Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Complete newcomer to Map Editing!
89ShadowUK Offline

Threads: 4
Complete newcomer to Map Editing!

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and to map editing, so first of all, HI GUYS!

My map making skills aren't exactly advanced, if anyone remembers Operation Flashpoint and it's succesors (Armed Assault, Armed Assault Two) - I have some minor experience in creating maps for these two games, but my scripting was never really that advanced, I could write a basic script to say - make a small car explode when the ingame trigger attatched too it had been triggered, had my colleges in my clan surprised many a time with IED based triggers haha.

But obviously the Amnesia level editor is completely different, I'm building from scratch, I don't have a handy in-game editor to do this or simple comands, I mean, for my previous example of the IED all I had to do was pop a command line to execute the appropriate script, so something like
Quote:exec "carbomb1.innit" true 1
or something. ANYWAYS.

So I came up with a story, well, the beginning of a story at the moment, nothing particularly thought out. Essentially I'd like to make the opening level. I've built my level, we have a simple corridor, with four large bedrooms on either side of the corridor. But I'd like a few questions answered seeing as I haven't been able to seem to find them in YouTube tutorials;

One, with windows in the game, I've seen particles mentioned for getting light to shine through, infact I saw a tutorial a while ago to do it, but can't find it now - so if you know it, please link!

Two, are traumatic/horrific experiences (that effect insanity, or just a door swinging open for example) all done on scripts? If so, I'd appreciate it if anyone could show me a basic script for having a door fly open, and how to get that script to run once the player hits a certain spot on the map.

Third, I have a basic map, I have my player start location, but how exactly do we load this into the game, and have a little run around, just to check all the walls etc are exactly as they should be before I start faffinf around with scripting.

And finally, within the players starting room, there's a notice board to his left - on this there's random scriblings, and a note (a story note) - how do you apply the text for this note? Kind of eager to add the first element of story to my 8 room corridoor adventure!

Sorry if you've all heard this drabble before, but heck, I'm a newbie, and you guys are all just lovely - any help at all will be greatly appreciated! Any good tutorials you've made, or seen, in regards to physical map making, or scripting, link them if you will!

Many thanks guys, have a good day and happy amnesia modding!

Matthew.
06-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
RE: Complete newcomer to Map Editing!

1) Those particles are the ps_light_dust.ps particle system. There's also a large version. The particle tool is accessed by clicking the light blue atom symbol on the toolbar on the left, or pressing 4. If you're referring to the light rays that shine from the window, those are billboards. Click the whiteboard icon on the left toolbar, or press 3.

2) Yes, most everything in the game is scripted or modified in the editor. Flashbacks, insanity events, trauma/horror events, puzzles, etc.

3) To load a map, you need to use the debug menu, which can be enabled by modifying the user settings. Visit this webpage to learn how to set up a dev environment. Here. The other option is to make your map into a custom story, which is what I'd suggest doing instead. Click here and follow the steps. Then you start your story from the main menu and can still use the debug menu to use a variety of dev tools.

On notes: if you want to create them, you need to put them in your lang file. Click the above link regarding creating a custom story. That will help you set up your lang file, which is where note names and texts, diaries, mementos, and a variety of other in-game text is stored.

Good luck!

P.S. Just keep working at it, you'll get the hang of everything eventually. Smile

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2011, 10:51 AM by palistov.)
06-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10

This thread may come handy!
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...o+tutorial
06-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Find
89ShadowUK Offline

Thanks for the tips and stuff guys, I've tried using the actual light tools (Spotlight I think it is) and the particle, and still can't get light to shine through that window, not sure if I've got a setting wrong or something, I'll keep tinkering and using your handy tutorials! Thanks again!
06-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

(06-19-2011, 11:40 AM)89ShadowUK Wrote: Thanks for the tips and stuff guys, I've tried using the actual light tools (Spotlight I think it is) and the particle, and still can't get light to shine through that window, not sure if I've got a setting wrong or something, I'll keep tinkering and using your handy tutorials! Thanks again!

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but when using spot light with a normal static window. You shouldn't actually put the light behind the window.
Spoiler below!
[Image: lighte.jpg]
06-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Find
89ShadowUK Offline

(06-19-2011, 11:46 AM)Khyrpa Wrote:
(06-19-2011, 11:40 AM)89ShadowUK Wrote: Thanks for the tips and stuff guys, I've tried using the actual light tools (Spotlight I think it is) and the particle, and still can't get light to shine through that window, not sure if I've got a setting wrong or something, I'll keep tinkering and using your handy tutorials! Thanks again!

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but when using spot light with a normal static window. You shouldn't actually put the light behind the window.
Spoiler below!
[Image: lighte.jpg]

Yeah it's perched just infront on mine, couldn't nab me a screenshot of your properties on that light? just so I can see what settings etc you have on it? About to take a break so I can leave you alone then =D
Thanks!

06-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Here you have
Spoiler below!
[Image: blehblah.jpg]
06-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Find
89ShadowUK Offline

Yo guys, sorry to ask again. Been trying forever to try and get my map to show in the game, just can't seem to do it, followed the tutorial to the t, seriously,

<Main
Name="Mansion1"
Author="Shadow"
ImgFile=""

MapFolder="custom_stories/MansionTest"
StartMap="Mansion1"
StartPos=""
/>

Is what I have at the moment, I've tried that, plus the same (without the MapFolder command), and with startmap as Mansion1.map, am I just being completely stupid or?

Thanks in advance!
06-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

To set up a dev environment, you have to build your maps out of the /maps/ folder in Amnesia's game files. You can't build anywhere else, because it automatically checks for whatever you put in the MapFolder field INSIDE the maps folder. So what you're really pointing to is maps/custom_stories/MansionTest/Mansion1.map.

06-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Find