Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
[SPOILER] Penumbra - finally finished :) - thoughts on the game series... - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Penumbra: Overture, Black Plague & Requiem (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: [SPOILER] Penumbra - finally finished :) - thoughts on the game series... (/thread-15181.html)

Penumbra - finally finished :) - thoughts on the game series... - darkely - 04-30-2012

**Warning there are spoilers if you do not want to ruin the game for yourself then don't read this**

I finished Penumbra: Requiem it was fun but very confusing - it does not add much closure to the ending of the series at least I don't think it does. I know everyone is hyped about the new game (rumored to be a sequel or something to Amnesia) however I really would like to see a new game for Penumbra. I know people will say some thing like Penumbra is over it has its time despite that I think even a release from Frictional games explaining what happens after the events in Black Plague would be great.

RE: Penumbra - finally finished :) - thoughts on the game series... - Cranky Old Man - 04-30-2012

The problem is that I don't think that there's anything more to tell after Black Plague.
There are two things that can happen:
- The Tuurngait can get out and start invading civilization, but that's sort of like an invisible zombie scenario that humanity can't win, and it's more like an X-com game scenario.
- Another expedition can arrive, either to blow up the base or to explore, and then we'd just have Penumbra all over again - there wouldn't be anything new.

Of course, there is a third option that's continues the fate of the first protagonist as he tries to escape, or defeat the hivemind single-handedly. I don't think that it would add anything new, though.

However, anything is possible. While they care a lot about atmosphere, Frictional Games seem to tell stories with the gameplay in mind, so as long as there are new mechanics for an arctic environment, I don't think that FG would have trouble coming up with a story for them.

RE: Penumbra - finally finished :) - thoughts on the game series... - darkely - 04-30-2012

Ya if they did something where he escaped or something of that nature that would be great Smile. I am not saying it has to be as long as Black Plague though...

RE: Penumbra - finally finished :) - thoughts on the game series... - Desperate4God - 04-30-2012

I'm pretty sure that it is implied that Philip died or became infected. At the end of Black Plague, he is knocked unconscious or killed, and Requiem supposedly takes place in his mind. At the end of Requiem, he is given the choice to kill himself (along with Red), or to leave on the ship. The ship, however, is the not the one he arrived in, but rather the one from his delusion or dream when Clarence first took over.

RE: Penumbra - finally finished :) - thoughts on the game series... - darkely - 04-30-2012

I know I played both endings... I wonder if the ship implied him going to heaven or something like that...

RE: Penumbra - finally finished :) - thoughts on the game series... - Zathorius - 05-01-2012

I agree that after Black Plague there isn't much to tell that would fit the Penumbra games. I really liked the ending of Black Plague.

I'd say Requiem does add a kind of closure, that is, if you ''choose'' a canon ending. Penumbra is about Phillip, trying to find out what happened to his father, as well as about the shelter and Tuurngait. It does give closure about Phillips fate.

RE: Penumbra - finally finished :) - thoughts on the game series... - RawkBandMan - 05-04-2012

I believe the ending of Black Plague was sort of a cliffhanger, and it could've had more to it to explain it a tiny bit more.

RE: Penumbra - finally finished :) - thoughts on the game series... - spukrian - 05-04-2012

I would enjoy a game featuring the Archaic. The organisation has a lot of potential for more stories concerning them.

But Phillip's story is done.

RE: Penumbra - finally finished :) - thoughts on the game series... - darkely - 05-04-2012

(05-04-2012, 01:18 AM)XxRoCkBaNdMaNxX Wrote: I believe the ending of Black Plague was sort of a cliffhanger, and it could've had more to it to explain it a tiny bit more.
Same.
(05-04-2012, 12:21 PM)spukrian Wrote: I would enjoy a game featuring the Archaic. The organisation has a lot of potential for more stories concerning them.

But Phillip's story is done.
Phillip was the best Smile