Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Battlefield 3 sold over 10 million units.
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Battlefield 3 sold over 10 million units.

i'm not gonna lie, ever time i see a game like this sell millions of copies even though it's a carbon copy of the last 5 games that came out in that genre, a little more of me dies inside... especially when you compare the numbers to amnesia Sad

Posting Freak
10-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Website Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(10-29-2011, 11:02 PM)kman Wrote: i'm not gonna lie, ever time i see a game like this sell millions of copies even though it's a carbon copy of the last 5 games that came out in that genre, a little more of me dies inside... especially when you compare the numbers to amnesia Sad
Though your point is a little valid, I want you to realize that Battlefield 3 is a copy of Battlefield 2 as much as Amnesia is a copy of Penumbra.

And no, BF3 is not a carbon copy of every game in the war-shooter genre recently, unless you're talking strictly singleplayer.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
10-30-2011, 05:34 AM
Website Find
flcn27 Offline

Threads: 4

True, Battlefield 3 is more like a combination of Battlefield 2 and Bad Company 2, but it hardly "steals" from other shooters (if you ignore the singleplayer). Modern Warfare 3 is a whole different story however and with MW3 I feel the same way as kman.

10-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

(10-30-2011, 05:34 AM)Lee Wrote:
(10-29-2011, 11:02 PM)kman Wrote: i'm not gonna lie, ever time i see a game like this sell millions of copies even though it's a carbon copy of the last 5 games that came out in that genre, a little more of me dies inside... especially when you compare the numbers to amnesia Sad
Though your point is a little valid, I want you to realize that Battlefield 3 is a copy of Battlefield 2 as much as Amnesia is a copy of Penumbra.

And no, BF3 is not a carbon copy of every game in the war-shooter genre recently, unless you're talking strictly singleplayer.
ok i think i said that wrong... i was trying to say that really it's just bugging the sh*t out of me that it seems every shooter game now a days aren't really trying anything new. i mean with almost every single one the story is almost exactly the same, they're almost always first person, they use the same exact guns and mission types, etc. i just feel in order for the shooter genre to progress developers need to start coming up with more creative gameplay elements instead of just always making a first person modern day war game. like for example, half life and halo are both great games and they have nothing to do with modern day wars. it's just with less and less games like that coming out i've found the genre to be getting quite dull...

Posting Freak
10-30-2011, 08:02 AM
Website Find
rji Offline

Threads: 0

(10-30-2011, 08:02 AM)kman Wrote: ok i think i said that wrong... i was trying to say that really it's just bugging the sh*t out of me that it seems every shooter game now a days aren't really trying anything new.

Financing any new IP is a massive risk because it may not sell and when you are spending anywhere from thirty to one hundred and thirty million dollars on a game, not selling is simply not an option. Basically, studios are making what sells because they want to continue eating.

It's a business model that leads to schlock and mediocrity, much like the film industry.

11-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

There are mainstream games what definetly deserve all of the sales they are getting/will be getting.

also whats not to say that amnesia isnt a carbon copy of penumbra ? Yes the story and the time era are different, but the gameplay is identical. Solve puzzles, monster comes, either hide or haul ass, explore. Repeat x10

That's why I am happy that frictional games next game won't be a horror game, they are trying new things and they are brave enough to take risks. People like their horror games, they are one of the only devs who can do horror properly.
11-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(11-04-2011, 06:47 PM)Arvuti Wrote:
There are mainstream games what definetly deserve all of the sales they are getting/will be getting.

also whats not to say that amnesia isnt a carbon copy of penumbra ? Yes the story and the time era are different, but the gameplay is identical. Solve puzzles, monster comes, either hide or haul ass, explore. Repeat x10

That's why I am happy that frictional games next game won't be a horror game, they are trying new things and they are brave enough to take risks. People like their horror games, they are one of the only devs who can do horror properly.
I have to agree with what you just said. It's sad how people (especially fans, no one particular though) praise their favorite so much that they forget the most obvious flaws and reuses of gameplay in games. I like how you compared Amnesia with Penumbra, because that's exactly how I feel about it too.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
11-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

I'd hold back on judging how great a game Skyrim is until you've actually played it. Not saying it won't be great, just saying we don't really know for certain yet.
11-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

(11-04-2011, 06:47 PM)Arvuti Wrote:

when did i say all main stream games don't deserve sales? all i said is that with how uncreative the shooter genre is right now i really don't see why every new shooter that comes out gets a sh*t ton of sales, when much better games don't get nearly as many. i never said anything about other mainstream games...

Posting Freak
11-05-2011, 02:24 AM
Website Find
rji Offline

Threads: 0

(11-05-2011, 02:24 AM)kman Wrote: also whats not to say that amnesia isnt a carbon copy of penumbra ? Yes the story and the time era are different, but the gameplay is identical. Solve puzzles, monster comes, either hide or haul ass, explore. Repeat x10

This isn't true. In black plague you ran between 1.2 and 1.5 times faster than the infected, meaning you could quite literally run circles around the monsters. Unless you are really good at holding drawers, you can't do that in Amnesia. You could say that Amnesia is an evolution of the game play seen in the Penumbra Series, but it is certainly not a carbon copy.
11-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Find