Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Did this thread help you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
This thread was thorough and very helpful.
77.78%
42 77.78%
Helped a little, but needs work.
9.26%
5 9.26%
Didn't leave with any new knowledge than when I came
9.26%
5 9.26%
A little confusing, didn't help much.
0%
0 0%
Needs a lot of work/Not helpful
3.70%
2 3.70%
Total 54 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Do's and Don'ts of a Serious Custom Story
Miss Rigi Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Do's and Don'ts of a Custom Story

This makes me want to write an article on different types of narration. Good read, really does play true.

Vos rapio meus spiritus absentis.
Voice Actress
09-02-2011, 01:08 AM
Find
ZRPT1 Offline

Threads: 4

Quote:3. Be Original!

Let's be honest, no one likes to see the same thing over and over again, it's just boring. So why should the same not apply for video games? Granted, scare points, locked doors, levers, traps, etc. are standards in an Amnesia custom map, if you are the one that stands out from the crowd and does something different, someone will notice and like it. Being original can be as simple as using custom skins/items/models, using items in creative ways, or even make the player do something they really don't want to, or that they don't expect.

Use custom skins, items or models. Sure, it's difficult and not everyone knows how. But if you have the skills, utilize them! It's not like someone's going to say that they disrespect your choice to be original. It will only ever get you praise for going that extra mile!

Use items in creative ways! Sure we all know that there are tinderboxes, lanterns, oil containers, hollow needles, keys, etc. But what if you were to use something weird. Like putting a book in front of a painting of a man holding a book to unlock a door behind the painting. People are creative. Letting go and just doing something creative like that will really put your map above the others.

Force the player to do something weird or unexpected. This is a horror game! Fuck with people's very thought process and mind rape them (Excuse my french)! If you make a player have to jump off of a tall building that would surely kill them (or so they think), then make them wake up safe and sound, that will knock their socks off! Chase them down a narrow hallway and force them into a room with 3 grunts (make them poofers for all I care), and put the door on the other side of the grunts. Hell! I'm the player, make me cry!

I think you're being a bit harsh on this one. Most of this stuff is really hard to implement for beginners, me being one of them. It's a lot easier to say then to do. I consider this first custom story my "Handling" for my first REAL project. Does it mean it's going to be half-assed? No. Does it mean that i'm not putting effort into it? No. Do i think it's going to be a good custom story? Hopefully. I'm just trying to say a lot of this stuff has to do with the fact that the community is expecting absolute perfect quality stories from it's newer scripters/modelers, but we need time and experience to do that. An example is that i'm trying to implement something somewhat complicated into my first map, but being a first time scripter it's hard to do that.

A lot of map makers give up after there first map because they hear negative stuff about their maps, etc. But what a lot of the community doesn't understand is that if it's a persons first time going and doing something, they need CONSTRUCTIVE feedback, not being harsh and saying "Everything was too bland, terrible map, worst map ever" etc. Just because YOU are good at doing some of the stuff that they're learning doesn't mean you have to flat out ruin their confidence. I'm not saying this is everyone on the forums but i see it often.....
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2011, 01:17 AM by ZRPT1.)
09-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Find
Miss Rigi Offline

(09-02-2011, 01:15 AM)ZRPT1 Wrote: they need CONSTRUCTIVE feedback

Half of it is the feedback itself, the other half is the receiving end. Not that I'm trying to defend or point fingers at any party, but there is much to be considered when thinking about why some new story-makers quit. Some of us just don't know how to tell the difference between critiques and plain shit-calling, and some of us just don't know how to write a critique that doesn't sound like plain shit-calling. In all, it would take a devotion from both the makers and the reviewers to truly perfect that kind of environment we all like to fantasize about.

Vos rapio meus spiritus absentis.
Voice Actress
09-02-2011, 01:25 AM
Find
Fetishman Offline

(09-02-2011, 01:15 AM)ZRPT1 Wrote:
Quote:3. Be Original!

Let's be honest, no one likes to see the same thing over and over again, it's just boring. So why should the same not apply for video games? Granted, scare points, locked doors, levers, traps, etc. are standards in an Amnesia custom map, if you are the one that stands out from the crowd and does something different, someone will notice and like it. Being original can be as simple as using custom skins/items/models, using items in creative ways, or even make the player do something they really don't want to, or that they don't expect.

Use custom skins, items or models. Sure, it's difficult and not everyone knows how. But if you have the skills, utilize them! It's not like someone's going to say that they disrespect your choice to be original. It will only ever get you praise for going that extra mile!

Use items in creative ways! Sure we all know that there are tinderboxes, lanterns, oil containers, hollow needles, keys, etc. But what if you were to use something weird. Like putting a book in front of a painting of a man holding a book to unlock a door behind the painting. People are creative. Letting go and just doing something creative like that will really put your map above the others.

Force the player to do something weird or unexpected. This is a horror game! Fuck with people's very thought process and mind rape them (Excuse my french)! If you make a player have to jump off of a tall building that would surely kill them (or so they think), then make them wake up safe and sound, that will knock their socks off! Chase them down a narrow hallway and force them into a room with 3 grunts (make them poofers for all I care), and put the door on the other side of the grunts. Hell! I'm the player, make me cry!

I think you're being a bit harsh on this one. Most of this stuff is really hard to implement for beginners, me being one of them. It's a lot easier to say then to do. I consider this first custom story my "Handling" for my first REAL project. Does it mean it's going to be half-assed? No. Does it mean that i'm not putting effort into it? No. Do i think it's going to be a good custom story? Hopefully. I'm just trying to say a lot of this stuff has to do with the fact that the community is expecting absolute perfect quality stories from it's newer scripters/modelers, but we need time and experience to do that. An example is that i'm trying to implement something somewhat complicated into my first map, but being a first time scripter it's hard to do that.

A lot of map makers give up after there first map because they hear negative stuff about their maps, etc. But what a lot of the community doesn't understand is that if it's a persons first time going and doing something, they need CONSTRUCTIVE feedback, not being harsh and saying "Everything was too bland, terrible map, worst map ever" etc. Just because YOU are good at doing some of the stuff that they're learning doesn't mean you have to flat out ruin their confidence. I'm not saying this is everyone on the forums but i see it often.....

I appreciate your input. But this do's and don'ts was in the view of the player. I'm also really new to making maps and am making one myself and know how you feel. But as a player, I expect certain things from the map i'm playing. This isn't in the view of a level designer, nor is this a guide for beginners as there are plenty of those out there. If you are making a map as a "proof of concept" as you said, then label it as such, rather than labeling it a release. If constructive feedback is what you need, then label it as a proof of concept and ask for constructive feedback rather than opinions.
09-02-2011, 01:26 AM
Find
ZRPT1 Offline

Threads: 4

(09-02-2011, 01:25 AM)Miss Rigi Wrote:
(09-02-2011, 01:15 AM)ZRPT1 Wrote: they need CONSTRUCTIVE feedback

Half of it is the feedback itself, the other half is the receiving end. Not that I'm trying to defend or point fingers at any party, but there is much to be considered when thinking about why some new story-makers quit. Some of us just don't know how to tell the difference between critiques and plain shit-calling, and some of us just don't know how to write a critique that doesn't sound like plain shit-calling. In all, it would take a devotion from both the makers and the reviewers to truly perfect that kind of environment we all like to fantasize about.

I completely agree with that statement, the map maker has to understand it's there first map and it's not going to be perfect, and that it's usually a learning experience. I'm just saying that I've SEEN people critique peoples work in nasty fashion is all.

Not saying that the map maker shouldn't put effort into accepting that there is something wrong with his map, but it shouldn't be as simple as. "There are so many better maps out there like *Compare to a custom story such as La Caza, or Abduction, a few to name*, yours is terrible and this is the reason WHY." The map maker (Most likely, not always.) doesn't make a full conversion mod his first custom story. WHY WOULD YOU compare a novices work to that of someone with much higher experience while bashing on their work that they COULD have put a TON of effort into it just getting the ropes. It really puts a drab on some people (I'm not really saying me, i'm just thinking for other people here) when the community expects top notch quality from a novice.

I'm not trying to defend lazy map makers, i just think that this community expects a lot from new people entering it.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2011, 01:31 AM by ZRPT1.)
09-02-2011, 01:30 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

never, ever, EVER use emoticons in ANY form of text in it if you want people to take your story seriously. it just kills immersion and gives the player a sense of unprofessionalism...

Posting Freak
09-02-2011, 02:31 AM
Website Find
Fetishman Offline

(09-02-2011, 02:31 AM)kman Wrote: never, ever, EVER use emoticons in ANY form of text in it if you want people to take your story seriously. it just kills immersion and gives the player a sense of unprofessionalism...

will add! starting to add them right now.
09-02-2011, 02:53 AM
Find
MegaScience Offline

Threads: 1

(09-02-2011, 02:31 AM)kman Wrote: never, ever, EVER use emoticons in ANY form of text in it if you want people to take your story seriously. it just kills immersion and gives the player a sense of unprofessionalism...

Works in Dark Room. Won't spoilers. It depends on the type of Custom Story, it might work.
09-02-2011, 03:09 AM
Find
Fetishman Offline

(09-02-2011, 03:09 AM)MegaScience Wrote:

Works in Dark Room. Won't spoilers. It depends on the type of Custom Story, it might work.

Just added some of the things suggested and changed the title to "Do's and Don'ts of a Serious Custom Story". xD
09-02-2011, 03:13 AM
Find
MegaScience Offline

Threads: 1

You can't make a comedic, full Custom Story that is also good?
09-02-2011, 03:43 AM
Find