumb it down perchance?
02-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Website Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

(02-26-2012, 04:45 AM)Lee Wrote: ... is just bad trash, but even its singleplayer campaign hasn't yet devolved into something bad enough to rival the brainless HOLD-W fest in Dear Esther.
Actually you can finish first level of Black Ops with only pressing W button for a little time.

(02-26-2012, 04:45 AM)Lee Wrote: DE comes nowhere near that because it relies on conveying its world, story and emotional value in a completely uninteractive way, almost exactly like it would if it was a visual novel.
Actually some visual novels have much more interactivity and require some critical thinking in some points. They are evolving too.

(This post was last modified: 02-26-2012, 08:51 AM by Tanshaydar.)
02-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Website Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

Quote:comparing de to cod and mario omg 2 deep 4 me

And you're already on the defensive for no reason. Is it really that much of an insult to you if these people wanted to try one game that is solely based on walking around their island and slowly taking in the story and environment details? It was an important aspect to them, that's how they wanted Dear Esther to play. Emphasis on Dear Esther, that's not how they want all games to play. They've already done more gameplay heavy experiments in the past, and obviously will be in the future.

The point of his comparison wasn't to put those games down. He is just pointing out how broad of a category "Video Game" is and that Dear Esther is one, like it or not.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2012, 10:48 AM by Nyarlathotep.)
02-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Find
bobbo Offline

Threads: 1

Hey, I came here after ages away from the forum when I heard there was going to be a new Amnesia. I hear it's going to be walking forward for only 4 hours while trying not to get frustrated by some horrible new game-play elements...

Just kidding of course, great to hear there's going to be a sequel! Now please get along until there's some more info to discuss and not only assumptions.

02-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(02-26-2012, 12:18 PM)bobbo Wrote: Just kidding of course, great to hear there's going to be a sequel! Now please get along until there's some more info to discuss and not only assumptions.
Hey, bobbo, my friend! Nice to see you!

The game isn't going to be a sequel. It is just a new Amnesia game without any connections to TDD.
So, Amnesia is not a series like Penumbra. Every Amnesia have it's own story.

02-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39

Guys, but Amnesia TDD and Amnesia AMFP are at the same universe. Universe means the same world. like Justine.
Do you think that Penumbra is in the same universe of Amnesia? Just LOTS of years later?

listen to boards of canada
02-26-2012, 02:48 PM
Website Find