Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
The search button - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: The search button (/thread-14773.html)

The search button - HollowRiku13 - 04-14-2012

I didn't know where to post this, so I'll post it here, if it's misplaced, please, move it to the correct Sub-Forum.

I don't want to earn the hatred of everyone, I just want to say something, why no one uses the "Search" button? Seriously, I'm already a little tired of entering the "Development Support" and find 8 or 9 threads with exactly the same question. Many people have already asked the same question, and solved it, the moderators "Use the Search button" nobody seems to pay attention, there are over 100 pages, in which most of the questions are the same . Even Jens wrote this in the forum rules:

" … searches before posting a new thread. Many questions have already been answered in the forum. Use the search button at the top right of our page to find out if your question or topic has already been covered. This way you won’t have to wait for someone to answer. "

Please use this button. I want to clarify one last thing, I didn't made this topic to insult or start a war, please, avoid commenting. Thanks for reading.

RE: The search button - Cranky Old Man - 04-14-2012

(04-14-2012, 05:05 AM)HollowRiku13 Wrote: I didn't know where to post this, so I'll post it here, if it's misplaced, please, move it to the correct Sub-Forum.

I don't want to earn the hatred of everyone, I just want to say something, why no one uses the "Search" button? Seriously, I'm already a little tired of entering the "Development Support" and find 8 or 9 threads with exactly the same question. Many people have already asked the same question, and solved it, the moderators "Use the Search button" nobody seems to pay attention, there are over 100 pages, in which most of the questions are the same . Even Jens wrote this in the forum rules:

" … searches before posting a new thread. Many questions have already been answered in the forum. Use the search button at the top right of our page to find out if your question or topic has already been covered. This way you won’t have to wait for someone to answer. "

Please use this button. I want to clarify one last thing, I didn't made this topic to insult or start a war, please, avoid commenting. Thanks for reading.
Although I agree, here's two explanations:
First of all, people think that their specific problem is unique and has never happened before.
Second of all, searching for the right words to describe your problem, is sometimes harder than it looks.

RE: The search button - HollowRiku13 - 04-14-2012

I asked a question a while ago about a problem to teleport the player, first I searched for "teleport" and found several threads, but none of them solved my problem, so I created the thread, but unfortunately that didn't help. So, everything is easy to find if you search a keyword, for example:
you have the same problem as me. You can not teleport the player. Don't search something like "teleport the player from A to B" or "I can't teleport the player" Just search "teleport" and you will find something.

The only type of thread that don't bother me are the "Unexpected end of file / token / etc." because it's hard to see the error in the scripts, especially if these are long scripts, and all the scripts are different.

RE: The search button - JenniferOrange - 04-14-2012

I always use the search button.
Everyone's just mad 'cause you have to wait like 20 seconds to search again.

RE: The search button - Your Computer - 04-14-2012

For those who don't know: You can use Google to search the forums, just make sure site:frictionalgames.com is in the query.

RE: The search button - HollowRiku13 - 04-14-2012

(04-14-2012, 09:53 PM)JenniferOrange Wrote: I always use the search button.
Everyone's just mad 'cause you have to wait like 20 seconds to search again.
I prefer to wait 20 seconds instead of waiting about 2 hours until someone answers my question.

(04-14-2012, 09:56 PM)Your Computer Wrote: For those who don't know: You can use Google to search the forums, just make sure site:frictionalgames.com is in the query.
This is also quite useful if you can't find any results using the Search button.

RE: The search button - Modular100 - 04-17-2012

One problem is that the search disregards a lot of words, and if you're a newbie scripter without knowledge of all the proper terms, the search can pretty much slash your whole query simply because you're using too common words.

RE: The search button - Cranky Old Man - 04-17-2012

(04-17-2012, 07:50 PM)Modular100 Wrote: One problem is that the search disregards a lot of words, and if you're a newbie scripter without knowledge of all the proper terms, the search can pretty much slash your whole query simply because you're using too common words.

In that case, people should still be aware that Google exists, and works just as good.