Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Was Amnesia your first horror game?
Mina Darsh Offline

Threads: 24
RE: Was Amnesia your first horror game?

Reminds me, hope I'm not trailing too much off-topic, but I was playing F.E.A.R. once when there were some visitors, and I was right at one of them parts where you get a lot of ghostly encounters. Now we also had visitors but they mostly visited to see my mom, but apparently she told the 9-year old kid that was with them to go upstairs to see me: "Go see him, go have some fun." So he came in and saw the ghostly encounters happen on my screen before I noticed him looking...

... I've never seen a kid so scared. Sad I felt sorry for him and wish I could've prevented that. Now I think though, good thing Amnesia wasn't out yet. Big Grin
10-13-2011, 12:39 AM
Find
peckinpah1976 Offline

Threads: 2

Not so much first horror game, as first (modern) game. Period.

I'd not played any games since the Amiga 500+ was new and amazing (yes, I'm that old...) and recently having a lot of time to kill I stumbled across the free-to-play games on the BBC's Doctor Who website, though very basic stuff I greatly enjoyed the combination of scares, exploration and problem solving and this inspired me to seek out something a bit more advanced but with similar qualities, that wasn't a shoot-em-up.

Didn't take me long to come across Amnesia; I'm now hooked.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2011, 10:47 AM by peckinpah1976.)
10-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

I honestly can't remember my first "horror game". I've played too many games. The first game I do remember being scared about was Quake 2 when I was about eight. It doesn't quite fall into the "horror gendre" so I can't really count that though.

After playing through "Call of Cthulhu" I stumbled upon Penumbra Black plague which seemed quite awesome since it was a swedish horror game from a small developer. Me being swedish and all I wanted to support it. As for Amnesia it was introduced to me by my cousin this christmas (as a gift). Once started I was like "heey, I know this type of game... It's from the developers of Penumbra!".

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

10-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Find
Conan Offline

Threads: 1

My first true horror game experience was System Shock 2 which IMHO set the standard for the horror genre.
10-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Pretty sure my first horror game was Silent Hill 3 in late 2004. I had no idea I wasn't supposed to be able to kill anything I came across, got murdered by the first monstrous dog demon, and put the game down until I played through the first two to figure out what the heck.
10-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

Resident Evil 2 took my virginity so hard I couldn't get a restful sleep for weeks. I was nine though, and those PS1 graphics were looking superb to me (yes, from Micro Genius to PSOne).

10-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Website Find
CheshireUsagi Offline

I remember when I was younger, I kept hearing so much about Silent Hill and Resident Evil.. but I guess I was too scared to play them, plus the gameplay genre didn't really appeal to me I suppose. I wonder if I'd still find them scary at all after playing amnesia, rofl ' o'

I like to draw Amnesia fanart. :3

http://chesireusagi.deviantart.com/
10-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(10-13-2011, 07:11 PM)CheshireUsagi Wrote: I remember when I was younger, I kept hearing so much about Silent Hill and Resident Evil.. but I guess I was too scared to play them, plus the gameplay genre didn't really appeal to me I suppose. I wonder if I'd still find them scary at all after playing amnesia, rofl ' o'
Resident evil?

No

Silent Hill?

Yes

At least some of the first ones, the newer silent hills are meh

10-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Website Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

The first horror game that I played was Silent Hill (the first one), I remember I had it on a demo disk that came together with the first Metal Gear Solid, I was scared shitless when I entered the school and got stabbed to death by the zombie kids or whatever it was, really freaky.

Anyhow, I've played a lot of horror games before I heard of Amnesia, like SH, RE, Condemned, Doom3, Alone in the Dark, Penumbra etc. So Amnesia wasn't really that scary after having years of scary games in my bag, to be honest Penumbra Overture was more scary at the time than Amnesia was at release.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
10-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(10-11-2011, 05:12 PM)Cryaotic Wrote: I dabbled in a few flash horror games when I was younger for literally a minute or two before I fear quit.
i did a few of those too, but instead i would just sit at the first map motionless, and then about 30 seconds later i'd quit from fear (even though i hadn't even moved yet) and go back to playing bubble spinner Tongue

Posting Freak
10-17-2011, 07:59 AM
Website Find