Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Running level editor and Amnesia simultaneously - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: Running level editor and Amnesia simultaneously (/thread-4375.html)

Running level editor and Amnesia simultaneously - tommalm - 09-15-2010

Hi!

I just finished the "Setting up Development Environment" guide, and have set up a test map. Now I'm having trouble running both the editor and Amnesia in dev-mode at the same time. When testing the level inside Amnesia, WITH the level editor running, I'm getting 2-3 fps. Without the level editor I have a steady 60 fps.

Amensia is set to run at "high" on 1920x1200. I also tested this with the "low" settings with the same result.

My machine specs are:
3.2 ghz Xeon W5580
24 gb ram
Nvidia 295 gtx (latest drivers)
Amnesia is running on a 300 gb 10k rpm hdd.

Should I be able to run these programs side by side?

Thank you
-tom

RE: Running level editor and Amnesia simultaneously - jens - 09-15-2010

Make sure to run in window mode for both editor and game, also no need to go over the top with the resolution when developing. Also lower settings, for example if you have edge smooth on, then turn it off as you really do not need it when making a level. Same with SSAO, you can have it on but can leave the samples on 4 or 8.

I have been running the game, level and model editor at the same time for the whole development without any problems, the game in 1024x768 and editors the same, then with settings that are quite like the medium default. This on a computer with an GeForce 6800GT, old Athlon 2.2 Ghz CPU and 1 GB RAM. So should not be a problem, as long as the settings are set to "fitting for development".

RE: Running level editor and Amnesia simultaneously - tommalm - 09-15-2010

(09-15-2010, 11:33 AM)jens Wrote: Make sure to run in window mode for both editor and game, also no need to go over the top with the resolution when developing. Also lower settings, for example if you have edge smooth on, then turn it off as you really do not need it when making a level. Same with SSAO, you can have it on but can leave the samples on 4 or 8.

I have been running the game, level and model editor at the same time for the whole development without any problems, the game in 1024x768 and editors the same, then with settings that are quite like the medium default. This on a computer with an GeForce 6800GT, old Athlon 2.2 Ghz CPU and 1 GB RAM. So should not be a problem, as long as the settings are set to "fitting for development".

Thank you for the reply!
Yes I'm now running both in windowed mode, with lowered resolution, but I'm still getting 2-3fps.

Don't know if this is related, but when I'm running Amnesia (testlevel) and then opening the level editor, I get a crash. (I've attached the errorlog).

It seems that something here is wrong, because I shouldn't be seeing such a performance. But where?

Thank you.
-tom

Actually, the performance I get when running both programs at once, is the same as I got trying to run the demo. I saw a post connecting the poor demo performance/black screen/hangs with ATI video cards. But I'm running an Nvidia card, so there must be something else here.

Any suggestions where to start? I've now tried running Amnesia and the editor at all sorts of resultions and detail level, the result is the same, extremly poor performance. It takes several seconds for a mouse click, or a keypress to register. Its completly unusable running both programs at once at my end.

-tom

RE: Running level editor and Amnesia simultaneously - jens - 09-15-2010

Can you try and disable Aero and see if that helps? None of us have that fancy modern Operating Systems so that could be it.

Oh forgot about the OS, I'm running Vista Business 64bit.
I'm running the os with all visual effects turned off, classic xp style, so aero was never activated.

-tom