Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Help bethesda :) - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Help bethesda :) (/thread-959.html)

Pages: 1 2

Help bethesda :) - banj007 - 04-29-2007

You guys really need to help the poor people at bethesda get their act together. I played oblivion the other day and i realized i can play penumbra on the highest detail settings with grainy filter and some effects enabled, but oblivion looks like total crap (cause i have to set it to "very low" and it still runs really bad) and has no immersion compared to penumbra. I can't play oblivion anymore without thinking "boy this is not near as fun as penumbra"

RE: Help bethesda :) - WindexGlow - 04-29-2007

There are many different things that go in the background of games. How open are the areas in oblivion compared to penumbra? The maps are likely larger, how many enemies? Likely more, and they react different. The terrain likely differences, compared to the often faily flat penumbra maps.
There are many other different things, but I have no clue what oblivion is, so I don't know what can go on.

Btw, I guess someone stole his account back, the kid with worse grammar and spelling than me is gone, replaced with some kid who types normally.

RE: Help bethesda :) - banj007 - 04-29-2007

i know there are many differences in terrain, enemies, etc. BUT i shouldn't have to run it on "very low" and it *still* runs like crap... It made me think my graphics card was shitty. Then i could play penumbra on the highest detail settings.

RE: Help bethesda :) - Willbreaker - 04-30-2007

Funny, I am the first one to vote Oblivion.
I have to explain then. I think Oblivion is a better game, but with a worse story and with less feeling. Everything else is better in Oblivion, like graphics, physics and total volume. There's more of everything in Oblivion.

Still, Penumbra is a good game.

/Breaker

RE: Help bethesda :) - Dark - 04-30-2007

well oblivion (morrowind to) just have a crap engine (or they made it crap)
to heavy on most computers)
you cant compare oblivion and penumbra imo, to verry different genres
afaik the things they have in common are first person and melee combat and thats it Smile

RE: Help bethesda :) - banj007 - 05-01-2007

Willbreaker Wrote:Funny, I am the first one to vote Oblivion.
I have to explain then. I think Oblivion is a better game, but with a worse story and with less feeling. Everything else is better in Oblivion, like graphics, physics and total volume. There's more of everything in Oblivion.

Still, Penumbra is a good game.

/Breaker

if you think it has less feeling why did you vote it has better immersion?

RE: Help bethesda :) - cdoublejj - 07-11-2007

i think bethseda can kiss my skinny white a*s they'v defiled the FALLOUT name plus they suck

RE: Help bethesda :) - djc23 - 08-14-2007

cdoublejj Wrote:i think bethseda can kiss my skinny white a*s they'v defiled the FALLOUT name plus they suck
Actually it looks like bethesda is doing alright by the Fallout name so far. Still my hopes aren't that high.
Anyway on topic, Penumbra all the way! I would rank it along side classics like System Shock 1 & 2, Thief etc for immersion. Although I've only got about 1/3 the way through cos some mouse lag problem!

RE: Help bethesda :) - Dark - 08-14-2007

cdoublejj Wrote:i think bethseda can kiss my skinny white a*s they'v defiled the FALLOUT name plus they suck

how do you know fallout will suck? the only thing that is released is a teaser trailer Confused
bethesda doesent scuk
oblivion is one of my favourite rpg
they should just lose the gamebryo engine and get a better one Smile

RE: Help bethesda :) - madFive - 10-10-2007

It's pretty hard to compare these two games, as one is a puzzle-solving horror/suspense game that takes under 8 hours to play, and one is an rpg that can easily take over 80.

I voted for penumbra shearly on an immersiveness level, because it has much more of a real-life feeling: getting trapped in a mine in greenland and having to find your way out again while being haunted by weird people and creepy animals is much more likely than saving a doomed fantasy realm by using magic spells and enchanted weapons to quell dragons and faeries. (hehe - longest sentence ever)

That being said, oblivion is a huge game with an obviously enormous budget, and it's loads of fun to play. And since you'll have 80+ hours to get the hang of it, it's a pretty safe bet that you'll be feeling pretty immersed by the time you're done! Smile