Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[SOLVED] Custom Story Gone Missing
JenniferOrange Offline

Threads: 43
[SOLVED] Custom Story Gone Missing

Hello; I'm kind of an extreme newbie here, so apologies if I posted this and there's one similar.
I have created a very simple tutorial map following all instructions through the tutorial. When I save my map in HPL2, I can see it in the folder. When I quit out of HPL2 and look for it in the folder, I don't see it! I even tried an entire computer search, it finds nothing. The only way I can see it is if, while in HPL2, I choose to save it to my desktop. It appears, but even if I drag it into the folder it doesn't show in my game.. Sad I also see that it's saved as MAP, and the person tutorial I've watched has theirs saved as Linker Address Map. Anyone know what's going on, or how I can fix it?
Thanks.
Also, if you'd like to see any of my files, feel free to ask and I'll post them.

Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2011, 02:15 AM by JenniferOrange.)
06-10-2011, 02:18 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
RE: Custom Story Gone Missing

Here's a thread I found regarding the .map extension: here

Basically, the .map file is really just a text file that explicitly details the position and attributes of every object in your level. You can even open it up in your text editor and modify it, as I often do to edit multiple objects at once.

As for your missing map files, I am clueless. Sorry Sad

(This post was last modified: 06-10-2011, 02:43 AM by palistov.)
06-10-2011, 02:43 AM
Find
JenniferOrange Offline

(06-10-2011, 02:43 AM)palistov Wrote: Here's a thread I found regarding the .map extension: here

Basically, the .map file is really just a text file that explicitly details the position and attributes of every object in your level. You can even open it up in your text editor and modify it, as I often do to edit multiple objects at once.

As for your missing map files, I am clueless. Sorry Sad

Weird, because it won't allow me to open my map file. I try Open With... Level Editor and I get an error message telling me it can't find all of the files. Sad Thank you for the thread link, I'll check it out.

Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.
06-10-2011, 03:00 AM
Find
TFEF Offline

Threads: 0

The missing map file is a weird thing that happens with Windows. I was researching the subject, having the same problem as you, and found out this:

-Windows is iffy with saving things in the Program Files folder. There is a way to make it display things correctly, but it's a long task that even I am too lazy to do.
-If you want your map file, open up the Level Editor from Amnesia/redist as normal, and go to File - Open. Go to the folder your map file is in, and the Level Editor should be able to see your file. Open it, and save it in a location such as your desktop. When you drag it into the folder it was in before, it will show up properly.
06-10-2011, 03:10 AM
Find
JenniferOrange Offline

(06-10-2011, 03:10 AM)TFEF Wrote: The missing map file is a weird thing that happens with Windows. I was researching the subject, having the same problem as you, and found out this:

-Windows is iffy with saving things in the Program Files folder. There is a way to make it display things correctly, but it's a long task that even I am too lazy to do.
-If you want your map file, open up the Level Editor from Amnesia/redist as normal, and go to File - Open. Go to the folder your map file is in, and the Level Editor should be able to see your file. Open it, and save it in a location such as your desktop. When you drag it into the folder it was in before, it will show up properly.

Curse you, Windows. I run on Windows Vista, if it helps. I have tried saving to my desktop, and it does appear and I'm able to put it in the folder, yet it's still not playable.. there's also a weird symbol on the map. I'm having a feeling there's something wrong with my Level Editor, because the same symbol appears there as well. I'll post a picture of what the symbol looks like.
Here is what the symbol looks like:
(apologies for horrible quality.)

Attached Files
.jpg   045.JPG (Size: 265.5 KB / Downloads: 148)

Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2011, 03:20 AM by JenniferOrange.)
06-10-2011, 03:15 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

JenniferOrange, make sure the HPL2 suite is installed into the Amnesia directory. If it's not, just unzip the contents of the file you downloaded into the game's root.

06-10-2011, 03:23 AM
Find
JenniferOrange Offline

(06-10-2011, 03:23 AM)palistov Wrote: JenniferOrange, make sure the HPL2 suite is installed into the Amnesia directory. If it's not, just unzip the contents of the file you downloaded into the game's root.

It's installed into Program Files> Amnesia-The Dark Descent> redist
everything was unzipped in here, is that correct?

Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.
06-10-2011, 03:25 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Yep that's correct. I guess that's not the issue. What exactly is the error you get when you open your map?

06-10-2011, 03:29 AM
Find
JenniferOrange Offline

(06-10-2011, 03:29 AM)palistov Wrote: Yep that's correct. I guess that's not the issue. What exactly is the error you get when you open your map?

So first I get multiple errors that say:
Could not find data folder: maps/
Could not find data folder: static_objects/
Could not find data folder: entities/
Could not find data folder: lights/
Could not find data folder: billboards/
Could not find data folder: particles/
Could not find data folder: sounds/
Could not find data folder: textures/decals/

Then my Level Editor opens with another error message that says:
FATAL ERROR: Could not load vertex buffer from mesh 'core_box.dae'
and then it crashes.
Note: I tried changing the program the map opens to to Amnesia.exe, and this error comes up every time I attempt to change it back to Level Editor.

Ba-da bing, ba-da boom.
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2011, 03:38 AM by JenniferOrange.)
06-10-2011, 03:36 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

That's bizarre, especially since your HPL2 is installed in the correct location. I use Steam so I am unfamiliar with the store-bought version Sad

06-10-2011, 04:27 AM
Find