Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
How does one defiine good/bad taste in art, if at all? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: How does one defiine good/bad taste in art, if at all? (/thread-21462.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

How does one defiine good/bad taste in art, if at all? - Kreekakon - 05-11-2013

Hey there all. Time for another session where I hear your thoughts on a matter!! This time the question presented will be: How does one define good/ bad taste in art?

Now I'm pretty sure that people have discussed movies, games or whatever with other people before, and sometimes people will consider you liking some works as having "good taste" while liking what seems to be inappropriate as "bad taste".

The question here is, is good, and bad taste a standard that is set in stone, partially set in stone, or something that doesn't exist at all, and just something used to boost the egos of fans of a particular work by dismissing people who disagree with them?

Leave your thoughts below!

RE: How does one defiine good/bad taste in art, if at all? - Danny Boy - 05-11-2013

Bad taste in art is liking superficial "art" works that have little to no dept in story, characters development, esthetics's (these can depend on the person or on the idea it is trying to convey whit the chosen art style), thought put into it, message, and or originality (though great works do not need to be entirely original).

Lets use musics as an example: Steve Reich's music focus greatly on simplicity, in a way running away from the ever more "chaotic" music styles such as metalica and dubstep. And conveying simple messages or "memories" as the theme of his works.

In "Different Trains" Reich uses train sounds (those used by Nazis to transport Jews to their concentration camps) and radio emissions from the time of the second great world war. Reminding us a dark past end at the same time using them as an element of the music itself to tell its message instead of having a singer to be the one telling the "story".

On the other side... This. This... Thing. has a pathetic message, It is simply her using her status of a singer to make fun of an old friend of her that she no longer likes, doing incredibly bad rhymes in the process. Its message is bad. and the reasons of this being made are bad.

RE: How does one defiine good/bad taste in art, if at all? - Bridge - 05-11-2013

There definitely is no such a thing as an objectively bad taste in art, but that doesn't mean that everyone has to agree that all art is equal.

RE: How does one defiine good/bad taste in art, if at all? - Kman - 05-11-2013

art is subjective

good and bad taste are objective terms

therefore there is no such thing as good or bad taste in art

/thread

RE: How does one defiine good/bad taste in art, if at all? - Froge - 05-11-2013

kman pls

Spoiler below!
My music is objectively better than yours

Spoiler below!
HUEHUEHUEHEHEHEHEHUEHUEHUEE

itt chrono thinks he's partitions cus they listen to classical lmao have u even heard of noise rock or lowercase lol pleb

RE: How does one defiine good/bad taste in art, if at all? - Bridge - 05-11-2013

(05-11-2013, 11:39 PM)Kman Wrote: itt chrono thinks he's partitions cus they listen to classical lmao have u even heard of noise rock or lowercase lol pleb

I just listened to a lowercase "composition" and found it thoroughly abhorrent and disgusting. It's even worse than 4'33 because at least that is honest. This is just nothing - and I am as open-minded when it comes to music as anyone.

RE: How does one defiine good/bad taste in art, if at all? - Froge - 05-11-2013

the only kman music I thought was decent was that one ambient electronica or something that looked like green water and was really long

(05-11-2013, 11:47 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(05-11-2013, 11:39 PM)Kman Wrote: itt chrono thinks he's partitions cus they listen to classical lmao have u even heard of noise rock or lowercase lol pleb

I just listened to a lowercase "composition" and found it thoroughly abhorrent and disgusting. It's even worse than 4'33 because at least that is honest. This is just nothing - and I am as open-minded when it comes to music as anyone.

i dunno what kinda stuff you're listening to but some of it's really interesting

(05-11-2013, 11:50 PM)Chronofluff Wrote: the only kman music I thought was decent was that one ambient electronica or something that looked like green water and was really long

oval is fucking awesome agreed

i bet if you listened to more of the stuff i've posted you'd probs find some you liked cause i actually link a lot of ambient/glitch stuff

(05-11-2013, 11:51 PM)Kman Wrote: i dunno what kinda stuff you're listening to but some of it's really interesting