Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED) - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods - Development (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-38.html)
+--- Thread: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED) (/thread-6949.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED) - Khyrpa - 05-22-2011

Good lord its a cheeseburger!

I'm going to agree completely on bobbos feedback!
You used lighting very well, perhaps add a supporting point light next to windows (you have only 1 spot light at each). And I'm damn glad that when I lit a candle, you had them connected to a point light! Also great work with the particles, it actually felt like there was cold outside.

But I had one big problem on my playthrough:
Spoiler below!
I didn't spot the movable carpet, it was so well hidden in the dark spot with stuff covering it. I had to find it through level editor. I'm quite sure I will not be the only one going to get stuck in there.

Story wise I hope you tweak the ending starting from the dagger part to something more fitting.

RE: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED) - bobbo - 05-22-2011

(05-22-2011, 02:31 PM)Khyrpa Wrote: But I had one big problem on my playthrough:
Spoiler below!
I didn't spot the movable carpet, it was so well hidden in the dark spot with stuff covering it. I had to find it through level editor. I'm quite sure I will not be the only one going to get stuck in there.

Story wise I hope you tweak the ending starting from the dagger part to something more fitting.

Oh, I forgot about this one:
Spoiler below!

First, I didn't find the carpet either. But when I explored the room I was able to peek into the safe hole behind the shelf and could pick up the laudanum. I came here to see if I had done anything wrong. I then read in DamnNoHtmls's feedback that he had picked up key, note and laudanum from the safe so I continued to look for the mechanism. Eventually I checked the carpet one more time and finally it worked. The problem for me was: The hand showing you can move it didn't appear when pointing on the carpet in general. I had to find special spots on the carpet to grab it. This also made it a bit complicated to move the carpet away. I guess this was intended so players don't find the mechanism too quickly - but maybe it could be a little easier again?

RE: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED) - Dark Knight - 05-22-2011

Excellent story, and impressive part with moving carpet and grunt there in study. seems he dont disappears...Shy

btw, # spider's web used from justine files or from streetboat"s files?
[Image: webrg.th.jpg]

RE: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED) - plutomaniac - 05-22-2011

Great effort but BUGS!!!!!!

So I'm at the library/study and after having everything there I go down the ladder. Activate the switch and go back. The brute spawns. After that, full of bugs.

1) It seems like that when the brute spawns a invisible wall appears at the ladder so that you cannot go down. Well, the first time I played it I didn't leave the ladder when the monster spawned and so I was stuck down there and couldn't leave the place.
2) The second time I went up and bypassed the brute. I left from where the brute came and turned right and it told me RUN and so I started running. When I reached the main hall it told me unlock the door with the key and leave or something like that. I didn't have any key but even if I had I certainly didn't have time to unlock, open and escape from the door. This thing is right behind you.
3) After that, the game automatically spawned me at the begging of this map but it wouldn't let me control the screen. Whenever I tried to change it it would automatically make me look somewhere. I went to the main hall and that door that needed the key was now semi-broken but still locked. I could see a hallway only through the gap. I couldn't do anything else but to load a previous save I had done before the brute.
4) The fourth time I escaped the monster again but did not turn right and went straight ahead to the start of the map. I bypassed the hallway from which I came from(the shop) and went into the closet at the end of the main hall where previously I had found a key. Just for fun I opened the closet and went it. Suddenly my player fainted and another brute appeared. I managed to close the doors but the brute saw me and now he is hitting the doors but can't do anything to brake them. So right now, I'm in the closet with the brute slamming it constantly without leaving. I'm screwed. I must load my previous save again apparently.

I remembered just now that something moved in the library before the monster spawned. Maybe I had to go there. Maybe I shouldn't have gone back from where the monster came. Maybe this chase and the closet thing are events that should normally happen after I pick the key to that door. I'm guessing that this key will be found at the place that opened in the library, right? I don't even know where this is. Well, if that's the case, then you shouldn't let the player leave the library from where the monster came in the first place until he has the key.

EDIT(Bug 5): I now did it correctly. At least the key part. Then I found another bug that allows me to avoid the monster chaise scene after RUN message. When run appeared I went to the room on the left where the are lots of paintings and hid there. The monster barely saw me and then couldn't find me. After a minute he left and so I went on, left the room, unlocked the other door and started running because another brute now spawned behind the door which if everything had gone as they should the player would think that is is the same one like at the message RUN.

I really loved the story before the library part but after that: bug after bug after bug - I'm getting crazy here!

I'm now at the next map and really hope not to found any other bugs! By the way, the first place(shop)... amazing! All the areas have a very special atmosphere and feeling - love them. Though I hate bugs that ruin my immersion to your fantastic story!

sorry for the essay guys but I have a point here...

RE: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED) - Kyle - 05-22-2011

Also to point out a bug myself. In the first room where there is the crowbar, there appears to be some food sacks that are stuck on the shelf. :/

(05-22-2011, 05:40 PM)Kyle Wrote: Also to point out a bug myself. In the first room where there is the crowbar, there appears to be some food sacks that are stuck on the shelf. :/

yes the same with some barrels near the heating place but I don't think that's a real problem. The other ones at the library are huge though...

RE: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED) - Streetboat - 05-22-2011

Wow!

Thanks, everyone, for the great feedback. I am just now realizing that I should have tested more in the study area, as that's clearly where everyone has the problems. I have fixed all of the problems that everyone was having, they were some annoyingly simple fixes. As for immovable barrels: they're meant to be static. They're heavy barrels! Anyways, I uploaded v2 to all the links, and here's a link for convenience:

Version 2

As for the positive feedback, it warms my heart to hear you all say these things, especially about the lighting. I've done level design for various video games for most of my teenage life (I'm 20 now), and I love the intricacies of placing details to make an area totally believable. Unfortunately, as you can tell, storytelling isn't my forté. My goal is to be the designer while someone writes the story.

Plutomaniac: You must have an old version of the level, as those are all bugs I have fixed since then. It's really unfortunate that I didn't iron all these things out before I released, but you do what you can. I did all the testing myself, so of course there are going to be things I missed. If you download this version, all of those things should be done away with.

Spoiler below!
As for the dagger, I was hoping that my subtle use of decals (bloody handprint over the heart) and the placement of ritualistic symbols would make it clear that the dagger was meant for that corpse. It worked in my mind, haha. In the final version I'll make it clearer, or perhaps even change that entire section. It is also part of the whole 'unanswered questions' part of the demo. Remember, this is just a teaser, meant to make you ask questions.

RE: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED) - RawkBandMan - 05-22-2011

I can't figure out what to do in the Study
Spoiler below!
after the I go into the room that has a half broken door

EDIT: Didn't see the V2 above. Does it help the problem I'm having?

RE: Snowed In (Custom Story DEMO RELEASED) - Streetboat - 05-22-2011

Yes, it does.

(05-22-2011, 07:29 PM)Streetboat Wrote: Plutomaniac: You must have an old version of the level, as those are all bugs I have fixed since then. It's really unfortunate that I didn't iron all these things out before I released, but you do what you can. I did all the testing myself, so of course there are going to be things I missed. If you download this version, all of those things should be done away with.

Well I clicked the image in your first post to download the story only some hours ago. I saw that you updated the image link like an hour ago. The previous link is the version that I have with the bugs. I downloaded v2. I will keep the saves and continue with v2. I hope there is no problem with the old saves...