Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

@lazz3r

(1) You have a upside down gobo (window) I believe.

(1a) You need another Spotlight with a faint grey/blueish tint at the window aiming inwards. Their needs to be shadows cast from the desk/chair.

(1b) Also include a faint grey/blueish PointLight above the chair (Move it around accordingly, and size.) because it's to dark in the room.
06-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

(06-02-2013, 03:19 PM)Rapture Wrote: @lazz3r

(1) You have a upside down gobo (window) I believe.

(1a) You need another Spotlight with a faint grey/blueish tint at the window aiming inwards. Their needs to be shadows cast from the desk/chair.

(1b) Also include a faint grey/blueish PointLight above the chair (Move it around accordingly, and size.) because it's to dark in the room.

Yep, just noticed that the lighting sucks. I'm gonna fix this Wink
Also, thanks for reply!
06-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

(06-02-2013, 08:43 AM)lazz3r Wrote: What do you guys think about this one?
<image>
It's from my uncoming custom story.

Try turning "shadows" on for the spotlight you currently have

The colour needs to be a bit more yellow, it doesn't suit the exterior light, which is really really yellow, kind of like an incandescent bulb. So you could make the exterior lighting a bit more blue or the spotlight a bit more yellow.

The rest of the room is really really dark, so I can't see what else is there or what to actually comment on, using a dim pointlight around the window and (possibly) a brighter boxlight would help with that and it would be more realistic because light radiates out from windows and will bounce off the rest of the walls (like this).

Other than that, the room could be more detailed (but I'm a detail-obsessed crazy person, so don't mind me)

And don't say your lighting sucks, it's better than a lot of other people's lighting. At least all the lights aren't white :D

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2013, 08:17 PM by CarnivorousJelly.)
06-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

kind of off topic but this is a really great tool for lighting maps if you're trying to come up with a good color scheme to make an area more interesting: http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Posting Freak
06-03-2013, 03:05 AM
Website Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

That's great!

Trying is the first step to success.
06-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Find
ExpectedIdentifier Offline

Threads: 10

[Image: Screen_01.jpg]

Unfinished (more tree/grass/scenery to come). New trees and grass from last time to reduce load times (gone from about 1 minute to 10 seconds) but I would like an opinion on the new grass (I hate using planes for grass but it's pretty much the only choice as 3d grass causes serious performance problems). Also the light doesn't look great, never really done outdoor environments in the day time with HPL2! Any advice?

Thanks
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2013, 04:48 PM by ExpectedIdentifier.)
06-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(06-03-2013, 04:46 PM)sonataarctica Wrote: [Image: Screen_01.jpg]

Unfinished (more tree/grass/scenery to come). New trees and grass from last time to reduce load times (gone from about 1 minute to 10 seconds) but I would like an opinion on the new grass (I hate using planes for grass but it's pretty much the only choice as 3d grass causes serious performance problems). Also the light doesn't look great, never really done outdoor environments in the day time with HPL2! Any advice?

Thanks

I cannot tell if it's night or day. You need to do something here.

If it's day, the shadows are too clear! The map must be well lit up, also the shadows.

If it's night the map must be darker. Much darker. The enviroment looks fine, but a bit empty. Can the player wander around everywhere? Or will trees actually be blocking him?

I don't like that the grass looks paperthin, but I don't think you can change that...

Trying is the first step to success.
06-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(06-03-2013, 04:46 PM)sonataarctica Wrote: [Image: Screen_01.jpg]

Thanks
Is it just the shadows or are you using flat shading on the ground!?
06-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

@sonataarctica

Spoiler below!
[Image: criticismoutside.png]

Red Outline - If you can brush/smudge the dirt and grass so the edge isn't so defined.

Orange Outline - Looks like their is just a flat plane for the ground where the player walks, a little bit more geometry won't hurt here. Just add 2-3 edge loops along the dirt so it digs more into the ground. (The way the texture is angled, looks more like a muddy water stream.)

Teal Outline - Add some tree roots, nothing detailed. 20-30 faces per root, I hate seeing trees dig themselves into the ground like that. Tongue

Your trees could use their texture less stretched, so the texture is smaller. Personally I would go with a bark texture, and use the current texture to show parts exposed if I wanted to go through that work.

I've made a couple of trees with some detailed normal maps applied, but they didn't show up that well. But it can help a bit for yours I think, and a AO map also.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2013, 11:55 PM by Rapture.)
06-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Find
ExpectedIdentifier Offline

Threads: 10

(06-03-2013, 10:14 PM)BeeKayK Wrote: I cannot tell if it's night or day. You need to do something here.

If it's day, the shadows are too clear! The map must be well lit up, also the shadows.

If it's night the map must be darker. Much darker. The enviroment looks fine, but a bit empty. Can the player wander around everywhere? Or will trees actually be blocking him?

I don't like that the grass looks paperthin, but I don't think you can change that...

It's supposed to be day time Tongue however in a dense woods not much light would get through lots of tall trees. But I'd agree lighting still isn't great. It's actually harder than I expected to get day time lighting looking good. And yeah I know it's empty Tongue I'm hoping to entirely fill the map with bushes, grass and other plant-y things. The grass will get thicker the further back it goes. And nope, the player can't walk everywhere, infact they can't walk at all, this is the "intro" map, where the player will be controlled by script and there will be a voice over. This is a university final year project so I have a year to do it meaning it's going to be very detailed and hopefully high quality Tongue

@Rapture

Thanks for the tips! Neither the mud or grass area are flat planes Big Grin However my modelling skills are pretty bad meaning I don't actually know how to creating a piece of terrain that has 2 tile-able textures that fade into each other in 3DS Max lol.

As for the tree roots, I think I will just surround trees with grass so that that isn't an issue, an easier solution for me really.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2013, 12:36 AM by ExpectedIdentifier.)
06-04-2013, 12:19 AM
Find