Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Note Text Won't Show Up - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods - Development (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-38.html)
+---- Forum: Development Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-39.html)
+---- Thread: Note Text Won't Show Up (/thread-15210.html)

Pages: 1 2

Note Text Won't Show Up - bkrstirregular - 05-01-2012

Hey Everyone

SO I made the mistake of thinking I was capable of modding this game for one of my finals...Little did I know that while I'm really great at making maps, I can't get them to work...

I've tried desperately for the last few days to try and get this note to show up in my game but the text simply does not. Could someone please help me out?

This is what I have in my .lang file at the moment

<LANGUAGE>
<RESOURCES>
</RESOURCES>
<CATEGORY Name= "CustomStoryDescription">
<Entry Name= "Description"> "An air of stern, deep, and irredeemable gloom hung over and pervaded all."</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
<CATEGORY Name= “Messages”>
<Entry Name=“msgname”> This Door Is Locked</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
<CATEGORY Name= "Journal">
<Entry Name="Note_firstnote_1_Text"> "It is with sincerest regrets that I pen this letter, knowing
that you will eventually discover it. If everything has gone according to plan,
then you will have no recollection of what has transpired. [br]There is little time and I have little strength left before
this potion overwhelms me, to relay the depths of the travesties that have
occurred in this home. It is for the best, I assure you. [br]Calm yourself – the pain in your lungs is surely still
intense, but it will pass in time…That bitter taste on your tongue is the
Damascus rose oil that I used to lace this memory cleanser. [br]I implore you – no, I beg you – find a way out of this
accursed place. Do not seek out the answers to what has been withheld from you.
Most importantly, do not be swayed by whatever atrocious facets of Roderick that
still linger here…He is not your friend anymore. [br]Move quickly, and keep your journal close… [br]If you believe it is safe, I have hidden the key behind her. [br]Your Former Self, [br]E."

</Entry>
<Entry Name="Note_firstnote_1_Name"> "A Hastily Written Note"</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
</LANGUAGE>

Also, my story description doesn't show up on the main menu? Ughh..if someone could help, I would be extremely grateful.

- Kat

RE: Note Text Won't Show Up - TeamSD - 05-01-2012

Change this

to
<CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">

About the note. What is your notes "Notetext"? Click your note in editor and there, click "Entity". There is section called "NoteText". That is the link to your lang file.

EDIT: to simplify, there should read "firstnote_1" without the "".

RE: Note Text Won't Show Up - Apjjm - 05-01-2012

You seem to have unsupported characters, E.g.

Code:
“ instead of " in the parameters part
… instead of ...
One of the hyphens also flagged up as an error.

Removing these lets me open your document in my language editor tool without errors, and so should contain characters the game expects too:
Code:
<LANGUAGE>
<RESOURCES></RESOURCES>
<Entry Name= "Description"> "An air of stern, deep, and irredeemable gloom hung over and pervaded all."</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
<CATEGORY Name= "Messages">
<Entry Name="msgname"> This Door Is Locked</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
<Entry Name="Note_firstnote_1_Text"> "It is with sincerest regrets that I pen this letter, knowing
then you will have no recollection of what has transpired. [br]There is little time and I have little strength left before
occurred in this home. It is for the best, I assure you. [br]Calm yourself - the pain in your lungs is surely still
intense, but it will pass in time... That bitter taste on your tongue is the
Damascus rose oil that I used to lace this memory cleanser. [br]I implore you - no, I beg you - find a way out of this
Most importantly, do not be swayed by whatever atrocious facets of Roderick that
still linger here... He is not your friend anymore. [br]Move quickly, and keep your journal close... [br]If you believe it is safe, I have hidden the key behind her. [br]Your Former Self, [br]E."

</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
</LANGUAGE>

RE: Note Text Won't Show Up - bkrstirregular - 05-01-2012

(05-01-2012, 08:47 PM)TeamSD Wrote: Change this

to
<CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">

About the note. What is your notes "Notetext"? Click your note in editor and there, click "Entity". There is section called "NoteText". That is the link to your lang file.

EDIT: to simplify, there should read "firstnote_1" without the "".
It says firstnote_1

(05-01-2012, 08:52 PM)Apjjm Wrote: You seem to have unsupported characters, E.g.

Code:
“ instead of " in the parameters part
… instead of ...
One of the hyphens also flagged up as an error.

Removing these lets me open your document in my language editor tool without errors, and so should contain characters the game expects too:
Code:
<LANGUAGE>
<RESOURCES></RESOURCES>
</CATEGORY>
<CATEGORY Name= "Messages">
<Entry Name="msgname"> This Door Is Locked</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
occurred in this home. It is for the best, I assure you. [br]Calm yourself - the pain in your lungs is surely still
Damascus rose oil that I used to lace this memory cleanser. [br]I implore you - no, I beg you - find a way out of this
still linger here... He is not your friend anymore. [br]Move quickly, and keep your journal close... [br]If you believe it is safe, I have hidden the key behind her. [br]Your Former Self, [br]E."

</Entry>
</CATEGORY>
</LANGUAGE>
I attempted to copy/paste your reworked code - but the text is still note showing up Sad

RE: Note Text Won't Show Up - Cranky Old Man - 05-02-2012

(05-01-2012, 09:23 PM)bkrstirregular Wrote: I attempted to copy/paste your reworked code - but the text is still note showing up Sad
The name of your note is "firstnote_1", right?

...and second of all, won't somebody correct the doublequotes of this wiki page?
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tutorials/script/adding_messages_to_locked_doors
I had the same problem, and it's hard to spot without a colorscheme editor.

RE: Note Text Won't Show Up - bkrstirregular - 05-02-2012

(05-02-2012, 12:02 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(05-01-2012, 09:23 PM)bkrstirregular Wrote: I attempted to copy/paste your reworked code - but the text is still note showing up Sad

...and second of all, won't somebody correct the doublequotes of this wiki page?
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tutorials/script/adding_messages_to_locked_doors
yeah the entity text says firstnote_1 and so is the entity name

(05-02-2012, 12:04 AM)bkrstirregular Wrote:
(05-02-2012, 12:02 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:

yeah the entity text says firstnote_1 and so is the entity name

I don't know why it would make a difference, but try switching the order of the name and text entries:

Code:

<Entry Name="Note_firstnote_1_Text">
             "It is with sincerest regrets that I pen this letter, knowing
        </Entry>

Also, could you temporarily change the long text to something short like "I'm a little teapot." to make sure that it's not the size of the text, or any invisible character in the text?

Didn't work Sad

(05-02-2012, 12:45 AM)bkrstirregular Wrote: Didn't work Sad
This is really weird. Maybe you could rename the note and entries to "firstnote1" instead of "firstnote_1". If that doesn't help, I'm going to have to give up. Are you sure that the extra_english.lang is in your custom story folder, next to the maps\ folder?

Nothing seems to be working Sad And my story description doesn't seem to show up either...

Thanks for trying to help though, I really appreciate it.