Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What is Amnesia: The Dark Descent
wolis Offline

Threads: 3
RE: What is Unknown/Lux Tenebras

(04-30-2009, 02:32 PM)Kedjane Wrote: I've personally been waiting for a game where every enemy has it's own model

Anyone played Dead Space?

I get the impression those critters are rather randomly constructed.

Its on my list of games to get after I buy a new PC that can run them.

Thankfully Penumbra games run well on my current PC.

..___ http://creativeobjectworld.com
/\___\ a free-form, text-based, browser-based,
\/___/ real-time, multi-user virtual world
06-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(04-30-2009, 02:32 PM)Kedjane Wrote: I've personally been waiting for a game where every enemy has it's own model

Not really necessary is it? Why would you create a lot of models for actors that looks almost the same?

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
06-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

I do believe that a game with individual models would be cool, but random construction of them as you go along is much more technically sound. I also don't really have a problem anyway with a small amount of models in a game as long as they look good or scare the hell out of me. The only graphical improvement I should hope for in Unknown is a better looking depth of field blur. Pen's was very pixelated.

(06-09-2009, 03:41 PM)wolis Wrote: [Dead Space is] on my list of games to get after I buy a new PC that can run them.
Dead Space was a letdown man. It's a copy of Doom 3 except with it's already lacking variety divided by a million. The acting is insufferable, especially when your teammates get all up in front of your screen on the magic projector screen in your wrist. The controls are shit and you feel like a robot (I mean you seriously can't turn at all without thrusting your mouse to the left or right.).

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
06-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Website Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Copy of Doom 3?

Well, to be honest: All the stuff is copied from other people. Music, movies, art, video games...
People are running out of ideas. No more imagination since everything is so automated that we don't have to use our brains anymore... Everything is made for us already.

Like: What NEW games there are coming? Something that haves REALLY new ideas!

Hold on: Sequels! - Same old... Nothing new.

Like I remember when Portal came out: It was something NEW, and that's why, I was interested about it.

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2009, 07:48 PM by Ano.)
06-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Website Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

(06-09-2009, 05:05 PM)nackidno Wrote:

Not really necessary is it? Why would you create a lot of models for actors that looks almost the same?

Why wouldn't you?
Having the same guy attack over and over, unless that's how it's supposed to be, is honestly pretty bothersome. In games such as Half Life 2, which has a very good motivation not to show the true faces of your enemies, or games with masked enemy soldiers it's OK - but in games such as Penumbra where there are just a few enemies encountered, who are (were) real people and not just nameless attackers, I really think enemies should have unique faces. Even more so if the enemies can't be killed, in which case you'll usually face them more than once.

(06-09-2009, 07:44 PM)Scraper Wrote: Like: What NEW games there are coming? Something that haves REALLY new ideas!

Hold on: Sequels! - Same old... Nothing new.

Like I remember when Portal came out: It was something NEW, and that's why, I was interested about it.

There's plenty of new stuff coming all the time. Portal and Mirror's Edge were both very different in my opinion and with truly future technology such as Natal we're not far away from a dimension as new to gaming as the touch screen and accelerometers have been to portable gaming recently.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
06-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Yeah, those two games were something new.

But to be honest, I just heard about Natal 'cause of you, and I'm not so excited about it...
I've played the EyeToy on PS2, it's something similar to it. But not in every way, but the idea is kinda same. And I don't wanna jump in front of my screen to play a game. Tongue:

If I want to, I buy Sing Star or Guitar Hero or something... But Natal? Hmm... Doesn't pick up my interest that much.

I just want something new, like good storylines that haven't been used and new ideas in gameplay etc.

06-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Website Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

(06-09-2009, 10:49 PM)Scraper Wrote: Yeah, those two games were something new.

But to be honest, I just heard about Natal 'cause of you, and I'm not so excited about it...
I've played the EyeToy on PS2, it's something similar to it. But not in every way, but the idea is kinda same. And I don't wanna jump in front of my screen to play a game. Tongue:

If I want to, I buy Sing Star or Guitar Hero or something... But Natal? Hmm... Doesn't pick up my interest that much.

I just want something new, like good storylines that haven't been used and new ideas in gameplay etc.

You obviously haven't read all about Natal. They say (and actually, I believe them, the technology they have demonstrated is fully possible) that Natal won't only detect motions such as you insanely waving your arms around, but also be able to recognize things such as face expressions and voice commands. Imagine this fully integrated into an RPG - if it works the way it's supposed to you could actually walk up and start talking to your TV screen, while the in-game character keeps looking at you and responds to your facial expressions and movements while taking. Or imagine it in a first person fighting game like Red Steel, you'd be able to freely punch your enemies, block and all such in real life, just the way you want to instead of just having two-three default punches.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
06-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Hmm... Yeah, sounds great. But I just don't want video games to be like that. Tongue:

06-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Website Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

Mhmmm, i'm pretty sure the human enemies of fallout 3 were randomly created (except for mission enemies) e.g. raider, mercs etc.
For unknown, if the weapon pick up system was employed, than it would have to be that the impro-weapon would break very quickly.
As for sheer originality, let's face it.
Halo? Orgignal genius? Grade A Bullsh*t. Ok, so we have:

The Covenant- a technologically advanced race that believes in honour and has a religous social structure. They have energy shields, plasma weapons and huge motherships. they also have traitors who converse with the humans. they have the tech to advancely warp jump etc.

Humans- Fighting a dying war, they are relying on a group of people (Keys, Johnson). Their main weapons are gauss rifles. their hopes are on the main character of Master chief, a being of mysterious origins.

Flood- a pestilant menace that infests hosts, it is an ancient evil that has re awakened. All minions are ultimately controled by an overmind, the gravemind. It is rapid spreading and changes the environment it lives in, and is intelligent. they feed/ infect sentian beings.

Nowwwwwwwwwwwwww... lets draw comparisons with.... Starcraft.

Protoss- advanced beings that are religious about the forerunners,, the xelnaga. they have tech such as motherships, advanced warp speed, plasma weapons,. and trators who are allies with humans.

Terran- Being hit hard, they are fractured and weak. The main weapon for infantry is a gauss rifle, with the storyline centring on mengsk, Stukov, Dugaal) the race relies upon Mainly Jim raynor, a man with an unspoken past.

Zerg - A species that has been dormant for millenia, they infest buildings and humans, and use them as minions. the zerg change their environment with ' the creep' which turns the ground into a living organism. No matter what world the zerg can adapt and change it. They are controlled by a huge overmind... the overmind.
Again, the zerg either feed or infect sentian life, e.g the hydralisk etc.

See what i mean? their hasn't been an original game idea in ages, they all are bastard sons of one another. And that list was off the top of my heaD!
which was why i was kinda happy when i discovered penumbra.

Not an image
06-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

@ Kedjane

I watched videos about Project Natal, and it looks kinda amazing!
But:

See this video!

I think it's scripted and acted? But if not... Then I might really look more into this!

06-10-2009, 10:17 AM
Website Find