Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Tenebris Lake Full Conversion - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-35.html)
+---- Forum: Showcase (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-36.html)
+---- Thread: Tenebris Lake Full Conversion (/thread-15476.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: Tenebris Lake Full Conversion - Kman - 05-25-2012

(05-25-2012, 12:10 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: [Image: my-brain-is-full-of-fuck.jpg]

What is wrong with you people? If you can't constructively criticize something, then keep it to yourself
I honestly feel like he did, everyone seemed to be shoving his opinion down though so I decided to respond.

I actually would write my own review with my thoughts and such, but whenever I take the time to do something like that it ends up eating 30-50 minutes of my day, and Dark already said most of the things I would have brought up.

RE: Tenebris Lake Full Conversion - bagobonez - 05-25-2012

Just to clarify, you guys don't want us using any of the entities or anything yet?

RE: Tenebris Lake Full Conversion - Tordo - 05-25-2012

After playing it, here's my thoughts on the custom story:

Spoiler below!
Firstly, the game at times has some parts that get confusing because of a lack of notes/mementos that give a clear sense of direction for the player. The part where this was most apparent was in the part where you have to apparently follow the sounds amidst a dark screen. At first, I had no idea what to do and just assumed the game was bugged. Took me a while to actually realize what I had to do. At the very least, a memento making the note that "I should follow the sounds" could have gone a long way to helping me. It's understandable that you don't want to probably hold the hands of a player too much, but sometimes, more information on what to do next is better than no information at all, as it can lead to players getting immensely frustrated. Give more hints next time for puzzles so the player can know what to do rather than get enraged at the story, which ruins immersion.

Secondly, story transitions from real life -> dreams could have gone better. For example, though I knew the character in question was in some kind of hallucination/dream sequence in some of the transitions (for example, after he accidentally kills the prisoner), some kind of hint from the story via notes ("character has been having some weird dreams of late, or took drugs because he felt guilty for what he had done [with these drugs' side effects causing hallucinations/dreams]) or the character's own inner musings via subtitles ("...What's going on? What's happening? What is this place?") could have made it feel more natural. As is, the transition felt more abrupt.

The story in general could have been executed a bit better but I know the effort was there. Providing more in-depth explanations for a player's behavior would have been nice. I know the character had amnesia and wanted to try and recover his memories but just waltzing into a random castle out-of-the-blue sounded strange. A fleshed-out explanation could have been that upon drinking the amnesia potion, he (or another mysterious figure) could have left some hint talking about how the "castle would answer all of his questions." It would make the story feel more realistic/natural, but this is a nit-picky point.

With that being said, I can see there was effort put into this custom story that wasn't just a story hinged on hundreds of jump scares. I liked how you initially see one of the custom monsters and later on, in the morgue section (if I remember correctly), you see the same monster model sprawled on the floor, making you scared that it might just rise up and start chasing you, which happened later but not immediately. The entire section for me was pretty tense.

The custom story overall was a good try but I just feel that lots of the custom story was heavily hinging on the new custom monsters which admittedly, were pretty jarring when you meet them the first time. I just feel that with a more hashed-out story to explain some parts better along with the addition of more helpful notes/mementos could have gone a long way to making the story better.

RE: Tenebris Lake Full Conversion - SUMMER^ - 05-25-2012

(05-25-2012, 01:31 AM)Tordo Wrote: After playing it, here's my thoughts on the custom story:

Spoiler below!
Firstly, the game at times has some parts that get confusing because of a lack of notes/mementos that give a clear sense of direction for the player. The part where this was most apparent was in the part where you have to apparently follow the sounds amidst a dark screen. At first, I had no idea what to do and just assumed the game was bugged. Took me a while to actually realize what I had to do. At the very least, a memento making the note that "I should follow the sounds" could have gone a long way to helping me. It's understandable that you don't want to probably hold the hands of a player too much, but sometimes, more information on what to do next is better than no information at all, as it can lead to players getting immensely frustrated. Give more hints next time for puzzles so the player can know what to do rather than get enraged at the story, which ruins immersion.

Secondly, story transitions from real life -> dreams could have gone better. For example, though I knew the character in question was in some kind of hallucination/dream sequence in some of the transitions (for example, after he accidentally kills the prisoner), some kind of hint from the story via notes ("character has been having some weird dreams of late, or took drugs because he felt guilty for what he had done [with these drugs' side effects causing hallucinations/dreams]) or the character's own inner musings via subtitles ("...What's going on? What's happening? What is this place?") could have made it feel more natural. As is, the transition felt more abrupt.

The story in general could have been executed a bit better but I know the effort was there. Providing more in-depth explanations for a player's behavior would have been nice. I know the character had amnesia and wanted to try and recover his memories but just waltzing into a random castle out-of-the-blue sounded strange. A fleshed-out explanation could have been that upon drinking the amnesia potion, he (or another mysterious figure) could have left some hint talking about how the "castle would answer all of his questions." It would make the story feel more realistic/natural, but this is a nit-picky point.

With that being said, I can see there was effort put into this custom story that wasn't just a story hinged on hundreds of jump scares. I liked how you initially see one of the custom monsters and later on, in the morgue section (if I remember correctly), you see the same monster model sprawled on the floor, making you scared that it might just rise up and start chasing you, which happened later but not immediately. The entire section for me was pretty tense.

The custom story overall was a good try but I just feel that lots of the custom story was heavily hinging on the new custom monsters which admittedly, were pretty jarring when you meet them the first time. I just feel that with a more hashed-out story to explain some parts better along with the addition of more helpful notes/mementos could have gone a long way to making the story better.

Hey, thanks for your reply, this kind of constructive criticism is really appreciated. As for your first point about in-game direction and mementos, it's already being fixed, and I have sent several suggestions to the creators of what to say at certain spots where people are commonly getting stuck.

The second point about why he would go into the castle, is not quite properly explained due to a bug that left out an updated .lang file. However, if you look in the cabin at the start and examine the photo, the player notices that he is in it, and completely believes that the other people in the picture are his family, as he can kind of vaguely recollect things (such as the flashbacks you see throughout the game).

Since his family's home is empty and seems like it was damaged, he decides to go out looking for them, and he follows the path that feels most natural to him (which happens to be the only path there is, heh)

But yeah, in game direction/hints is an issue we pretty much already have solved. I've written mementos for about six areas where people seem to be stuck scratching their heads, and I expect that they (along with the updated .lang file that fixes all the grammar and fleshes out the story a bit) will be incorporated into the next patch released for this CS.

Again, thanks for your comment. It's this kind of constructive criticism that is actually of use, although to be fair the creators have been hearing the same complaints over and over.

-Adam,
Beta Tester/Proofreader/Assistant Writer for Tenebris Lake.

RE: Tenebris Lake Full Conversion - SUMMER^ - 05-25-2012

(05-25-2012, 12:56 AM)bagobonez Wrote: Just to clarify, you guys don't want us using any of the entities or anything yet?
I believe they want to wait either until the next major patch or 1 month before allowing the use of the game files in other mods, whichever comes first. I could be COMPLETELY wrong on this, though, so I'd recommend PMing one of the creators if you believe your request deserves attention.

RE: Tenebris Lake Full Conversion - devin413 - 05-25-2012

thx tordo i will try to give some more clearness in this with more hints and that stuff.

@ hunter of shadows i can take constructively criticize look at tordo he say what was not so good.

but darkadders make an [Bad category] and a good and in the bad category he write mapping can be even better so i think that he say that the mapping was bad or not ?

and that last sentence at the Bad category was i could go on for hours ranting about this, but im sure you see my point..

and in the good think just 3 thinks ? thats what i dont get how some can write so bad stuff and say that he still can go on for hours
and than just can say 3 good thinks.

that sounds for me so that he says it was just a bad mod and that he just hate it sry when i miss understand it im from german and maybe i didn't understand everthink.

and i just tired to answer his criticize. or im not supposed to do that ?

RE: Tenebris Lake Full Conversion - Hunter of Shadows - 05-25-2012

(05-25-2012, 10:37 AM)devin413 Wrote: thx tordo i will try to give some more clearness in this with more hints and that stuff.

@ hunter of shadows i can take constructively criticize look at tordo he say what was not so good.

but darkadders make an [Bad category] and a good and in the bad category he write mapping can be even better so i think that he say that the mapping was bad or not ?

and that last sentence at the Bad category was i could go on for hours ranting about this, but im sure you see my point..

and in the good think just 3 thinks ? thats what i dont get how some can write so bad stuff and say that he still can go on for hours
and than just can say 3 good thinks.

that sounds for me so that he says it was just a bad mod and that he just hate it sry when i miss understand it im from german and maybe i didn't understand everthink.

and i just tired to answer his criticize. or im not supposed to do that ?
I don't think you understand what constructive and positive criticism is

Quote: Constructive criticism aims to show that the intent or purpose of something is better served by an alternative approach. In this case, making the criticism is not necessarily deemed wrong, and its purpose is respected; rather, it is claimed that the same goal could be better achieved via a different route. Constructive criticisms are often suggestions for improvement - how things could be done better or more acceptably. They draw attention to how an identified problem could be solved, or how it could be solved better.
Quote: A positive criticism draws attention to a good or positive aspect of something which is being ignored, disregarded or overlooked. People may be able to see only the negative side of something, so that it becomes necessary to highlight the positive side. A positive criticism may also be a type of self-justification or self-defence.
Your criticism was almost entirely negative

RE: Tenebris Lake Full Conversion - RawkBandMan - 05-26-2012

(05-23-2012, 06:28 AM)Measuring Wrote:
(05-23-2012, 03:47 AM)XxRoCkBaNdMaNxX Wrote: I finally got around to playing this, but I got a black box upon clicking Start New Game

Ive tried reinstalling the mod, to no avail.

Welp :[

Code:
Amnesia.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module ntdll.dll at 001B:7C910BF3

Stack Trace

001B:7C9108F3 ntdll.dll
001B:7C34218A MSVCR71.dll, free()+0057 byte(s)
001B:005C2C24 Amnesia.exe
A reinstall of amnesia should fix the problem.
Reinstalled the FC and Amnesia, still getting the Black Box D:

Damn you Amnesia, why must you do this to me ;_;

RE: Tenebris Lake Full Conversion - evilman97 - 05-26-2012

When i entered in the archive it said: Couldn't find world map... could you fix it please??

RE: Tenebris Lake Full Conversion - JenniferOrange - 05-27-2012

Beautiful map design. Js.