For your first map you did a pretty good job. There are, however, multiple things you should fix:
- Try to put similar lights together. In the room where you first start, you had light sources all around the room which messed up the ambient light pretty bad. Group similar looking lights together and try to keep it to a minimum. There were also 'dark spots' - areas where light couldn't reach and as a result was pitch black.
- Learn to keep a theme. I'm not trying to be harsh, but you had a torture room inside what I thought was a bedroom. Torture chambers should be kept in an area that general transitions from the main area to the dungeons. For example, dungeons are usually kept at a lower level such as the basement, not ground level with living quarters.
- You seem to place items anywhere you want. Is there a reason why rocks were inside a chest? There were also multiple chests that were empty to begin with, unless you forgot to put something in them.
- The 'mansion' had a lot of missing wall textures. I could see both through them and their ending points which is NOT good. The slime you used on the walls seem plastered on like a picture and not actually stuck to the wall. If I were you, I would fix this right away.
- You placed way too many tinderboxes and oils throughout the maps - I had about 25 tinderboxes when I finished the story. The point of oils and tinderboxes are to give the player something to work with after being in the dark for a majority of time, not have in abundance.
- The notes look like they were written by a child. Not only do they contain poor grammar, one of the notes censored the word "shit". Now I don't know about you, but in a game like this a simple word like that should not be censored.
- The keys should be more ominous than just 'door key 1' and so forth. Be creative! Actually, you should add puzzles instead of keys to vary the gameplay.
- Where's the music at?! All I heard was my footsteps and the occasional monster music, but aside from that it was pretty quiet.
- The map layout is very bland - mostly square rooms with a door. Let your imagination run wild and build huge rooms instead of these little boxes! Use circular wall textures and big glass panes instead of these dinky windows!
I'm can name off a handful more stuff, but these are the major points I found to be critical. Remember, I'm trying to help you not bash you.
Now with all that aside, I'd like to point out the positive feature of your map:
- The one corridor the monster was patrolling took me completely by surprise. I intially thought it would dissappear after going around one or two times, but when I figured out it kept going in circles I nearly quit the game out of sheer terror. I could hear the screeching of it moving around me and I dared not open the door. It eventually bust the door down and I ran out. You did a fine job with that scene!
You may be thinking "wow this guy really hated this map", but in all honesty I found it enjoyable. It was pretty long and kept me busy, so I consider it to be a success. You did a good job considering this is your first map. I hope to play more of your creations!