Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

(05-27-2013, 07:34 PM)Adny Wrote: @ Smoke, I'll take a stab at it:

-First, the billboards are too bright, and seemingly uncolored in general (as if all the values are 1/1/1/1). I tend to use very low color values (below 0.075 at least), and just use a lot of billboards. It makes it seem less like "oh hey, there are a bunch of 2d textures in front of that window" and more like actual light rays; amorphous.

-When coloring lights against that type of floor, they have to be a bit more.. "exaggerated" or else the blue light from the window will appear very white like in your screenie.

-I'd suggest toning down the overall brightness of the area (i.e. the boxlight value and overall number of lights sources). If everything's that bright it just kinda... blurs together. You have an opportunity for some good contrast by having the blue window and the yellow candles in the same room though.

For other things not concerning lighting:

Needs oodles of detail. A table and chairs is a good start, but it could be so much more. There are countless entities to choose from to liven up your rooms and make them less like boxes with a few things thrown in, and more like a real room. Books, bookshelves, plants, curtains, pictures, clocks, and plates just to name a few. There's no real systematic way of doing it, just figure out the purpose of the room, and cater the detailing towards it.

Alright, thanks alot! I've never been good at lighting a room, so if someone has a good tutorial, I'd appreciate it alot.

And I'm still decorating, I already said, just look at the lighting of the window Smile

Edit: And when you use all those billboards, do you put them on axis or fixedaxis?
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2013, 07:44 PM by OriginalUsername.)
05-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

(05-27-2013, 07:36 PM)Smoke Wrote: Edit: And when you use all those billboards, do you put them on axis or fixedaxis?

I personally use FixedAxis for the borders, and Axis ones for the center.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
05-27-2013, 07:51 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Thanks guys, I'll finish the room + lighting and then post another screenshots. You guys are great!
05-27-2013, 07:58 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

(05-27-2013, 07:58 PM)Smoke Wrote: Thanks guys, I'll finish the room + lighting and then post another screenshots. You guys are great!

[Image: 919px-Happy-oh-stop-it-you-l.png]

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
05-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

(05-27-2013, 01:39 PM)Kullin Wrote: Okey, but i have a box light, and wont it look weird when I walkout of the room?'
Short answer: Yes
Long answer: It will look weird if your boxlight only covers the one room. This is why you make a single boxlight that covers the entire map. Be careful when you're choosing the colour, it should be something other than grey (in most cases) but it should reflect the colouring of the most common light (or brightest). In your case, I'm assuming that light is the window, so you'll want to use a boxlight that's a very dimmed-down version of your window's light. Try maybe 25-33% (1/4 or 1/3) of the brightness of your spotlight.

(05-27-2013, 03:55 PM)Robosprog Wrote: FOR FUCKS SAKE. :3
<image>
That any better?

Your screenshots are beautiful. Maybe try adding some ropes or chains hanging from the beams (if appropriate for the setting) or some water-drip particles and puddles since the floor looks pretty wet.

Edit: I swear I'll make a pretty screenshot for this thread soon D:

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2013, 08:21 PM by CarnivorousJelly.)
05-27-2013, 08:20 PM
Find
Kullin Offline

Threads: 23

(05-27-2013, 08:20 PM)Kiandra Wrote:
(05-27-2013, 01:39 PM)Kullin Wrote: Okey, but i have a box light, and wont it look weird when I walkout of the room?'
Short answer: Yes
Long answer: It will look weird if your boxlight only covers the one room. This is why you make a single boxlight that covers the entire map. Be careful when you're choosing the colour, it should be something other than grey (in most cases) but it should reflect the colouring of the most common light (or brightest). In your case, I'm assuming that light is the window, so you'll want to use a boxlight that's a very dimmed-down version of your window's light. Try maybe 25-33% (1/4 or 1/3) of the brightness of your spotlight.

Ah okey thank you!
05-27-2013, 08:37 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(05-27-2013, 07:15 PM)Smoke Wrote: Well in that case:

Sorry, I haven't received criticism of my screenshot yet, here's another time just in case you missed it!

Spoiler below!
[Image: 62n6iS6.jpg]

Please focus on the lighting, and tell me what to do better!

Yes. More blue. Or change the tone of the billboards. What you can see is that the window emits the most light, and therefore it gives the most color to the room. The candles only have their color, where they are, in the corner.

Why isn't there curtains on the window? If this was a normal house it'd have curtains, I'm pretty sure about that.

How about a carpet? That'd be nice.

A plant is nearly a must! The walls are red, and the window is blue. We need something that is green to fulfill our color-abstinences. You could place it on the table.

EDIT: Oh... I see I'm a little late about that screenshot... sorry... Um, yea, hope it's ok.

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2013, 10:21 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
05-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Find
Zokrar Offline

Threads: 16

What do y'all think of this?

[Image: fTuGEMl.jpg]

05-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

The railing doesn't fit with the stair texture, there's no welder in between, the model is just over-stretched. And I'm not sure if you want the sky black or what, but you should add a skybox.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
05-28-2013, 02:27 AM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

(05-27-2013, 10:20 PM)BeeKayK Wrote: Yes. More blue. Or change the tone of the billboards. What you can see is that the window emits the most light, and therefore it gives the most color to the room. The candles only have their color, where they are, in the corner.

Why isn't there curtains on the window? If this was a normal house it'd have curtains, I'm pretty sure about that.

How about a carpet? That'd be nice.

A plant is nearly a must! The walls are red, and the window is blue. We need something that is green to fulfill our color-abstinences. You could place it on the table.

EDIT: Oh... I see I'm a little late about that screenshot... sorry... Um, yea, hope it's ok.

Alright, thanks! But how do I let the color of the window appear in the room? Add a blue pointlight in the center of the room?
05-28-2013, 06:42 AM
Find