Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Routine - Survival Horror - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Routine - Survival Horror (/thread-18079.html)

Pages: 1 2

Routine - Survival Horror - Arvuti - 08-31-2012

I was browsing games through steam greenlight and I came upon this pretty interesting survival horror game.
[Image: 637x358.resizedimage]

It looks like it has quite a nice and original setting and the visuals for it are pretty impressive. According to the stream greenlight page the game will be non linear, have full body awareness (which is something that other survival horror games should do *cough* looking at you frictional games *cough*) and perma death, so all deaths are final. It's a pretty interesting system on it's own and it will actually add a lot more suspense into the game, instead of amnesia where after you die your hand is held and the monster is despawned.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92985806&searchtext=

Here is the steam greenlight page, you can find more about it + screenshots there. You can also help the game get on steam.

RE: Routine - Survival Horror - failedALIAS - 09-01-2012

Seems that the game is putting a tad bit too much faith on the gaming community. Perma death? That'll fuck plenty of people, just saying.

RE: Routine - Survival Horror - Juby - 09-01-2012

Curious: "There are no health packs or multiple lives"

No health packs in a perma-death system, that is quite cruel and it will enrage countless players.

(09-01-2012, 02:24 AM)Juby Wrote: Curious: "There are no health packs or multiple lives"

No health packs in a perma-death system, that is quite cruel and it will enrage countless players.
That's what I'm saying!

RE: Routine - Survival Horror - Sexbad - 09-01-2012

(09-01-2012, 02:24 AM)Juby Wrote: Curious: "There are no health packs or multiple lives"

For it to not be tedious it will need to employ location-based damage and resource management. It will need to have monsters that whittle and grind you down, rather than just kill you. If you injure your leg, you move slowly or limp; find painkillers to alleviate certain injuries temporarily, but at the cost of stamina... That sort of thing. I think this would also make exploration very worthwhile and thus progression and risk taking would be much more enticing.

Hopefully the developers do something like that.

RE: Routine - Survival Horror - Statyk - 09-01-2012

Sexbad. As much as I would love to read your response to threads.. I can't help the awkward feeling I get seeing two ninja turtles passionately swapping spit in my peripherals... Oh god.

As for my input, thanks for sharing Arvuti. If it's one thing I love, it's a space/sci-fi based horror game =] And honestly, no health kits, no respawns or checkpoints, I like the idea of a "real-life situation". It will prevent people from running aimlessly or you know... THROWING BOXES AT A GRUNT. *ahem*.

I look forward to this indie =]

(09-01-2012, 06:28 AM)Statyk Wrote: Sexbad. As much as I would love to read your response to threads.. I can't help the awkward feeling I get seeing two ninja turtles passionately swapping spit in my peripherals... Oh god.

As for my input, thanks for sharing Arvuti. If it's one thing I love, it's a space/sci-fi based horror game =] And honestly, no health kits, no respawns or checkpoints, I like the idea of a "real-life situation". It will prevent people from running aimlessly or you know... THROWING BOXES AT A GRUNT. *ahem*.

I look forward to this indie =]
Is it wrong that I hope the threat is more like something along the lines of Alien? Cause this game shows so much potential for that category of horror.

RE: Routine - Survival Horror - Your Computer - 09-01-2012

Perma-death implies short game to me.

RE: Routine - Survival Horror - the dark side - 09-01-2012

sounds a good idea to me, a game that is actually, you know, Challenging. too many games now hold the players hand from start to finish making the whole game feel like, you know, a massive great big tutorial level... and thus, Boring..

that is, so long as "no health packs" means, "no healing at all", and not the usual mainstream industry standard "hide behind a wall and wait for the strawberry jam on the screen to go away" regeneration rubbish! that would sadly make the game yet another hand holder if it does mean Regen.

i hope this game gets the green light from steam, be nice to play a propely hard game again.

plus its horror, horror is meant to be scary, and when you are running around killing monsters, inbetween hiding behind walls to make the jam go away (too many modern games to mention),you are not scared, when you know even one encounter with the enemy is probably going to end the game prematurely, you are going to be properly scared of an encounter, wich means the games atmospheric noises and effects are serioulsy going to get under your skin and freak you out futher..

a modern day take on some of the classic "perma death" 2d Japanese Horrors? sounds awesome to me! Survival Horror with the emphasis on survival!, not the usual modern day "gears of war with zombies in it" (cough...the past 3 resident evils...cough), sounds like just the shot in the arm the genre needs, before it too just becomes another casuality of "casualitus"

RE: Routine - Survival Horror - Damascus Rose - 09-01-2012

(09-01-2012, 08:01 PM)the dark side Wrote: i hope this game gets the green light from steam, be nice to play a propely hard game again.
Whether it gets green light or not you will still be able to buy it, of course they wouldn't just make a game and not release it because it wasn't greenlighted.