Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia / SOMA - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia / SOMA (/thread-26059.html)

RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia - Ghieri - 06-28-2013

(06-28-2013, 04:17 PM)The Mug Wrote: I guess its also relevant here so..
Spoiler below!

RISE THREAD RISE!!!
[Image: CB5LMNK.jpg]

Why do you have triangles??? WHYYYYYYYY?!?

Blender 2.6 has ngons and quads, you should never have to use triangles except for special cases.

Why you shouldn't use triangles.

EDIT: It just occurred to me you might have done that for exporting to an engine that doesn't support ngons. Teehee.

RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia - Traggey - 06-29-2013

Don't ever use ngons, don't. T's bad.

Polygons/triangles is what you want, also he did mention he baked the model, and to get the best results out of bakes you're going to want a triangulated mesh.

RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia - Danny Boy - 06-29-2013

(06-28-2013, 10:09 PM)Aldighieri Wrote: Why do you have triangles??? WHYYYYYYYY?!?

Because every game in existence uses them?

RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia - DavidS - 06-30-2013

Thought I show this thread some lovin`. Personal pencil study for a painting I wanna do in the short future. Original idea came in a demonstration I gave students, in wich I was teaching how to do proper research for character design. These two are based on a rare bacterial infection. Google at your own risk...

[Image: nomastudy_zpsd4992640.jpg]

RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia - Danny Boy - 06-30-2013

TEACH...ME!!!

RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia - DavidS - 06-30-2013

If you want to train those illustration muscles I suggest signing up at Ballistic Publishing, Gnomon or Crimson Daggers (wich is free) or see if there are atelier schools and lifedrawing classes in your area. Good books for self-teaching would be everything that Andrew Loomis, Burne Hogarth and Gottfried Bammes ever wrote.

RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia - DavidS - 07-01-2013

By the way teaching... I thought I revisit an old concept I did a longer while ago and see what I can do today. I leave this here as a little motivator that with time everyone can get good at anything. That he now looks like the bastard child of Tom Cruise and Nolan North might be due to a little lack of sleep. xD

That`s actually a good thing to do! Whenever you feel like you`re not making progress with whatever you`re doing, revisit something you did in the past and do it with your current skills and mindset. You will feel better most of the time, and if not, you maybe learn something that you did better in the past. I revisit concepts every now and then whenever I feel like smashing my tablet against the wall.

[Image: vergleich2_zpsfff2ffb6.jpg]

RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia - Traggey - 07-04-2013

Something I made a while back!

[Image: fantasy_styled_weapons_concept__by_traggey-d6bn6gd.png]

RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia - Juras - 07-04-2013

Here's a concept art I did and an alien creature that I'm working on (currently retopologized and I'm about to UV map it).

[img][Image: 0Xa5Spf.jpg][/img]

[img][Image: D1Nj745.jpg][/img]

(The alien sculpt)

[img][Image: PzMLnh7.png][/img]

(retopologized mesh)

RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia - PutraenusAlivius - 07-04-2013

[Image: zlq2ys.jpg]

Just something I quickly whipped out. It's an AK-47. It's textureless as you can see and some things that are poorly done, but I guess it's something right?

Poly count is 374 Faces, 1322 Tris, and 716 Vertices. Dunno why the tris is so many.