Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal. - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal. (/thread-13033.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal. - MrTerribleNightmares - 02-02-2012

Title says it all. I am sick of jump scare maps, it is just not scary anymore. If anyone has a good map WITH NO JUMP SCARES please send it my way, i am bored and have nothing to do.

RE: No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal. - Cryaotic - 02-02-2012

Opinion incoming:

Jump scares can work if done sparingly, used properly, and not one after another. Starting off a custom story and then suddenly within the first two minutes you have had at least 12 things jump out at you is not fear-inducing, it's irritable and a cheap tactic to get a natural human reaction to be startled by something happening suddenly.

True fear is the fear of uncertainty. You are unsure of what's going to happen when you go down this dark hall, you hear a noise behind a closed door and the only way to see what is behind it is you opening that door to see what lies in wait - fear is something that can cause a person's imagination to run wild with the idea of something crawling around their own home and intruding in their safety zone.

Fear is not a flying malformed rag doll, loud noises as impossible things suddenly pop out of thin air. Fear is not loading into a custom story and being faced with a grunt charging you only to poof into dust. Fear is not hiding in a closet waiting for grunt to despawn, leaving the closet, and then being forced to hide again as a brute spawned as you went through a doorway. These are not fear, these are shit gimmick tactics that will only affect the mindset of an immature youth, someone entirely virgin to the HPL2 engine, or people who pretend to be scared while recording a video in order to garnish views via screaming loudly when something unsettling happens (this is not targeting anyone, it's more of a general observation).

If you want to put a jump scare into a game, I see nothing wrong with it. If you want to put seventeen, don't expect a lot of praise in the originality and/or well-received department. Open up, be thoughtful of new ideas and branch out from the things that made the childhood you get scared around the campfire. It's not going to get anything accomplished if you do the same thing again and again, repetitive tendencies grow old fast, diversity is required to truly thrive in most things, not just the horror element.

kbye

RE: No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal. - vcplz - 02-02-2012

(02-02-2012, 01:57 AM)Cryaotic Wrote: Opinion incoming:

Jump scares can work if done sparingly, used properly, and not one after another. Starting off a custom story and then suddenly within the first two minutes you have had at least 12 things jump out at you is not fear-inducing, it's irritable and a cheap tactic to get a natural human reaction to be startled by something happening suddenly.

True fear is the fear of uncertainty. You are unsure of what's going to happen when you go down this dark hall, you hear a noise behind a closed door and the only way to see what is behind it is you opening that door to see what lies in wait - fear is something that can cause a person's imagination to run wild with the idea of something crawling around their own home and intruding in their safety zone.

Fear is not a flying malformed rag doll, loud noises as impossible things suddenly pop out of thin air. Fear is not loading into a custom story and being faced with a grunt charging you only to poof into dust. Fear is not hiding in a closet waiting for grunt to despawn, leaving the closet, and then being forced to hide again as a brute spawned as you went through a doorway. These are not fear, these are shit gimmick tactics that will only affect the mindset of an immature youth, someone entirely virgin to the HPL2 engine, or people who pretend to be scared while recording a video in order to garnish views via screaming loudly when something unsettling happens (this is not targeting anyone, it's more of a general observation).

If you want to put a jump scare into a game, I see nothing wrong with it. If you want to put seventeen, don't expect a lot of praise in the originality and/or well-received department. Open up, be thoughtful of new ideas and branch out from the things that made the childhood you get scared around the campfire. It's not going to get anything accomplished if you do the same thing again and again, repetitive tendencies grow old fast, diversity is required to truly thrive in most things, not just the horror element.

kbye
you make me a happy camper

RE: No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal. - Sel - 02-02-2012

There's nothing wrong with jump scares. The issue is that the amount of custom stories that aren't awful can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

RE: No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal. - LHudson - 02-02-2012

kbye
Just to add into the second paragraph

There are three kinds of horror. First one is when you open a door, a monster pops out and goes "abloogy woogy woo". The second is when there isn't a monster in the cupboard but standing behind you and you know that he is going to go "abloogy woogy woo" at some point but he doesn't and you are getting more and more tense but you don't want to turn around because you don't want him to put his cock in your eye. And then there is the horror when the monster goes "abloogy woogy woo" while standing on the far side of a brightly lit room. The second option is best because the game isn't the one doing the scaring but your mind is imagining the fear. Fear of fear is worse than fear itself and the best way to do this is to pace it well, something Amnesia does nicely even though David and Bruce are summoned every time you solve a puzzle.

Love from
LHudson

RE: No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal. - MrTerribleNightmares - 02-02-2012

kbye
That's basically what i mean lol i have played at least 3 maps so far which that is what it seems like. Pop up after pop up, little amount of jumpscares are good, but i like hiding from the monsters in the game and solving puzzle (like the main story) however minor jumpscares dont bother me just repeated one after another and another it just gets old.

(02-02-2012, 02:35 AM)LHudson Wrote:

kbye
Just to add into the second paragraph

There are three kinds of horror. First one is when you open a door, a monster pops out and goes "abloogy woogy woo". The second is when there isn't a monster in the cupboard but standing behind you and you know that he is going to go "abloogy woogy woo" at some point but he doesn't and you are getting more and more tense but you don't want to turn around because you don't want him to put his cock in your eye. And then there is the horror when the monster goes "abloogy woogy woo" while standing on the far side of a brightly lit room. The second option is best because the game isn't the one doing the scaring but your mind is imagining the fear. Fear of fear is worse than fear itself and the best way to do this is to pace it well, something Amnesia does nicely even though David and Bruce are summoned every time you solve a puzzle.

Love from
LHudson
I just love the intense feeling of knowing that a monster is chasing me and i have to hide as fast as possible that scares me the most not the "walk down a long corridor *Naked body Pops up and screams* crys for abit." like they get me good once but i have gotten to the point i know when i jumpscare is coming and its kinda of annoying lol Its either people need to have a better placement of them and just not use so much, however if the story is good it should just make up for the jumpscares.

RE: No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal. - Miss Rigi - 02-02-2012

(02-02-2012, 02:35 AM)LHudson Wrote: Just to add into the second paragraph

Love from
LHudson
Yahtzee's guide to horror.

RE: No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal. - LHudson - 02-02-2012

(02-02-2012, 03:40 AM)Miss Rigi Wrote:

Love from
LHudson
The only master guide to horror :p

RE: No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal. - Kman - 02-02-2012

(02-02-2012, 04:18 AM)LHudson Wrote:
(02-02-2012, 03:40 AM)Miss Rigi Wrote:

Love from
LHudson
The only master guide to horror :p
"And then there is the horror when the monster goes "abloogy woogy woo" while standing on the far side of a brightly lit room."...

Before walking slowly over to you, plucking a violin, and then slapping you across the face with a T-bow steak.

Can't stop half way through man! Tongue

RE: No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal. - SunAndMoonProductions - 02-03-2012

I agree with everything Cryaotic said and with this topic's existence. Jump-scares not only get tiresome, they make the story look really cheap and unprofessional. And they are a poor excuse for real fear. When i play Amnesia I am looking for a good story and scares that make sense in the story and the environment. I even dislike seeing randomly placed monsters in custom stories when they seemingly have no point to being there. (but then normally when people come up with ideas as to the monsters existence, it turns kinda of dumb) If a monster should be there, there should at least be a bit more of a reason other than just to scare you, or at least use them correctly and with the right atmosphere.

I mean, custom stories take time to make. You shouldn't throw away all of your hard work by not caring about the quality of the scares.