Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
My thoughts on Custom Stories
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32
RE: My thoughts on Custom Stories

(03-21-2012, 05:06 AM)DaAinGame Wrote: Well I honestly feel a little shameful. My custom story takes up some of the things that are getting old, but I try to use them in ways that aren't like the other stories I've watched, such as *SPOILER FOR MY STORY*

Spoiler below!
While being chased by a water lurker I added a teleporting naked man that flies right into your face. To me, yes this is an unoriginal jumpscare, but its the way I used it? I cannot say that I have actually seen a jump scare take place during a monster chase? Another thing I did. toward the end, a brute shows up quite a bit for a while, but then just stops. Leaves the player wondering when it'll show up again? Argh I'm getting off topic now.
So I guess my question to you guys is:
Even if a story uses the same thing as the rest, what do you think if it just uses it in a different manner? Rather then with a key pickup, make it an item the player would not expect, like a random tinderbox, or when lighting a candle?

By the Way, PewDiePie inspired me into map making, but that doesn't mean I want to go make a map dedicated just to him. I want to make my map to where it can be an enjoyable experience for everybody, and try and keep it as creative as possible.
i dont wanna get too critical towards new custom story creators; but a way to start off is completely throw the teleporting naked guy idea so far into the depths of hell that it may not be reached again...

listen here:

unless you have a reason for the guy being there, either if he falls down and hangs by the neck from a chain or something, dont use it... at all... its the most unoriginal fucking scare i have ever seen, only set out to give people heart attacks. giving people heart attacks DOES NOT make a good story. ''but my story is scary! that means its good!'' no, a story should have depth, character, passion; not teleporting naked people who magically appears due to the will of flutterby faries.

my suggestions to making a decent story: work on the story first, dont set out with scares and shit like that and gradually adapting your story to the scares' will. example: ''that grunt was scary.. it looks like it does because, of some.. craazy scientist who... umm.. is crazy! and umm.. makes naked people into.. servants! for.. some reason... yeah!''.

warning a person about a place, and what lies within, creates a tensity, or expectation of what to come. suspicion is part of human nature, so add a little mystery in your story, aswell as custom content.

custom content is good. creates the debth in your story which you see fit, giving it the feel of your wish. besides, i cant help but say ive seen the same models more than 500 times each, so new content adds a new feel to your story.

CONCLUSION and ANSWER (if youre a TL DR person (too long, didnt read): NO, even though an unoriginal jumpscare is used in a location never been used before, its still unoriginal. TELEPORTING NAKED PEOPLE are so fucking stupid its not even funny. about your brute statement: even amnesia had examples of not making monsters dissapear. JUSTINE: Monster appears for the first time, and leaves the room. if you leave the room too, you have to sneak out, for it will not despawn. PRESERVATION OF REALISM.

and no, for those wondering if ''its a ghost!'' justifies the dissapearing of monsters, NO, it DOESNT. there was only one guy in amnesia that dissapeared, and that was unintentional.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. for FUCKS SAKE, MAKE DECENT CONTENT. dont go off making cheap ''BOOOO!! SCARED YA LOLOLOLOLOL'' maps. this forum lacks good content nowadays, and this whole thread was an attempt to change people's minds for once... even though 90% go TL DR.

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
03-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Find
DaAinGame Offline

Threads: 11

(03-21-2012, 08:56 AM)darkadders Wrote: about your brute statement: even amnesia had examples of not making monsters dissapear. JUSTINE: Monster appears for the first time, and leaves the room. if you leave the room too, you have to sneak out, for it will not despawn. PRESERVATION OF REALISM.

and no, for those wondering if ''its a ghost!'' justifies the dissapearing of monsters, NO, it DOESNT. there was only one guy in amnesia that dissapeared, and that was unintentional.
Now for something like that, I'd have to go look at the original scripts, for I wouldn't know how to make my brute not despawn if the player followed it. For the naked teleporting guys I understand that many people are upset by its use, and I probably won't even use him at all in Chapter 2. I think in Chapter 1 I only used 1, except for 2 other jumpscares that you can clearly see the guy already there. Reason for them spazzing out and scaring you though? Well Realm of Another focuses off the idea of an evil entity being present in the home, residing from the Guest Room (mentioned in some notes). So in my opinion, can't demons usually possess people and cause them to do things against their will? In theory yes. I hope that when you say, add a story to it, that's what you mean, because it is this I'm aiming for. You also talk about notes revealing things to the player, that may build tension? Well I feel as if i accomplished this through the notes saying that the evil resides from the Guest Room, and that you should not go near that area. As for custom content, yes, that would add a lot of character to my story, but you must understand, it is my first map and I'm still learning just how to use the level editor and fine tuning my scripting skills. Perhaps on my next major custom story I could learn how to do that. Either away enough of my rambling again. I do feel slightly unoriginal in my first story, but hey, I was learning script and those types of jump scares are usually some of the easiest to make. In Chapter 2 I'll take into consideration what was said here. Rather then maybe taking more time on thinking of scares, I could spend more time on thinking about how the plot should play out. It's always nice to hear feedback on what to improve on, especially when you're new to it.

Realm Of Another Chapter 1: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-14142.html
Realm Of Another Chapter 2: Postponed
Adder Halls: 5%
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2012, 09:46 AM by DaAinGame.)
03-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Find
Mine Turtle Offline

Threads: 32

(03-21-2012, 09:43 AM)DaAinGame Wrote:
(03-21-2012, 08:56 AM)darkadders Wrote: about your brute statement: even amnesia had examples of not making monsters dissapear. JUSTINE: Monster appears for the first time, and leaves the room. if you leave the room too, you have to sneak out, for it will not despawn. PRESERVATION OF REALISM.

Now for something like that, I'd have to go look at the original scripts, for I wouldn't know how to make my brute not despawn if the player followed it. For the naked teleporting guys I understand that many people are upset by its use, and I probably won't even use him at all in Chapter 2. I think in Chapter 1 I only used 1, except for 2 other jumpscares that you can clearly see the guy already there. Reason for them spazzing out and scaring you though? Well Realm of Another focuses off the idea of an evil entity being present in the home, residing from the Guest Room (mentioned in some notes). So in my opinion, can't demons usually possess people and cause them to do things against their will? In theory yes. I hope that when you say, add a story to it, that's what you mean, because it is this I'm aiming for. You also talk about notes revealing things to the player, that may build tension? Well I feel as if i accomplished this through the notes saying that the evil resides from the Guest Room, and that you should not go near that area. As for custom content, yes, that would add a lot of character to my story, but you must understand, it is my first map and I'm still learning just how to use the level editor and fine tuning my scripting skills. Perhaps on my next major custom story I could learn how to do that. Either away enough of my rambling again. I do feel slightly unoriginal in my first story, but hey, I was learning script and those types of jump scares are usually some of the easiest to make. In Chapter 2 I'll take into consideration what was said here. Rather then maybe taking more time on thinking of scares, I could spend more time on thinking about how the plot should play out. It's always nice to hear feedback on what to improve on, especially when you're new to it.
was really just trying to bump you in the right direction, seeing its your first custom story. make whatever you want.

[Image: 201107142327000.gif]
03-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Spoiler below!
(03-21-2012, 08:56 AM)darkadders Wrote:
(03-21-2012, 05:06 AM)DaAinGame Wrote: Well I honestly feel a little shameful. My custom story takes up some of the things that are getting old, but I try to use them in ways that aren't like the other stories I've watched, such as *SPOILER FOR MY STORY*

While being chased by a water lurker I added a teleporting naked man that flies right into your face. To me, yes this is an unoriginal jumpscare, but its the way I used it? I cannot say that I have actually seen a jump scare take place during a monster chase? Another thing I did. toward the end, a brute shows up quite a bit for a while, but then just stops. Leaves the player wondering when it'll show up again? Argh I'm getting off topic now

Even if a story uses the same thing as the rest, what do you think if it just uses it in a different manner? Rather then with a key pickup, make it an item the player would not expect, like a random tinderbox, or when lighting a candle?

By the Way, PewDiePie inspired me into map making, but that doesn't mean I want to go make a map dedicated just to him. I want to make my map to where it can be an enjoyable experience for everybody, and try and keep it as creative as possible.
i dont wanna get too critical towards new custom story creators; but a way to start off is completely throw the teleporting naked guy idea so far into the depths of hell that it may not be reached again...

listen here:

unless you have a reason for the guy being there, either if he falls down and hangs by the neck from a chain or something, dont use it... at all... its the most unoriginal fucking scare i have ever seen, only set out to give people heart attacks. giving people heart attacks DOES NOT make a good story. ''but my story is scary! that means its good!'' no, a story should have depth, character, passion; not teleporting naked people who magically appears due to the will of flutterby faries.

my suggestions to making a decent story: work on the story first, dont set out with scares and shit like that and gradually adapting your story to the scares' will. example: ''that grunt was scary.. it looks like it does because, of some.. craazy scientist who... umm.. is crazy! and umm.. makes naked people into.. servants! for.. some reason... yeah!''.

warning a person about a place, and what lies within, creates a tensity, or expectation of what to come. suspicion is part of human nature, so add a little mystery in your story, aswell as custom content.

custom content is good. creates the debth in your story which you see fit, giving it the feel of your wish. besides, i cant help but say ive seen the same models more than 500 times each, so new content adds a new feel to your story.

CONCLUSION and ANSWER (if youre a TL DR person (too long, didnt read): NO, even though an unoriginal jumpscare is used in a location never been used before, its still unoriginal. TELEPORTING NAKED PEOPLE are so fucking stupid its not even funny. about your brute statement: even amnesia had examples of not making monsters dissapear. JUSTINE: Monster appears for the first time, and leaves the room. if you leave the room too, you have to sneak out, for it will not despawn. PRESERVATION OF REALISM.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. for FUCKS SAKE, MAKE DECENT CONTENT. dont go off making cheap ''BOOOO!! SCARED YA LOLOLOLOLOL'' maps. this forum lacks good content nowadays, and this whole thread was an attempt to change people's minds for once... even though 90% go TL DR.

Somewhere in the world Flamez3 sits stewing, trying with all his might not to respond to this...

Posting Freak
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2012, 08:41 AM by Kman.)
03-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Website Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Most amusing thread I've read in ages.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2012, 12:42 PM by Traggey.)
03-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48

(03-22-2012, 08:38 AM)kman Wrote:
Spoiler below!
(03-21-2012, 08:56 AM)darkadders Wrote:

While being chased by a water lurker I added a teleporting naked man that flies right into your face. To me, yes this is an unoriginal jumpscare, but its the way I used it? I cannot say that I have actually seen a jump scare take place during a monster chase? Another thing I did. toward the end, a brute shows up quite a bit for a while, but then just stops. Leaves the player wondering when it'll show up again? Argh I'm getting off topic now

listen here:

Somewhere in the world Flamez3 sits stewing, trying with all his might not to respond to this...
Hahahaha, I'm fine with people giving tips for other people (how good those tips are is up to them) I just don't like it when people try to give those tips to me c:

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2012, 08:05 AM by flamez3.)
03-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(03-23-2012, 08:04 AM)flamez3 Wrote: Hahahaha, I'm fine with people giving tips for other people (how good those tips are is up to them) I just don't like it when people try to give those tips to me c:
Isn't that hypocrisy?
04-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Find
flamez3 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 48

I haven't given anyone tips on how to make CS? o.0

04-02-2012, 05:12 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(04-01-2012, 03:43 PM)Statyk Wrote:
(03-23-2012, 08:04 AM)flamez3 Wrote: Hahahaha, I'm fine with people giving tips for other people (how good those tips are is up to them) I just don't like it when people try to give those tips to me c:

Isn't that hypocrisy?
It's democrazy!

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

04-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Find