Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: What would you rate AMFP out of 10?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
1-2
6.99%
20 6.99%
3-4
10.14%
29 10.14%
5-6
22.38%
64 22.38%
7-8
33.57%
96 33.57%
9-10
26.92%
77 26.92%
Total 286 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
AMFP Member Review Thread
silentmumbler Offline

Threads: 0
RE: AMFP Member Review Thread

(09-16-2013, 09:46 PM)Diango12 Wrote: Don't get mad at consumer expectation when its fully in control of the studios who built up the hype towards an Amnesia game. Trailers, teasers, statements about the game being scarier etc etc. They called it Amnesia ffs. When in reality its Dear Esther 2. You really can't get around that.

But some of you are right. We should have dug through mountains of tweets and not publicly disclosed statements from TCR stating el a fine print that this is in actuality unlike the Amnesia game even though they are titling that.
Your second point is entirely valid. All of the public advertising was done to hype us up for a scarier, more intense, less "hand-holding" Amnesia experience, and this is undoubtedly the number one reason people are so pissed off about AMFP.

However, just because the experience is not the same as TDD doesn't mean it should be Dear Esther 2 rather than Amnesia 2. It is in the same universe and the same timeline as TDD, and is therefore an Amnesia game.

It's like how The Bureau Declassified is still an XCOM game. It's an entirely different genre, but it's set in the same universe. You can call it a spin-off if that makes you feel better about the different style.
09-16-2013, 10:00 PM
Find
Gilligan's Hell Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 17

(09-16-2013, 10:00 PM)silentmumbler Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 09:46 PM)Diango12 Wrote: Don't get mad at consumer expectation when its fully in control of the studios who built up the hype towards an Amnesia game. Trailers, teasers, statements about the game being scarier etc etc. They called it Amnesia ffs. When in reality its Dear Esther 2. You really can't get around that.

But some of you are right. We should have dug through mountains of tweets and not publicly disclosed statements from TCR stating el a fine print that this is in actuality unlike the Amnesia game even though they are titling that.
Your second point is entirely valid. All of the public advertising was done to hype us up for a scarier, more intense, less "hand-holding" Amnesia experience, and this is undoubtedly the number one reason people are so pissed off about AMFP.

However, just because the experience is not the same as TDD doesn't mean it should be Dear Esther 2 rather than Amnesia 2. It is in the same universe and the same timeline as TDD, and is therefore an Amnesia game.

It's like how The Bureau Declassified is still an XCOM game. It's an entirely different genre, but it's set in the same universe. You can call it a spin-off if that makes you feel better about the different style.
Exactly. take the GTA Series as an example. none of the games has anything in common except for places and vehicle and etc etc.

The International Narcotics Traffic
09-16-2013, 10:02 PM
Find
Fortigurn Offline

Threads: 6

(09-16-2013, 10:00 PM)silentmumbler Wrote: However, just because the experience is not the same as TDD doesn't mean it should be Dear Esther 2 rather than Amnesia 2. It is in the same universe and the same timeline as TDD, and is therefore an Amnesia game.

It is definitely a game, it's a very good game, and it's certainly an Amnesia game. It just doesn't provide the experience many long term Amnesia fans hoped for.
09-17-2013, 04:01 AM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

"Long term Amnesia fans"

Lmao. Amnesia was one game. Nothing very long term about its fans.

You should have instead said ''long time Frictional Games' fans"
09-17-2013, 04:31 AM
Find
Fortigurn Offline

(09-17-2013, 04:31 AM)Nuits Grace Wrote: "Long term Amnesia fans"

Lmao. Amnesia was one game. Nothing very long term about its fans.

Behold. Some of us have been active fans and supporters of the game for over two years. We've played and contributed to many mods (I've recorded voice acting for two), and developed the Amnesia community extensively over that time. Yes, long term Amnesia fans.
09-17-2013, 04:43 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

I just found out there was another monster in the game. It's weird, all the pigs looked/sounded the same to me, other than tesla.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2013, 04:51 AM by Ghieri.)
09-17-2013, 04:51 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

I posted my review of the game here.

Main points from that review:

(09-17-2013, 04:51 AM)Chronofrog Wrote: (AAMFP is) passable as a horror game. Very tense moments of buildup and scary as fuck monster encounters. Story is also great, not as believable or as engaging as the original, but still a nice concept.

(09-17-2013, 04:51 AM)Chronofrog Wrote: ATDD felt very vast to me. Through the hub-based exploration structure, I thought that my journey through the game was my own experience because I could visit all the places in my own order and solve all the puzzles in my own way. AAMFP was just me watching the adventures of Oswald.

(09-17-2013, 04:51 AM)Chronofrog Wrote: Daniel > Oswald:

Daniel is almost entirely a victim of circumstance.His situation was extreme, and we know that he honestly feels guilty and has deep regret for everything he's done. There's the most important implication: 'Daniel could have been me.'

None of us could have been Oswald. He really doesn't seem too different from your average cynical teenager who just discovered that the world can be a piece of shit and just wants to kill everything.

(09-17-2013, 04:51 AM)Chronofrog Wrote: Also, Alexander beats Oswald's shadow self in terms of villainy by a large margin. The baron has no remorse, and all his vile actions are done for personal gain. At least ATDD made you experience the torture rooms and see Daniel's insanity up close. All we know in AAMFP was that a ton of organ laceration and surgery happened to the people that got thrown into the machine, but we never see or hear their personal suffering.

Overall rating: 7.3 / 10

[Image: p229xcq]
09-17-2013, 04:59 AM
Find
Fortigurn Offline

(09-17-2013, 04:51 AM)Chronofrog Wrote: ATDD felt very vast to me. Through the hub-based exploration structure, I thought that my journey through the game was my own experience because I could visit all the places in my own order and solve all the puzzles in my own way. AAMFP was just me watching the adventures of Oswald.

I agree with this. I could live with the linear non-hub layout of MFP, but it didn't feel as satisfying as TDD. Additionally, I was most surprised by the way I was actively herded by the game; at various points, new barriers would appear (suddenly locked doors, closed gates, steam vents), preventing me from moving in any direction other than where the game wanted me to go next. Excuse me, but I want my free roaming back please.

Back tracking to check if you missed anything, is an important part of the exploration process and also extends the gameplay. At one point in the bilge pump room I noted an alternative route to explore, then chose to go another way and see what that had to offer. After completing a puzzle, a door suddenly closed and I wasn't unable to return to that alternative route. Fortunately the door opened again after I completed another task, but I was concerned that I might have lost an opportunity for exploration due to over-zealous attempts to ensure 'no progression blocks'.
09-17-2013, 05:09 AM
Find
Fortigurn Offline

Seven hours in, and I've just completed the room with the control rods. Additions to my working hypothesis.

Spoiler below!
The voice instructing Mandus is his alter ego (or original self, prior to the breakdown), projected either onto the Machine as Mandus attempts to distance himself psychologically from his creation, or else projected onto one of his creations, such as one of the man-pigs. Either way it was clear he was only being used to restart the machine, adding weight to my hypothesis that Mandus was responsible for disabling it in the first place, and that his darker half is now in command, urging him to restore it. The children appear to have died in Mexico, or shortly after. Mandus feels responsible, and probably was.
09-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Find
Thief1337 Offline

Threads: 1

Disappointed by the game. It should not have been called Amnesia. Just "A Machine for Pigs" would have been good. I was not horrified neither terrified. It lacked so many features and options to inflict that terror, which ATDD did perfectly. And I'm not interested in puzzles for children either.

Frictional, you guys alone should work on your games from now on. I hope this is an experience you guys will learn something from because, as an Amnesia game, TCR almost made it a flop. Not worth the wait, and definitely not worth the delay.

[Image: wksljl.gif]
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2013, 07:10 PM by Thief1337.)
09-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Find