Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Amnesia: Justine Discussion Topic - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Amnesia: Justine Discussion Topic (/thread-7561.html)

RE: Justine is too hard. - Googolplex - 03-23-2013

(03-22-2013, 11:00 PM)Kman Wrote: but googolplex i thought games being difficult was a good thing and unless it's a challenge it's a pointless game for casuals

right

Kman, that games should be seen as a challenge means not that monsters should be stronger, killing you at every position that you have to restart the full story. That is just frustrating and annoying and has less todo with immersion. When I say we should seen games as a challenge that means we wake up in an unfortunate situation and have to solve a mystery. The challenge is to understand "really hard" puzzles that will require a big brain (like in Silent Hill) and to survive the horror.
That means not that enemies should kill you all the time, because to get killed only breaks the immersion.

A challenge is not a dexterity to run away from monsters and restart the whole game when they catch you. And that also doesn't make the game scarier.

RE: Justine is too hard. - Tommyboypsp - 03-23-2013

I don't know if anyone has actually answered your question yet (they probably have), but no, the locked door does NOT trigger him to follow you. Only getting near the right door, and it will only make him follow you from a distance that is more than fair. I had enough time to look behind me and not even see him. The door is pretty close too, all you have to do is stop crouching and start running and the odds of you dying will become very slim.

The game(s) is/are made to make you feel pressured, but there's actually more time than you're tricked into thinking(like the water monster in TDD). I saved the last guy and then messed up opening the door, actually closing it again. I had enough time to open it again and I didn't die.

RE: Justine is too hard. - Parmida - 03-23-2013

GOT PAST THE POTATOES! YAY! but got mauled by Malo...now that I've passed it, it doesn't look too scary...oops! I feel so bad now. Blush

Gotta play it again to nail Malo and save that dude too...damn, potatoes..Undecided
Thank you all for helping me!

RE: Justine is too hard. - Kman - 03-23-2013

(03-23-2013, 01:51 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(03-22-2013, 11:00 PM)Kman Wrote: but googolplex i thought games being difficult was a good thing and unless it's a challenge it's a pointless game for casuals

right

Kman, that games should be seen as a challenge means not that monsters should be stronger, killing you at every position that you have to restart the full story. That is just frustrating and annoying and has less todo with immersion. When I say we should seen games as a challenge that means we wake up in an unfortunate situation and have to solve a mystery. The challenge is to understand "really hard" puzzles that will require a big brain (like in Silent Hill) and to survive the horror.
That means not that enemies should kill you all the time, because to get killed only breaks the immersion.

A challenge is not a dexterity to run away from monsters and restart the whole game when they catch you. And that also doesn't make the game scarier.

those two end in the exact same way tho

insanely hard monsters = dying over and over = raging = immersion broken
insanely hard puzzles = getting stuck not knowing what to do = raging = immersion broken

silly goose

RE: Justine is too hard. - PutraenusAlivius - 03-24-2013

I never rescue ANY hostages. I'm a bad person.

RE: Justine is too hard. - CorinthianMerchant - 03-24-2013

I managed to finish it with all prisoners saved.

CorinthianMerchant: 1
Googolplex: 0

RE: Justine is too hard. - Kman - 03-24-2013

Saving all of them isn't too hard tbh it only took me like 3 tries

RE: Justine is too hard. - felixmole - 03-24-2013

The last part with Malo is difficult the first time. The first time I got there, I tried to get the manacles off his hands; but it obviously was too late to attempt anything else when I'd understood I had to take care of the valve.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, I've come to understand that in terms of speed, Malo > Aloïs > Basile, this is probably why the potato room looks more dangerous than it actually is.

RE: Justine is too hard. - Googolplex - 03-24-2013

(03-23-2013, 11:32 PM)Kman Wrote: those two end in the exact same way tho

insanely hard monsters = dying over and over = raging = immersion broken
insanely hard puzzles = getting stuck not knowing what to do = raging = immersion broken

silly goose

No, hard puzzles will never kill the player.
But easy puzzles will kill the experience of finding something out.
You ever played Silent Hill? I'm sure you are not able to solve the puzzles without google.

(03-24-2013, 11:58 AM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote: CorinthianMerchant: 1
Googolplex: 0

OK, you won Justine.

RE: Justine is too hard. - Kman - 03-24-2013

Yes but that doesn't change the fact that the two have the exact same outcome, if the monsters are too hard then you die over and over and can't progress past a certain area and if there's a puzzle that's too hard you get stuck in the same place running around trying to figure out what to do and not being able to progress.

lmao I swear you just don't think any of the stuff you post out first do you