Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Need testers! please :) - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods - Development (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-38.html)
+--- Thread: Need testers! please :) (/thread-7221.html)

Pages: 1 2

Need testers! please :) - Itskody - 04-06-2011

I have made a short little map, its my first one, and as i was making it i got better with scripting and whatever but its just a rough copy.. i was wondering if ANYONE can test it for me, it would be very much appreiciated, PM me asking to test it! Instead of PMing me just download my map and test it out and tell me about it please and thank you

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4w7je408ih344ug/Testing.rar

RE: Need testers! please :) - KenOfAllTrades - 04-06-2011

Okay, so I've got a problem with my laptop where anything easily overheats it so it's gotta cool down every 5 minutes of gameplay or so, so I'm just gonna post my impressions so far.

Spoiler below!
I'm just gonna write everything I found wrong from beginning to start so, the closet at the beginning, even if not open, Daniel still makes the reaction he should make when I open it. When I got the key and the monster appeared behind me, I think that's a bit early to place a monster.

When I got out in the hallway and a monster appeared, I had NO IDEA where to hide, so I walked backwards and tried to hide in the darkness but he started lunging at me, so I saw the room I was supposed to hide in. I didn't close the door behind me in time and he killed me. Next thing I knew, I was back in the first room but unable to leave because the door was locked and the key was used.

Also, you've got to give the player a break. Monsters appear too frequently in locations that are way too random and up in the player's face. If it wasn't for the fact that I've been playing this game all day, I wouldn't have been able to proceed with playing as I would have been too scared by the fact that a monster could appear at any time anywhere.

I'm currently hiding in a closet in the first room in the Study, but except for the things I've written above, I like it, and I'll proceed with playing it until the end

RE: Need testers! please :) - Itskody - 04-06-2011

(04-06-2011, 06:30 PM)KenOfAllTrades Wrote: Okay, so I've got a problem with my laptop where anything easily overheats it so it's gotta cool down every 5 minutes of gameplay or so, so I'm just gonna post my impressions so far.

Spoiler below!
I'm just gonna write everything I found wrong from beginning to start so, the closet at the beginning, even if not open, Daniel still makes the reaction he should make when I open it. When I got the key and the monster appeared behind me, I think that's a bit early to place a monster.

When I got out in the hallway and a monster appeared, I had NO IDEA where to hide, so I walked backwards and tried to hide in the darkness but he started lunging at me, so I saw the room I was supposed to hide in. I didn't close the door behind me in time and he killed me. Next thing I knew, I was back in the first room but unable to leave because the door was locked and the key was used.

Also, you've got to give the player a break. Monsters appear too frequently in locations that are way too random and up in the player's face. If it wasn't for the fact that I've been playing this game all day, I wouldn't have been able to proceed with playing as I would have been too scared by the fact that a monster could appear at any time anywhere.

I'm currently hiding in a closet in the first room in the Study, but except for the things I've written above, I like it, and I'll proceed with playing it until the end

Alright thanks, like i said i know there alot of flaws, i was just testing the scripting i was learning. AND when the character gets scared by looking at the closet, i have no idea why that happens, i cant seem to fix it so he gets scared when he opens the closet. but im glad to know your scared of it. that was also my intentions
one thing i should have put in tho, are checkpoints, i never put those so if you die, im sorry but youll need to exit the game and come back in. i got so sue to it that i knew when everything was going to happen so i didnt really die.

RE: Need testers! please :) - KenOfAllTrades - 04-06-2011

Final impressions

Spoiler below!
So there weren't much other than the water part after the Study? Well in that case,

My final impression is that I liked it, but you gotta calm down with the monsters, make it easier to hide, and not have too many parts where you have to run away from it. The first real monster was pretty harsh.

Also, items were a bit frequent, which considerably lowers the difficulty, but yeah, I don't really mind this as I like easy games (Tongue) but I bet some players won't, as they're too used to the conservative side of most custom stories.

I'm looking forward to a later/finished version of this! Keep practicing!

(04-06-2011, 06:41 PM)KenOfAllTrades Wrote: Final impressions

Spoiler below!
So there weren't much other than the water part after the Study? Well in that case,

My final impression is that I liked it, but you gotta calm down with the monsters, make it easier to hide, and not have too many parts where you have to run away from it. The first real monster was pretty harsh.

Also, items were a bit frequent, which considerably lowers the difficulty, but yeah, I don't really mind this as I like easy games (Tongue) but I bet some players won't, as they're too used to the conservative side of most custom stories.

I'm looking forward to a later/finished version of this! Keep practicing!

hahaha thanks, i realize alot of the mistakes that you said. haha except when i made it, its all seemed so easy, which is why i needed testers lol. well iuno if ill change it around. seeing well i dont have the patience to rearange everything, but i may just creat a whole new game, seeing that i actually know how to script now and i can do certain things that i couldnt in that rough game, but yea. ill keep everyone posted Smile

RE: Need testers! please :) - Anxt - 04-06-2011

Just finished it. Here are the things I noticed:

I know it is a rough copy, but there are many, many instances of flickering due to objects occupying the same space, and also places where the walls are not welded correctly so I can see through them.

For the gameplay, perhaps this is just because I have spent WAY too long working on my own custom story and playing others/watching others, but the events seemed fairly predictable to me. Again, it's probably just because I have done way too much with the game to really be scared by it anymore.

There are other things that don't really make sense, such as the staircases leading upstairs. Looking at them from the floor, they appear to lead nowhere, but there are level doors at the top, which just doesn't make much sense.

The arched door leading into the main hall doesn't fit the square frame, but there is an arched door frame you can use.

I hope this doesn't seem like I am insulting you or your work. That isn't what I'm trying to do, and if you take offense, I am sorry. I am simply trying to provide constructive feedback so you can make it better and learn from it.

(04-06-2011, 07:11 PM)Anxt Wrote: Just finished it. Here are the things I noticed:

I know it is a rough copy, but there are many, many instances of flickering due to objects occupying the same space, and also places where the walls are not welded correctly so I can see through them.

For the gameplay, perhaps this is just because I have spent WAY too long working on my own custom story and playing others/watching others, but the events seemed fairly predictable to me. Again, it's probably just because I have done way too much with the game to really be scared by it anymore.

There are other things that don't really make sense, such as the staircases leading upstairs. Looking at them from the floor, they appear to lead nowhere, but there are level doors at the top, which just doesn't make much sense.

The arched door leading into the main hall doesn't fit the square frame, but there is an arched door frame you can use.

I hope this doesn't seem like I am insulting you or your work. That isn't what I'm trying to do, and if you take offense, I am sorry. I am simply trying to provide constructive feedback so you can make it better and learn from it.

haha thanks for that, about the flicker walls and whatever, when i started making this, i didnt realize they would flicker but when i did, i didnt feel like changing it so they wouldnt flicker, the parts that the corners and such are welded together nice, i never knew there was an object that fixes corners so you can see through them but i knowe that now. the arched door, the only reason i have a swquare door frame was becasue for some reason an arch doorway made the door get stuck and not open. i realized the thing about the staircase leading to nowhere but after making it i decided to elave it due to lazyness, and yes about the whole monsters being predictable after spending some hours making this i am no longer really afraid to play amnesia beacsue of does seem rather ovbious when monsters come, so i understand that. but thanks for the suggestions and what i did wron,. when i make a new map i will be sure to make it alot better and perfected seeing i know how to do certain things that i didnt before. but anyways THANKS!

Just a quick tip concerning the door getting stuck in the arched frame: Sometimes doors get stuck because placing them in the level editor doesn't always fit them to the frame. For example, I believe it is the castle wood door that is placed too low in the map, so I always have to raise it a little bit for them to open. If you run into that problem, try turning off grid snap and increasing its y position by a little bit. It usually works for me Smile

(04-06-2011, 07:24 PM)Anxt Wrote: Just a quick tip concerning the door getting stuck in the arched frame: Sometimes doors get stuck because placing them in the level editor doesn't always fit them to the frame. For example, I believe it is the castle wood door that is placed too low in the map, so I always have to raise it a little bit for them to open. If you run into that problem, try turning off grid snap and increasing its y position by a little bit. It usually works for me Smile

thank you haha i never thought about doing that, but that is a great idea, ill keep that in mind

Glad to help Smile