Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
No Author Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

(03-06-2013, 02:31 PM)DeAngelo Wrote: OK, I replaced the light dust with the falling dust (couldn't tell if you were telling me to replace it or use both), there is no "curtain" object so I assume you mean those banners. I tossed those up there. And as for the spotlight, cast shadows is already turned on.

Forgot to tell you this. You need 1 light dust in front of the window. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, open the MainHall.map to see the particle system.

[Image: the-cabin-in-the-woods-masked-people.jpg]
03-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26

I'm gonna take a break for now. Gotta get to work. I put 1 light dust particle up by the window. To JustAnotherPlayer, I can understand wind blowing in dust, but dirt? This is a room in a mansion. Where is this dirt coming from? Then again I guess those old mansions back then probably did have a lot of dirt hanging around. However as I left the candle lit, that shows this happened very recently, so I don't think there'd be time for a whole dirt pile to form. I will set up some dust blowing into the room though. Maybe have that one particle system of papers blowing coming from the desk activate when you first walk in.

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
03-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

Change up the blood on the floor, right now they are the exact same size and stuff. Change a couple of 180 degrees (So it still turns.) and add some more blood decals or add some gapse.
03-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(03-06-2013, 02:48 PM)DeAngelo Wrote: I'm gonna take a break for now. Gotta get to work. I put 1 light dust particle up by the window. To JustAnotherPlayer, I can understand wind blowing in dust, but dirt? This is a room in a mansion. Where is this dirt coming from? Then again I guess those old mansions back then probably did have a lot of dirt hanging around. However as I left the candle lit, that shows this happened very recently, so I don't think there'd be time for a whole dirt pile to form. I will set up some dust blowing into the room though. Maybe have that one particle system of papers blowing coming from the desk activate when you first walk in.
I like the lighting in that room. Something feels off with the billboard IMO. I would suggest that you create a smaller, brighter with a lighter blue color pointlight right by the window. Then create a billboard "bb_white_halo" (something like that) which you lay on top of the window to create a "fake bloom". Possibly widen the base of the billboard coming from the winow - as it is now it's sort of coming from the planks in the middle of the window.

I also noticed that the books in the shelf are identical on each row (or some sort of duplication?). :] I'd suggest that you move each "set of books" a little, just to create some randomness. You could also delete a few on each shelf in order to create some variety.

It feels a little barren now, but I'm guessing you're going to add more things to it. Good work on the lighting though!

You can consider the above "personal preference" - how you decide to execute it is up to you!

good luck!

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-06-2013, 03:33 PM by Acies.)
03-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

@ Deangelo

To elaborate on Rapture's point about the decals, set the subdivision to 2x - you should use that option for any decal that presents itself as 4 individual decals stuck together, much like the blood smear you're using.

I rate it 3 memes.
03-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

From a "secret" project i'm working on. And no, you cannot found out what it is. Anyway, here is my screenshot.
Spoiler below!

[Image: dzjdxg.jpg]

Spoiler below!

[Image: NTzqLAH.jpg]

Yes, i know that it is too bright. Even if i put a black boxlight or two, it's still too bright.

OFF-TOPIC:
@Acies
Can you make a beach or something? Kinda like the terrain that you make on the random things thread, but looked beachy and have sand. I'm just asking.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2013, 03:48 PM by PutraenusAlivius.)
03-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

Black boxlights do nothing... that I'm aware of.

Aside from being to bright, their are a lot of lighting issues with the second picture, look at the tops and ends of the columns.
03-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(03-06-2013, 03:51 PM)Rapture Wrote: Black boxlights do nothing... that I'm aware of.

Aside from being to bright, their are a lot of lighting issues with the second picture, look at the tops and ends of the columns.
HOLY SHI- IT'S UPSIDE DOWN THE WHOLE TIME?! Seriously, any advices on how to tone it down a bit?

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Uh, yeah, delete a bunch of those billboards or lower their intensity by half, at least.

[Image: signature-2.png]
03-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

(03-06-2013, 03:55 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:
(03-06-2013, 03:51 PM)Rapture Wrote: Black boxlights do nothing... that I'm aware of.

HOLY SHI- IT'S UPSIDE DOWN THE WHOLE TIME?! Seriously, any advices on how to tone it down a bit?

Fewer point lights might help. Can I see a screenshot of the map in the level editor? That might help with determining why it's so bright.

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
03-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Find