Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Can the wolf be killed in the demo? (Spoiler) - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Penumbra: Overture, Black Plague & Requiem (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: Can the wolf be killed in the demo? (Spoiler) (/thread-633.html)

Can the wolf be killed in the demo? (Spoiler) - OzzieBloke - 03-19-2007

Have played the demo quite a few times now, and have attempted to kill the wolf in various ways. For instance:

I've tried putting rocks on top of the small pile of boxes covered with the blanket near the wolf trigger point, triggering the wolf and then jumping up on the blanket-covered boxes, and then attempting to bash the wolf with the rocks (the hint says they can do much damage if dropped on someone). Controls are so fiddly even in interact mode that I can't actually hit the wolf with any force, and eventually he jumps up and kills me. Not to mention a few times I know I have sconned the wolf well and truly with the rock, and it's done bugger all damage.

Alternatively, I've used the creep and hide method, which works excellently to get me past the wolf (have the trigger wolf first, run like heck behind the boxes and duck, extinguish any lights and go into hide mode). Problem is, your radio goes off once you get beyond the barrels, the wolf turns around at the noise, and here comes death again.

I have managed, in creep mode, to thump the wolf about 4 times with the hammer by stalking after it; gibs fly off, so I know I am injuring it, but how many hits with a hammer does it take to kill the wolf? Can it even be killed in this manner? In the normal game, will you have to receive a few bites before being killed? If the regular games sees you killed with just one bite, it's going to be a frustrating game indeed.

I have to say the whole "swinging the weapon" thing is clumsy, because you can't actually turn and direct your shot when you are in the middle of a swing. You keep moving in a straight line whilst your enemy circles around you. Pretty useless if you ask me. Would have much preferred a simple click trigger to swing your weapon: short click for short, weak attack, click and hold for a short moment for a stronger attack. Having the hold down the R mouse button in the middle of the swing to aim, release, reclick, etc, just makes for an overly frustrating and poorly responsive system, particualrly in the middle of a melee. If this is how it is in the final game, I would be hoping for an optional patch that would change the attack method to something more practical.

Otherwise, the game is looking quite nice, and the atmosphere is great.

RE: Can the wolf be killed in the demo? (Spoiler) - Sepai - 03-19-2007

well I did give a few shots but all ended in instant death and running around there is no actual end
so i came to my conclusion that the wolf is not ment to die only to kill you

well that is my hypothesis Big Grin

RE: Can the wolf be killed in the demo? (Spoiler) - OzzieBloke - 03-19-2007

Sepai Wrote:well I did give a few shots but all ended in instant death and running around there is no actual end

I got that impression too, given that there appears to be no death sequence or sounds in the files for the games. Really kind of disappointing, and a poor way to end a demo (with a feeling of helplessness).

RE: Can the wolf be killed in the demo? (Spoiler) - Sepai - 03-19-2007

OzzieBloke Wrote:
Sepai Wrote:well I did give a few shots but all ended in instant death and running around there is no actual end

I got that impression too, given that there appears to be no death sequence or sounds in the files for the games.  Really kind of disappointing, and a poor way to end a demo (with a feeling of helplessness).

Well it is kinda the way it is ment to be a feeling of helplessness and desperation

In my opinion it is an ending better then walk through a door way (and then die Tongue )  

RE: Can the wolf be killed in the demo? (Spoiler) - HiViH - 03-19-2007

lol like in the tech demo ? ם:
Besides i would prefer something killing me then suddenly get a blank screen saying get the full game and i cant skip it ><

RE: Can the wolf be killed in the demo? (Spoiler) - Wolfgang - 03-22-2007

Yes, you can do it! Trigger the dog and jump on one of the two wooden boxes. Kneel down (Ctrl) and hit it several times with the hammer, then it goes down. Now you can move around undisturbed. If you get back to the dog, maybe it is moving again and now hurry to hit it again!

RE: Can the wolf be killed in the demo? (Spoiler) - Yuhaney - 03-26-2007

No. You can't kill it in Demo, but you can pass it...

RE: Can the wolf be killed in the demo? (Spoiler) - ShadowMan - 03-27-2007

Wolfgang Wrote:Yes, you can do it! Trigger the dog and jump on one of the two wooden boxes. Kneel down (Ctrl) and hit it several times with the hammer, then it goes down. Now you can move around undisturbed. If you get back to the dog, maybe it is moving again and now hurry to hit it again!
That isn't working for me. Crouching down just gets me in range of its attack.

Getting on the crate does give you a good look at it though. Arnold Schwarzenegger's famous quote from Predator works pretty well to describe it...