Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Riddles, brain puzzles and mathematical problems - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Riddles, brain puzzles and mathematical problems (/thread-19232.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Riddles, brain puzzles and mathematical problems - eliasfrost - 12-09-2012

Just switch them all, problem solved. I might not have determined which switch turned the light on. But at least I can now see something.

Or better yet, pry them open and see which are wired.

Also, you never said that I'm not allowed to turn the switches after opening the door. So I open the door, try all the switches and BAM, problem solved.

I'm a genius

RE: Riddles, brain puzzles and mathematical problems - Froge - 12-09-2012

Was my consideration of cases in any way on the right track? I'm thinking if any logical deductions can be made by flipping additional switches after the door is opened. Or maybe we have to make assumptions and then use conditional thinking afterwards.

RE: Riddles, brain puzzles and mathematical problems - BAndrew - 12-09-2012

OK I think I figured it out!

Turn 2 switches on. Wait enough time just in case the light is on so the light bulb can increase temperature. Just when you are about to go to the room turn one switch off.

Case 1: If the light is open then the correct switch is the one you left open
Case 2: If there is no light, but the light bulb is "warm" then the correct switch is the one you turned off just before you went to the room
Case 3: If there is no light, but the light bulb is "cold" or "not hot" then the correct switch is the one you didn't touch.

That of course applies if that trick with the temperature can be done.

RE: Riddles, brain puzzles and mathematical problems - Bridge - 12-09-2012

It certainly can. Nice work BAndrew.

Anyway, all you guys trying to open the door and mess with the switches didn't read the instructions clearly enough. I specifically said: Opening the door counts as entering, and you may only enter the room once. Keeping it open is not a legal move because it is a constant event, whereas the room may only be entered once. But very nice try Chronofox, that was exactly what I did, although I knew it could not be right because of the 1/3 chance of error.

You're up BAndrew.

OK I am designing a hard,but at the same time interesting and story based riddle full of mysteries and revelations. I am going to "split" it into parts for practical reasons. I will need some time, but I believe it will worth it.

RE: Riddles, brain puzzles and mathematical problems - Nice - 12-09-2012

BAndrew can we please switch brains ? i could use yours for a test that's coming ;(

(12-09-2012, 03:22 PM)DogFood Wrote: BAndrew can we please switch brains ? i could use yours for a test that's coming ;(
Hahahaha nice one! Smile

I am afraid that's not possible, but I can give you a piece of advice. Study hard and understand what you are reading. This is very imporant. Anyway, good luck!
Also in which subject are you taking the test?

Can't wait BAndrew. Depending on how much time it will take you might consider finding a puzzle online to keep things going, and then you can post your custom puzzle when it's ready.

(12-09-2012, 04:35 PM)Bridge Wrote: Can't wait BAndrew. Depending on how much time it will take you might consider finding a puzzle online to keep things going, and then you can post your custom puzzle when it's ready.
Great idea. Here goes then:

Restless Dog:

A person is returning home with his dog after a walk in the park. The man is walking at a constant speed of 4 km/h. Because the dog is very restless, 8 km before arriving the dog leaves the man and runs away to reach home. The dog runs at a constant speed of 10 km/h. When the dog arrives at the house he sees that the door is locked and changes direction to go to his boss. When the dog reaches the man it changes again its direction to the house. The same process is repeated until the man finally reaches home and unlocks the door.

Question: How far will the dog have travelled since it run away from his master for the first time?

(12-09-2012, 06:04 PM)BAndrew Wrote:
(12-09-2012, 04:35 PM)Bridge Wrote: Can't wait BAndrew. Depending on how much time it will take you might consider finding a puzzle online to keep things going, and then you can post your custom puzzle when it's ready.
Great idea. Here goes then:

Restless Dog:

A person is returning home with his dog after a walk in the park. The man is walking at a constant speed of 4 km/h. Because the dog is very restless, 8 km before arriving the dog leaves the man and runs away to reach home. The dog runs at a constant speed of 10 km/h. When the dog arrives at the house he sees that the door is locked and changes direction to go to his boss. When the dog reaches the man it changes again its direction to the house. The same process is repeated until the man finally reaches home and unlocks the door.

Question: How far will the dog have travelled since it run away from his master for the first time?
20km?