Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Amnesia VS Penumbra - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Amnesia VS Penumbra (/thread-6008.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Amnesia VS Penumbra - Alpha - 01-02-2011

Hey guys! I just bought and installed Amnesia (it started working.) and im scared too start. I was just wondering. Which game is scarier Amnesia VS Penumbra? and also generally, which game is better?

I also wanted to ask a question. I never played a scary game before or any horror games. and im young Tongue for the gamma thingy on Amnesia( the controlling on the light), how should i set it? like what number? plz tell me . thnx!

RE: Amnesia VS Penumbra - DIGI Byte - 01-02-2011

set your gamma to slightly less then the default

as for penumbra and amnesia, penumbra is kinda rubbish, I found it as more of a long boring chore to play, it has its moments but well... I just got bored and sick of it

the best you can get out of penumbra is watching a let's play of it

Amnesia is great

RE: Amnesia VS Penumbra - Alpha - 01-02-2011

(01-02-2011, 03:54 AM)DIGI Byte Wrote: set your gamma to slightly less then the default

as for penumbra and amnesia, penumbra is kinda rubbish, I found it as more of a long boring chore to play, it has its moments but well... I just got bored and sick of it

the best you can get out of penumbra is watching a let's play of it

Amnesia is great

so the gamma should i make it less than half of the bar? i made it full(for now) its not scary so far....no monster but the music is scary and gives me chills

Gamma should be on 0.9 for standard lcd monitor, basically you should see the right box as visable and the left box barely visible... like so you can just see it against the black

RE: Amnesia VS Penumbra - Alpha - 01-02-2011

(01-02-2011, 05:04 AM)DIGI Byte Wrote: Gamma should be on 0.9 for standard lcd monitor, basically you should see the right box as visable and the left box barely visible... like so you can just see it against the black

thnx! hey i like your pic. isn't he from the jackie chan cartoon series ?

RE: Amnesia VS Penumbra - Spooder Wekd - 01-02-2011

I prefer Penumbra 100 times over Amnesia, it is also 100 times scarier. I loved the story in Penumbra whereas I kinda didn't care about Daniel as much. Both great games, and the differences are minimal, but if I was going to be locked up and forced to play one game for the rest of my days. It would be Penumbra! (cause I get RED!! Big Grin )

(01-02-2011, 05:18 AM)Alpha Wrote:
(01-02-2011, 05:04 AM)DIGI Byte Wrote: Gamma should be on 0.9 for standard lcd monitor, basically you should see the right box as visable and the left box barely visible... like so you can just see it against the black

thnx! hey i like your pic. isn't he from the jackie chan cartoon series ?

it sure is.

1 more thing...
Penumbra isn't much of a horror, but it does have moments when it starts to shine.
Some people loved it, others hated it, the whole enemies in it are all skeptical and tacky in my opinion

both games have their ups and downs, you just wont see my playing penumbra

RE: Amnesia VS Penumbra - Yuhaney - 01-02-2011

Penumbra. Hands down.

RE: Amnesia VS Penumbra - Som1Lse - 01-02-2011

My preference is Amnesia.
Although Penumbra had the scariest moments, they kind of went like "dah dah dah DUFF dah dah DUFF dah DUFF dah dah DUFF" etc.
While as Amnesia was more "DUFF DUFF DUFF DUFF dah DUFF" etc.
It just felt more scary overall, whereas Penumbra had some really scary moments (near the end of Black Plague I actually screamed out loud several times).

Both are great games though.

I recommend you to keep gamma at "1", and change your screen's "contrast" and "brightness" settings.
Set contrast to max and adjust gamma so it fits with DIGI Byte's post. ("basically you should see the right box as visable and the left box barely visible")
If you just can't make it fit perfectly then try to adjust the games gamma.

RE: Amnesia VS Penumbra - LoneWolf - 01-02-2011

I prefered amnesia for scares, but penumbra for story... but the last episode to penumbra was boring and could have been done alot better i think.