Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
[WIP] Quiet Slumber - (The Tall Man/Slender Man Story) - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods - Development (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-38.html)
+--- Thread: [WIP] Quiet Slumber - (The Tall Man/Slender Man Story) (/thread-19785.html)

Pages: 1 2

Quiet Slumber - (The Tall Man/Slender Man Story) - GlitchScatter - 01-03-2013

I'm looking to make something a bit different and new-ish, granted it is Amnesia and there is only so much you can do, I'm just hoping it comes out as good as I imagine it to be.

I've played a lot of custom stories, and keep finding this mess of either bad stories and good scripting or bad scripting with good stories, hell, even the same story over and over again. Its sorta boring ya'know?

I'm looking for immersion with the story, and actual scares.. more psychological than just your run of the mill jumpscare. I want to freak people out.. or at least give them an unsettled feeling. :c Its hard to come by any of these.. in any game anymore..

Rambling and ranting aside, I'm currently working on such a story (well, trying to at least). This story will be based on a certain creepypasta.. rather, the "actual" legends if you want to call it that.
I've had this strange fascination with Slender Man recently, and I feel that there could be one hell of a good story made that is based on him.

If you have any tips, suggestions or just general ideas of what I could incorporate into the story then by all means please let me know!
I'm also looking for a good slendy model to throw in here as well, but if I can't find one I'll just have to make my own.

Any help would be more than appreciated, music, models, even voice acting if you feel generous.

[I'll keep this updated and post pictures as I go, right now I'm just in the planning stage with tidbits of level designing]

Updates

First floor is nearly complete, just a little bit of decoration and some scripts and I'll show my first screen shots of it hopefully. :D

Here is a picture of the Library, the area I'm thinking I'll start the character off in. So far I haven't gotten much done in the way of scripting, more worried about the aesthetic of the place for now.

[Image: library2_zps2276b61c.png]

Any comments on the looks so far would be great!
Criticism is also more than welcome. c:

RE: Quiet Slumber - Kman - 01-03-2013

This thread will end well.

RE: Quiet Slumber - (The Tall Man/Slender Man Story) - WALP - 01-03-2013

Theres already 2 custom stories/mods being made that are either based on or inspired by the slenderman. So if you wanna make one you better come up with something for original, Good luck ;).

RE: Quiet Slumber - (The Tall Man/Slender Man Story) - Mine Turtle - 01-03-2013

Sounds more professional than the last two.
Good luck!

RE: Quiet Slumber - (The Tall Man/Slender Man Story) - GlitchScatter - 01-03-2013

(01-03-2013, 11:40 AM)Mine Turtle Wrote: Sounds more professional than the last two.
Good luck!

Thanks a lot. C:

RE: Quiet Slumber - (The Tall Man/Slender Man Story) - GlitchScatter - 01-05-2013

Finally added a picture. I'll keep updating with the progress I make.

RE: Quiet Slumber - (The Tall Man/Slender Man Story) - NaxEla - 01-05-2013

By the way, there is a slender model that candlejack131 posted on the forums: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-19179.html

You should probably ask before you use it though.

RE: Quiet Slumber - (The Tall Man/Slender Man Story) - hbcAntonio - 01-05-2013

I totally agree with you on how custom stories focus on making you run and run and run and then jump because a pig was thrown at your face. I mean, Amnesia Gatherers are not scary at all.

No, seriously. Grunt is even laughable. Brute is not, but still isn't terryfing. I find Silent Hill enemies creepier than anything, if you ask me. But what I'm trying to say is that the Gatherers get this 'horror' aspect only because you are afraid of actually meeting one. See, you are walking by and it suddenly jumps at you. Probably you'll scream and then you'll freak out trying to run, and if you can't you'll just give up and that is it. A good scare, but no real horror.

Ambience, sounds and the tension of coming across one is what makes Amnesia scary. And if you actually replace the Gatherers with a static Slenderman model, well, that will make it ten times scarier. Slender does not come after you running, it is the personification of horror. You're afraid of seeing the Grunt, but just seeing it won't harm you. Slenderman, in the other hand, will (I hope so. A running slenderman would be pointless, in my opinion).

So yes, I think this Custom Story you're creating will be very successful if combined with a good plot, mapping and the right scripting events.

About the screenshot... I would feel safe in a place like this. I think it lacks only of details, but the ambience is fine. And here is the trick about lights: you can switch them off. Bright rooms make you feel comfortable, rested. A place where you can finally breath. Give the player that sense and then take it away from him and you'll create a much greater tension. This is a resource you must use carefully, though.

Well, sorry for the long reply, but I always like to give a full explanation about my opinion, haha.

*English is not my native language.

RE: Quiet Slumber - (The Tall Man/Slender Man Story) - GlitchScatter - 01-05-2013

(01-05-2013, 04:18 PM)Robosprog Wrote: That room is far too bright, and the colours seem really bland and uninteresting, in my opinion. The roof and floor tiles look like the standard size, maybe change that a bit?

Thanks for the input ^^ I'll certainly keep it in mind!

(01-05-2013, 07:15 PM)hbcAntonio Wrote: I totally agree with you on how custom stories focus on making you run and run and run and then jump because a pig was thrown at your face. I mean, Amnesia Gatherers are not scary at all.

No, seriously. Grunt is even laughable. Brute is not, but still isn't terryfing. I find Silent Hill enemies creepier than anything, if you ask me. But what I'm trying to say is that the Gatherers get this 'horror' aspect only because you are afraid of actually meeting one. See, you are walking by and it suddenly jumps at you. Probably you'll scream and then you'll freak out trying to run, and if you can't you'll just give up and that is it. A good scare, but no real horror.

Ambience, sounds and the tension of coming across one is what makes Amnesia scary. And if you actually replace the Gatherers with a static Slenderman model, well, that will make it ten times scarier. Slender does not come after you running, it is the personification of horror. You're afraid of seeing the Grunt, but just seeing it won't harm you. Slenderman, in the other hand, will (I hope so. A running slenderman would be pointless, in my opinion).

So yes, I think this Custom Story you're creating will be very successful if combined with a good plot, mapping and the right scripting events.

About the screenshot... I would feel safe in a place like this. I think it lacks only of details, but the ambience is fine. And here is the trick about lights: you can switch them off. Bright rooms make you feel comfortable, rested. A place where you can finally breath. Give the player that sense and then take it away from him and you'll create a much greater tension. This is a resource you must use carefully, though.

Well, sorry for the long reply, but I always like to give a full explanation about my opinion, haha.

*English is not my native language.

No problem and that is what I was leaning towards. People can scare themselves better than anyone else can.

The library is the first place you wake up in this story (at least for now if I can't come up with something else more suitable) its supposed to be average and bland, even safe because I was planning on taking that safety away.

Anyways, thank you so much! ^^

RE: Quiet Slumber - (The Tall Man/Slender Man Story) - GlitchScatter - 01-14-2013

just a small update~

I've been busy with work and real life so progress on the story has been very slow. I'm not sure when I'll be able to work on this again but just letting you know I haven't given up!