Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
JawlessWarrior Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

(07-11-2013, 04:27 PM)The chaser Wrote: Here's a pic of my outdoors map:

Spoiler below!
[Image: ajE0kl6.jpg]

I selected my landscape model so you guys saw it. I have put the trees manually, with the Grid Height tool that the level editor offers.

And a few more in-game screenshots:

Spoiler below!
[Image: nJuoKVX.png]

[Image: WnLseTv.png]

[Image: 9ex7psr.png]

Is there something that could be improved? I'm sure there is but I don't know what could it be...

Looks nice, especially for an outdoor map. Seems a little weird though that theres so many trees but no grass. Its just all dirt. I think the ground and also the size of the trees could use a bit more variation. Can't see anything else in there that seems off.

"Splinters of a life rushing by in the whirl - a lone, silent warrior in a fantasy world." - In Flames
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2013, 06:40 PM by JawlessWarrior.)
07-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Find
ClayPigeon Offline

Threads: 13

Spoiler below!

I selected my landscape model so you guys saw it. I have put the trees manually, with the Grid Height tool that the level editor offers.

Spoiler below!

Is there something that could be improved? I'm sure there is but I don't know what could it be...

It looks too repetitive and empty...
There's just dirt, 1 model of a tree and 1 model of a rock used.
Try removing some of the rocks and placing them in the distance with ridiculous scales, making them look like mountains.
Also use some more tree models, there are some here on the forums, by traggey I think.
Also, add some grass, bushes, and rocks on the actual terrain.
07-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Also, scale the tree models in different scales! variety!!!

Trying is the first step to success.
07-11-2013, 10:52 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Spoiler below!

Spoiler below!

Try to mix in some big faint pointlights in the openings to make the lighting a little more varied, the boxlight looks like it could need some more darkness and color(faint dark-blue to match the night-sky)

Also overall needs more detail, even if its a big map this is just way too empy.
Try stuff like: Rocks, Dirt moulder or what its called from dungeonbase,Grass and foliage, and maybe some decals.

If you get problems with performance I can send you a simple tree background model I have which can greatly decrease the amount of trees you need in the background and therefore improve performance.
07-11-2013, 11:50 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Hoooly s**t, guys, many thanks for all your criticism! Sincerely, I didn't expect that much Smile

Adding all da' stuff an' shit.

@Robosprog
You made me laugh with the "and then copy paste that shit everywhere" or the "because seriously, wadda fuck, trees do not grow like that".

Goddamn it, you gave me an idea... prepare for an updated thread in development resources...

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
07-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Find
phatdoggi Offline

Threads: 4

Here's a little something I started working on. No billboards because I want a "stormy atmosphere". Lmk if it needs improvements
[Image: QAIdhem.jpg]

"Just drink it. How bad could it be?"
Madness - http://www.moddb.com/mods/phatdoggi-madness
07-13-2013, 05:28 AM
Find
Artyom Offline

Threads: 27

Looks alright, maybe you should add a lightning effect so it sets the stormy mood even better.
It's not too hard to script so you should give it a shot! Smile

- Inactive account -
07-13-2013, 05:33 AM
Find
phatdoggi Offline

Threads: 4

(07-13-2013, 05:33 AM)Zandrojakov Wrote: It's not too hard to script so you should give it a shot! Smile

Ohh you have no idea - scripting fiend right here...

"Just drink it. How bad could it be?"
Madness - http://www.moddb.com/mods/phatdoggi-madness
07-13-2013, 05:38 AM
Find
Artyom Offline

Threads: 27

Well I'm no scripting master, but there's alot of talented people on this forum who could help you out (not to mention the wiki)

Spoiler below!

Depending on if you want the lightning effect to be timed or triggered you either use

void AddTimer(string& asName, float afTime, string& asFunction);

Or

void AddEntityCollideCallback(string& asParentName, string& asChildName, string& asFunction, bool abDeleteOnCollide, int alStates);

There's probably a shit ton of errors in here but hey atleast it may give you an idea how to do it Smile
Also I named one of the lights _amb. This is because There should be a boxlight or a pointlight lighting up the room a bit. Also don't forget to add flickering to the lights.

void Lightning()
{
       SetLightVisible("light_name", true);    
       SetLightVisible("light_name_amb", true);
       void PlaySoundAtEntity("", "soundeffect_snt", "window", 0 , true);

AddTimer("", RandFloat(0.5,1.5), "Light_reset");
}

void Light_reset()
{
      SetLightVisible("light_name", false);    
      SetLightVisible("light_name_amb", false);
}

void LightningTimer()
{
         Lightning();
          AddTimer ( "", RandFloat(5,15), "LightningTimer" );
}
Hope this gave you an idea of how to do it. Smile

(I can't test the code myself so this was just something I came up with in my head)

- Inactive account -
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2013, 06:19 AM by Artyom.)
07-13-2013, 06:16 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

I believe there's a lightning tutorial floating around here somewhere. Anyways, =thunder#the_switch-statement1]here's the link on the wiki.

They also used a lightning script in the first map of ATDD, 00_rainy_hall is what I think it's called. Open it up in notepad++ or geany or whatever it is you have :p And don't be afraid to ask questions! Just check the forum to make sure it hasn't been asked (and answered) a bajillion times before ;D

(I'll update this post if I find the lightning tutorial before I pass out from sleep deprivation).

OH! Phatdoggi, your screenshot needs a boxlight. Seriously. Just one boxlight per map will be sufficient, make it something other than pure white (I'd recommend something around... R:0.118, G:0.146, B:0.156 for dark and stormy; play around with the colours and find something you like though). Lemme know if you need an explanation on how to change light colour. Also, what's with that pattern on the lower portion of the picture? Is there water?

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2013, 07:40 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
07-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Find