Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
A few problems with the HPL level Editor - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: A few problems with the HPL level Editor (/thread-8482.html)

A few problems with the HPL level Editor - Sneezembop - 06-07-2011

I'm working on a 5 level custom story for Amnesia, and I've had a few technical difficulties with the level editor that are slowing me down.

first, there are a handful of folders and entities/static_objects that always crash the level editor when i try and put them in the game or even select the folder they're in. these include the mansion base ceiling tiles, human bone pile 1 and 2, and the castlebase wooden floor.

second, I'm trying to use a waterlurker to deter players from visiting an area before another, i have a large circular room with a staircase descending into the water where the waterlurker is. only trouble is, the waterlurker will go through the walls of the room and even come up out of the water via the stairs.

third, I have an area where the player hops along an exterior ledge to get to a blocked off room. like in the Archives. and I want to have it raining outside. the trouble is that the rain particle system is designed that either it's raining everywhere or it's raining nowhere. I'm just trying to make it look like it's raining outside the windows and on the ledge.

if anyone has encountered and overcome any of these problems, I would be exceedingly grateful for your advice. Thank you.

RE: A few problems with the HPL level Editor - palistov - 06-07-2011

I'm not sure what could be crashing your level editor when you open the entities/static_objects folders. Perhaps there are custom models you downloaded/created which are causing issues.

As for the second, make sure you turn OFF Fast Physics load in your debug menu. That's the only thing I know of that allows you to walk through walls and stuff, so perhaps that's how Mr. Water lurker is doing it. If that doesn't work, create block boxes along the walls of your room; that should do the trick.

Third, you could use ps_multiple water_drop_single.ps particles to create a rain effect. The problem is that if you place them in the editor they will all start at the same time and it will look very unrealistic to have 50 drops of rain fall at the same time. To counter this, you have to script it.

Create around 15-20 script areas placed randomly above each window and call them rain_1, rain_2, etc. If you have 3 windows you should have around 60 areas.

Then, in your OnEnter(), not your OnStart() add these functions

PreloadParticleSystem("ps_water_drop_single.ps");
for(int x=1;x<=60;x++) AddTimer("rain_"+x, RandFloat(0.01, 3.5) , "FuncRain");
//change 60 to the total amount of rain_* areas you have.

Then create the FuncRain function

void FuncRain(string &in asTimer)
{
CreateParticleSystemAtEntity("", "ps_water_drop_single.ps", asTimer, false);
}

This will spawn water drops at all of your rain_* areas randomly once the player enters. You can tweak the timer values to your liking. Hopefully it'll produce a realistic looking rain effect.

RE: A few problems with the HPL level Editor - jens - 06-07-2011

Try deleting the Temp and Thumbnails folders in My Documents/HPL2/ to see if that fixes the crashing issue.

RE: A few problems with the HPL level Editor - Sneezembop - 06-07-2011

jens, thanks for the tip. that worked perfectly!

palistov, that's an interesting way to simulate the rain. only thing is, i've got over a dozen windows to do : (. there's got to be a way to make the rain particle system work better.

RE: A few problems with the HPL level Editor - palistov - 06-07-2011

Unfortunately that's the only thing I can think of. Maybe try customizing the rain particle system. There's probably some option to limit its size.

RE: A few problems with the HPL level Editor - SLAMnesia - 06-08-2011

Hey I was creepin around and I have the same crashing problem with the "human bone pile 2". I tried deleting the Temp and Thumbnails folders but it didnt work :\ still crashes