Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

(01-31-2013, 01:11 PM)Hardarm Wrote:
(01-31-2013, 12:56 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: 2 Screenshots from a CS that i've made. Any good?
[Image: rc7tl1.jpg]
[Image: 1zgwzfm.jpg]

First, it looks a bit empty. Also lighting-wise. Try adding some shelves and decals! More decorations! Smile
Also about lighting, try adding a soft boxlight to the room and some point lights that match the lamps, you'll make it more realistic!

Second: Put WELDERS at the default wall gaps! You see the textures of the walls of cellarbase don't match. You have to put a wall welder between them and it'll look nicer!
Some of those boxes in screenshot 1 are destroyable and contain Thalers!
and Screenshot 2 was already improved. I forgot to take a pic and reupload.Sad

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2013, 01:20 PM by PutraenusAlivius.)
01-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39

Quote:Some of those boxes in screenshot 1 are destroyable and contain Thalers!
and Screenshot 2 was already improved. I forgot to take a pic and reupload.Sad

Thalers are completely useless in Amnesia by now, the Chest .ent is still available but we need somebody to reimplement the original feature. So yeah, thalers are useless. And the destroyable boxes does not concern the quality of the screenshot at all Tongue

I've noticed that your torches are also randomly put in the wall, try to have some geometry that makes sense the next time! Smile

listen to boards of canada
01-31-2013, 01:24 PM
Website Find
No Author Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

(01-31-2013, 12:56 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: 2 Screenshots from a CS that i've made. Any good?

You should put some welder between every wall to make it look better.
Like this :
[Image: 7PSH8j8.jpg]

[Image: the-cabin-in-the-woods-masked-people.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2013, 02:38 PM by No Author.)
01-31-2013, 02:38 PM
Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39

(01-31-2013, 02:38 PM)No Author Wrote: blabla

No Author, in your image the decal is bugged o.o

listen to boards of canada
02-01-2013, 02:12 AM
Website Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

Spoiler below!

First off, both of them are really really dark in the corners and around the point lights. With the brightness of the pointlights you've inserted, I would try putting in a box light with around 50% of the value of the pointlights. Light bounces off of walls and floors (even more so off of light coloured objects), so your whole room will be lit no matter how small the light is but the brightness of the room will be dependent on the brightness and location of the light. Just click these links for examples (each word is a link).

Also, the walls look really clean for such a dark and dirty place. Try adding some decals to them for interest and atmosphere (although decals can be rather iffy when they don't want to be placed on things). And either decrease the size of the rooms or add more stuff so they don't look extremely vast and empty (unless that was what you were going for with them).

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2013, 03:13 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
02-01-2013, 03:07 AM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Kiandra, I don't know who you are, but I like your style.

I have one more recommendation for our dear friend: use welders. If you notice, there is a slight seam between walls in the cellarbase set. This is due to poor planning on Frictional's part. If you use the cellarbase wall welders, it'll seem so much more natural, as well as supplying a structural support.

Another good way to make light look more natural is to have one large pointlight in the center of the room with a very low intensity and a large enough radius to reach the edges of the room, so it simulates bounce lighting.

[Image: signature-2.png]
02-01-2013, 03:49 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

(02-01-2013, 03:49 AM)Streetboat Wrote: Kiandra, I don't know who you are, but I like your style.

I am no one of consequence Tongue

and, thank you, I suppose? You seem pretty swell too, good sir Big Grin

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2013, 04:47 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
02-01-2013, 04:46 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(02-01-2013, 03:49 AM)Streetboat Wrote: Kiandra, I don't know who you are, but I like your style.

I have one more recommendation for our dear friend: use welders. If you notice, there is a slight seam between walls in the cellarbase set. This is due to poor planning on Frictional's part. If you use the cellarbase wall welders, it'll seem so much more natural, as well as supplying a structural support.

Another good way to make light look more natural is to have one large pointlight in the center of the room with a very low intensity and a large enough radius to reach the edges of the room, so it simulates bounce lighting.
I will take your advice and just to clear things up;
Intensity is the [A] in Diffuse Color, right?
And why it's very hard to push the doors?!
EDIT: [Image: 6jhrmc.jpg] Good?

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2013, 05:39 AM by PutraenusAlivius.)
02-01-2013, 04:58 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(02-01-2013, 04:58 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: [Image: 6jhrmc.jpg]

Could still use a little work on the small stuff:

-welders need to go in between every 2 walls in the cellar base set. there will be a real nasty seam between the walls otherwise.
-your coloring for the lights looks good. the pitch-black corners.. eh, not so much. use a box light with very dark (low #) values, like (0.05, 0.035, 0.02, 1). It will help blend the colors together better and get rid of those unusually dark corners.
-the wall with those boards on it (right hand side of the screen) doesn't really fit with the default walls. either use the different types of boarded up walls, or just the defaults+its variants.
-finally, the tiling on the floor seems really small. select the plane, go to the tiling tab (tab on the far right, can't remember it's name exactly) and set the x and z values to decimals lower than 1. Numbers like 0.25 to 0.5 are a great value for the wood floors.

oh, and there's an easy trick to get doors to work with almost any doorway (almost). Make sure snap to coordinate grid is toggled on, line up the door with the doorway, then add 0.1 to the y position value. (e.g. if the door was at a y position of 4, make it 4.1).

Also, you should set alpha to 0 in most cases for lighting. it improves performance and makes very little difference in game.

I rate it 3 memes.
02-01-2013, 05:50 AM
Find
No Author Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

(02-01-2013, 02:12 AM)Hardarm Wrote:
(01-31-2013, 02:38 PM)No Author Wrote: blabla

No Author, in your image the decal is bugged o.o

I didn't make the map. FG made it. I took this photo in the wine cellar.
So FG is responsable for that.

[Image: the-cabin-in-the-woods-masked-people.jpg]
02-01-2013, 06:03 AM
Find