Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Religion - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Religion (/thread-23750.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: Religion - Nice - 10-31-2013

(10-31-2013, 10:26 PM)Paddy™ Wrote: Everyone here is an "atheist"
oh my god
Quote:fact that it's fiction.
It's not a fact

RE: Religion - Mechavomit - 10-31-2013

Everyone is an atheist until the plane starts to fall.

RE: Religion - Ashtoreth - 10-31-2013

(10-31-2013, 10:38 PM)Dogfood Wrote:
(10-31-2013, 10:26 PM)Paddy™ Wrote: Everyone here is an "atheist"

oh my god

Why are you quote mining? Did you actually read the rest of the sentence?

RE: Religion - Cuyir - 10-31-2013

(10-31-2013, 10:39 PM)Mechavomit Wrote: Everyone is an atheist until the plane starts to fall.

Not everyone though.

Some people are raised christian and then just ''wander off the path'' and then they remember their god.

Some atheists weren't convinced enough and then something happens and they remember the god.

Others just go ''weeeeeeeeeeell shit, here it comes''.

(10-31-2013, 10:26 PM)Cuyir Wrote: @Dogfood:

The thing with your example is that you're using your biases to tell us who is happier.

The atheist knows what to expect. If he/she hasn't found peace with that then he/she's not a very good atheist. How does this make him/her ''less happy''?

The christian person lives in an illusion that gives him/her faith. You then say this person wakes up in heaven and everything is perfect and golden. If a god exists, why wouldn't he accept the atheist in this strict scenario of yours? He/she's an atheist, not a child murderer. Why can't the atheist wake up in heaven too?

Point is: your scenario is highly biased by your belief system and you're TELLING us that the christian is happier because he/she's a christian.

And again, i'm not a chest thumping atheist. I have my own system of beliefs and thoughts that don't come from judeo-christian religions.

Being happy near death is being prepared and at peace; not having a card (so to speak) that says ''i'm a christian, everything is fine''.

I'm using biases? i still hear the words "living in illusion" yes. So neutral of you.

If we're playing a game like this let me fix your post a bit "the atheist THINKS he knows what to expect"

I never really said that God throws every atheist to hell, i dont know, i'm not him and i'm not going to judge who goes where. But then again the correct definition of hell is not "Satan goat party with chains, spikes and fire" Hell is actually just absence of God. So if one is to reject the idea of God and refuses to think of a deity such as God then what does he have to complain about when someone says "you're going to hell". Also i'm not saying that atheists should go to hell because that would be unfair, i know a fair share of kind hearted atheists.

once again the "bias" i can only comment on that with..look who's talking. Sorry but i think everyone except bridge (<pleasent surprise) is so high on their horse when marking religious people "diluded, living in illusion" or just calling it fiction

edit: Ashtorreth yes i did and it doesnt really make any difference, he still marked everyone to be an atheist

@Dogfood: my thoughts are colored by my beliefs, just like everyone here.

Doesn't change the fact that being prepared for death doesn't mean you have to be a christian. Have you heard of the five stages of grief?

People who go through all the stages in the correct manner deal with their own mortality better than those who do not. Your scenario has the atheist going to hell (your words) and the christian going to heaven. Pretty slanted scenario if you tell me. You can edit my personal beliefs out, fact is still there.

RE: Religion - Ashtoreth - 10-31-2013

(10-31-2013, 10:48 PM)Dogfood Wrote: edit: Ashtorreth yes i did and it doesnt really make any difference, he still marked everyone to be an atheist

You missed the point he was trying to make then. Don't take everything so literally.

(10-31-2013, 10:53 PM)Cuyir Wrote: @Dogfood: my thoughts are colored by my beliefs, just like everyone here.

Doesn't change the fact that being prepared for death doesn't mean you have to be a christian. Have you heard of the five stages of grief?

People who go through all the stages in the correct manner deal with their own mortality better than those who do not. Your scenario has the atheist going to hell (your words) and the christian going to heaven. Pretty slanted scenario if you tell me. You can edit my personal beliefs out, fact is still there.

so are mine so i see no reason to call me out on being biased.

Where did i say that an atheist cant be prepared for death aka accept it? Okay you tell me, which person is going to go down happier, the one that accepts that once he passes out he will cease to exist or the one that believes that when he passes out he will wake up in eternal paradise? Okay you can call this bias but i hardly believe the first person would be more content than the second one. I dont know, my opinion, you tell me.

wait where and when did i actually condemn the atheist to go to hell?

(10-31-2013, 11:02 PM)Dogfood Wrote:
(10-31-2013, 10:53 PM)Cuyir Wrote: @Dogfood: my thoughts are colored by my beliefs, just like everyone here.

so are mine so i see no reason to call me out on being biased.

Where did i say that an atheist cant be prepared for death aka accept it? Okay you tell me, which person is going to go down happier, the one that accepts that once he passes out he will cease to exist or the one that believes that when he passes out he will wake up in eternal paradise? Okay you can call this bias but i hardly believe the first person would be more content than the second one. I dont know, my opinion, you tell me.

wait where and when did i actually condemn the atheist to go to hell?

Why do you still intend to tell us that the atheist will be less happier in death than the christian? I already told you that being at peace with one's mortality doesn't require being a christian.

And you did:

''I never really said that God throws every atheist to hell, i dont know, i'm not him and i'm not going to judge who goes where. But then again the correct definition of hell is not "Satan goat party with chains, spikes and fire" Hell is actually just absence of God. So if one is to reject the idea of God and refuses to think of a deity such as God then what does he have to complain about when someone says "you're going to hell".

RE: Religion - Paddy™ - 10-31-2013

Paddy™ Wrote:Everyone here is an "atheist"
oh my god

Did you read the rest of the sentence?

Paddy™ Wrote:fact that it's fiction.
It's not a fact

I'd say it's fiction. If tales of people performing miracles and rising from the dead don't qualify as fiction I'm not sure what does.

The Bible is worthless as a historical document; its writers wrote their accounts of the events portrayed in it long after they are said to have happened, hundreds of years later in most cases. I don't choose to believe, or even give passing thought, to a document based on written accounts of oral histories of ancient events which defy the most basic laws of nature and would cause any first year history student to be expelled with extreme prejudice if he were to present such a work as his end of term paper.

Many of the central events in the Bible which might well have been possible turn out not to have happened after all. The mass exodus from Egypt, for instance. Archaeological investigations, performed by Israelis with a bias in favour of proving that the event actually occurred, found no evidence of it. Likewise, there's no evidence that there was a census like the one detailed in the Bible, or that the first-born males were to be slaughtered under Herod's orders, or that there was any great flood.

I could probably build a more convincing case that the Lord of the Rings trilogy was based on actual events.

(10-31-2013, 10:48 PM)Dogfood Wrote: edit: Ashtorreth yes i did and it doesnt really make any difference, he still marked everyone to be an atheist

So you DO believe in Thor and unicorns? Maybe I was too presumptuous, it hadn't occurred to me that you might be reserving judgement on the question of whether or not Thor actually exists.

I go along with the scientific approach; nothing is ever 100% proven, and nothing can be 100% disproved. Thor could exist, but we have to take what evidence is available to us and make the best decision we can with it. So, is it likely that Thor exists? Absolutely not. Being an atheist doesn't mean you state with certainty that God doesn't exist, it's taking the position that the evidence for a God is extremely sparse/dubious/unreliable.