Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Probably been asked... Weapons? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: Probably been asked... Weapons? (/thread-5369.html)

Pages: 1 2

Probably been asked... Weapons? - braidedsin - 11-08-2010

I certainly realize you can't use any weapons in the game, but isn't it possible to mod one into a custom story?

edit- I've done my searching on this and I haven't seen it done. I don't think it's because the shadow as well as enemies are immune that nobody's done it. Personally, a revolver with one bullet ready to go would suffice me the whole game, or even just something to swing. In a realistic sense I think Daniel would've not only grabbed candles and torches, he'd have swung with a fist and yelled when one of those ghoulies ran at him. And from my understanding there was at least one weapon in penumbra (never played, yet) and the engines aren't entirely different.

RE: Probably been asked... Weapons? - LoneWolf - 11-08-2010

Theres no scripting to the enemys or animations for there death. But, you can turn them to dust with some scripting, eg. when a certain object touches the enemy it will turn to dust. Similar to hillusination. But i think thats as good as it gets unless you add animations and scripts to enemys.

RE: Probably been asked... Weapons? - braidedsin - 11-08-2010

Ahh, thank you. I think the dust idea would work just as well, considering what they are. That's awesome. So there's still no real potential for a projectile, then? As you'd need to model, script, and animate a pistol to be in-game?

RE: Probably been asked... Weapons? - Spooder Wekd - 11-08-2010

You could definitely do it, fairly easily. But that defeats the purpose. It would be like saying: "Okay, how about we just watch the grass grow on the field instead of having that whole superbowl thing happen." It is possible, but a bad idea.

Well the reason I asked was because I was thinking of making a total conversion mod and loosely basing it off of the book Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson. I had hoped that there were more models than just the ghoulies but after looking I don't see much in the way of humanoids, except dead ones. I was thinking of using their currency and possibly adding a flintlock should I come across the model somewhere, but so far I either A: don't have the talent, or B: Am deviating too far from what the engine can handle. Instead of just baddies I was hoping to add NPC's which really doesn't seem possible.

It is possible to add NPS's. They are the same as "baddies" just not bad! Tongue You would need to know how to program though...and you would need to have the time, patience, and skill to make AI which is a bitch to make!

Ugh, I can just imagine... Oh well, at least the level editor can produce some very nice looking interiors which can be played with.

RE: Probably been asked... Weapons? - LoneWolf - 11-08-2010

you can import enemys and entities etc. look at Everlone thread, he put a penumbra enemy as a download and it works Big Grin also download his level if you want some penumbra entities and wall and ceiling textures.

But yeah making ai is very very hard to do unless you've had training or spend alto of time learning... that could take a year before you can make decent ai if you spend good time on it.

Oh and it wouldnt be too difficult to give entities animations etc from amnesia enemys. Eg. this will sound rediculous but its an idea... give a box the animations and blah blah blah of the water lurker, then you will have a box chasing you in the water i assume. But you would probably need to get help with it unless you knwo what your doing.

Sounds like a good idea. Curious, though, can you take the hostility out of an enemy so it just sits there? Would it be possible to create a vendor in that sense? I don't want an NPC that follows or really reacts at all, just one that can communicate on a very basic level to advance the player.

You can make enemies just sit there like rocks, yes. As for giving a box the sewer monster animation you're wrong. an animation alone is not enough to make a box into a hostile NPC. you would need to give it the code of the water monster. Also, the water monster is invisible, and thus has no model or animation. I donno what the hell you were talking about.