Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
I'm finding Black Plague somehow... Boring!! - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Penumbra: Overture, Black Plague & Requiem (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: I'm finding Black Plague somehow... Boring!! (/thread-8313.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

I'm finding Black Plague somehow... Boring!! - Goja - 05-29-2011

I'm serious... I've played 50%. I'm playing "horror" games since teenage, i'm fan of Silent Hill (not same thing) but Overture is not horror, it was torture terror to me... Yes, fights are hard, yes some things are annoying cause not well done. But this is kinda totally "realistic" if you imagine this was real! You would probably fight like shit too. So to me, removing the fights kinda ruins it...

I'm glad i didn't watch too many videos or forum before playing and didn't find the box trick! Also Overture take place in a Mine, such a great environnment... Black Plague is taking place in a complex, many room and offices (it seems)... Most common place in horror games! And running away might gives adrenaline, but that's all. And i didn't felt it much. Infected are quite slow and not scary... Or maybe i'm just bored cause things are too similar?

RE: I'm finding Black Plague somehow... Boring!! - Bek - 05-29-2011

Perhaps, I was really driven by the story in Overture / Black Plague. The puzzles, with the exception of one, were very good. It does have a very good atmosphere though, and being able to 'inspect' items and get text descriptions of them is actually a bloody good feature when you think about it, it allows details to be added to the scene easily.

RE: I'm finding Black Plague somehow... Boring!! - Goja - 05-29-2011

Of course, but that's not the question... Overture is so perfect to me, especially all the Music Theme... When i finished it, with such ending, i expected VERY MUCH from the following. Black Plague starts well, but after i just feel it's "just ok"...

Maybe i'll change my mind but i do not see a reason for that... Also i should mention, i'm with the people who find those "infected" (also called aliens by some peoples) rather... Ridiculous than scary! Undecided They're so slow and... I don't know, it's so easy to run away!

RE: I'm finding Black Plague somehow... Boring!! - Tanshaydar - 05-29-2011

Gameplay may not be suitable for your taste, that's normal. However, I strongly recommend you to finish the game just for its story. If you really loved Overture's ending, Black Plague's, especially Requiem's ending will strike you in heart.

RE: I'm finding Black Plague somehow... Boring!! - hollowleviathan - 05-29-2011

I managed to get pretty good at pickaxe combat, so Overture was frightening for me, then I grew acclimated and comfortable, just in time for Black Plague to take it away and force me to run. It worked well for me, unfortunate that it did not for you. It sounds like you're too far outside the game, analyzing it (looking at alleged commonality of location for horror games). If you can, try to think only inside the game and as Philip. Get from 'oh this is realistic' to 'oh, God. This is real!'.

Quote:C: Black Plague disappointed a little when it came to the puzzles. Except for the dream world puzzles, they were seldom interesting enough to make me WANT to do them.
From another topic... That's a thing i forgot. I found Overture puzzles great and here i just dont wanna find cause its annoying... I used help on wrb few times.. It's true im too outside the game. But as said, Overture was great, i felt like i was really into the mine!! I also made progress in combat technics.

But in BP, those infected are just pathetic and you can't rven smash their face, only run which is easy, they're slow... Even passing close to them, they dont hurt you, too slow! Or maybe Overture was so hard to handle that i voluntary didnt put myself in too much? Haha.. Still Overture is definity best.

Im reading more topics about that compare and see that people who disliked BP all seems to think same... It's after sewer, especially arriving in the so overture typed area with library door that i got BORED. As other said, i just don't feel like searching to resolve puzzle as im bored.

And also, as said too, those puzzles are crap compared to overture. I'll try play more but well.. Im very difficult with video games now as most are SHIT compared to "the gold erra" : 1995-2003 or something like that. Overture kept me, means its fucking amazing...

RE: I'm finding Black Plague somehow... Boring!! - Tanshaydar - 05-29-2011

I don't understand what are you expecting from Black Plague? Giving a crowbar to you and let yourself go Freeman on infected?
Okay, you can be bored. But your arguments are just not logical to me. If it's personal taste, then okay; if it's not, then you are expecting wrong things from Black Plague which it never offered to begin with.

RE: I'm finding Black Plague somehow... Boring!! - Googolplex - 05-29-2011

If a great story, great puzzles and real horror is nothing for you, then Penumbra is boring.
You should play FEAR or DOOM to find your fun.
Penumbra is not a game for fun, it's a game that immerse the player in a helpless person and experience a world of horror.

No other game has horror like Penumbra & Amnesia.
You should know that.

Black Plague is very scary, but I think you do not play it really.
It matters how you play it.

(05-29-2011, 06:38 PM)Googolplex Wrote: If a great story, great puzzles and real horror is nothing for you, then Penumbra is boring.
You should play FEAR or DOOM to find your fun.
Penumbra is not a game for fun, it's a game that immerse the player in a helpless person and experience a world of horror.

No other game has horror like Penumbra & Amnesia.
You should know that.
I guess you didn't read my previous post or you would've seen i qualified Penumbra as the best horror ever. I've played Amnesia 5 minutes i don't know i'll be able to really play it for long as i couldn't stand it...

Great story, great puzzles and real horror, Overture has all that, Black Plague doesn't, sorry. I just came and said what i think, cause i always read people saying BP was better BUT NOW i read more people here and see many think just like me. That's it!

As said, i'll try to continue BP but i know it won't do for me. I somehow saw some of the things that will happen later (in video) and it's too much sci-fi (the genre i hate) look alike. Maybe those infected "alien style" are the biggest problem to me then. Anyway i made a break and installed Tech Demo but it crashes all the time when i pause. Weird.