Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

(08-07-2013, 12:06 PM)Rapture Wrote: @Kianda - You said you put down shrubs, but I will just repeat it again anyways. I would take bushes and spread them around, in patterns... (Make them at the same height of the grass or taller for some of the bushes.)

Variation 1: Place one shrub (Size 0.9), next start putting down slightly smaller shrubs along one size so it takes the appearance of a decaying wall. Make sure you rotate each one slightly to keep it natural looking.

Variation 2: Place a larger shrub (Size 1.75) and start placing shrubs around in a circular pattern (2nd row), repeat again for a 3rd row.

Bind the shrubs together, and use the Variation 1 around walls and trees, while Variation 2 for in the middle of grass fields...

And rotate/scale these so it doesn't look to obviously copy-pasted.
That worked like a charm! Thank you c:

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2013, 11:31 PM by CarnivorousJelly.)
08-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Threads: 20

Another map, the other side of this shack I posted

http://postimg.org/image/s6tc966ir/full/
08-12-2013, 01:42 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

adding more particles to that could really help a lot i think since right now the air seems very sterile and isn't very interesting, just a few fog particles in the air or on the ground or some light dust under that lamp could really add a lot to it

the lighting could also use some work since it's almost impossible to see anything that's not directly illuminated by the lamp and ideally you should be able to make out some of the details in the forest (light from the lamp would spread and moonlight and such)

other than that everything looks great. oh also you should probably upload to imgur instead because then you can just imbed the picture here so people don't have to click a link to some other site to view

Posting Freak
08-12-2013, 02:47 AM
Website Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(08-12-2013, 01:42 AM)JonnyAnomaly Wrote: Another map, the other side of this shack I posted

http://postimg.org/image/s6tc966ir/full/
its seems like the type of shack that is put together by some improvised pieces found here and there, and yet they're all that bulky white piece. Maybe add some more variation, even just something as simple as changing the color on some of them can have a huge impact I believe.
08-12-2013, 06:09 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(08-05-2013, 05:30 PM)JonnyAnomaly Wrote: I just did some testing - I made a 4 tri object in Maya, and a 256 tri object, made a new map with just a plane and a box light. First I put down the 4 tri object and duplicated it about 6000 times, which came to 24,000 tris. Fps when looking at it went from solid 135 to 17. Seemed to improve as I got further away from them, even though I still remained looking at them. The editor became ridiculously slow also.

Then I took the 256 tri version, and duplicated it 500 times to make 128,000 tris in the one spot. Took a while to load the map, but the FPS only went as low as the mid 50's. Should note that these are all in one spot in the face of the player, not spread around and being culled etc.

Conclusion... don't make 6000 objects...

Edit - Again, this was with them all on top of each other which you're never going to have in a map, so I guess the difference in a real situation would be less dramatic
I read an article from Nvidia debating the fact that rendering (something around) 600 tris were the same as rendering 10 tris - in 2009 or the alike. There is somehow a minimum tricount thingy from which every object/drawcall is made. Therefore one shouldn't consider the total amount of tris in a map as a performance indicator, rather the amount of objects and their related tri counts (as well as the bazillion other things Wink). This also means that one shouldn't be too afraid of increasing tricount on objects - as long as it is within reasonable terms. I would say that it is preferred to have an object be 600 tris, rather than 200 ~ because otherwise one would be "wasting" 400 tris. This limit of 600 was believed to be increased today, dependant on computer hardware.

If I remember correctly one light = one drawcall (from the FG blog). So the amount of lights also have an impact on performance.

Things I've found laggy:
- Spotlights ~ several, overlapping etc.
- Particle systems with lots of spawns containing refraction

(08-08-2013, 08:15 AM)The Mug Wrote: As far as I understand you only want your objects seperated for culling purposes(when it comes to performance in HPL2). If you won't be able to go out and explore much, but just be in that courtyard then you should be able to gain quite a lot of performance by combining some of them.

Well at least the things that are close, I kinda have a little fear combining the things that are far away might confuse HPL2 so it does not use mip-maps properly, and ends up rendering distant objects in a high-res. hopefully an expert can correct me on this
I think it's dependant on how much screen-size an object takes. Best would be if someone manually created mip-maps for a texture and looked at something from different distances. For example mip1= blue, mip2 = green, mip3= yellow etc.

Other than this rant; Good work on your map and stuffs JonnyAnomaly - best of luck!

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

08-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Find
Zokrar Offline

Threads: 16

Any chance these remind anyone even just a little bit of Fable? (And I know they're very green. Tongue)
Spoiler below!

[Image: 7qzteZy.png]
[Image: MxMom5d.png]
[Image: u6srZru.png]

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2013, 09:35 PM by Zokrar.)
08-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Find
Artyom Offline

Threads: 27

(08-13-2013, 09:35 PM)Zokrar Wrote: Any chance these remind anyone even just a little bit of Fable? (And I know they're very green. Tongue)
Spoiler below!

[Image: 7qzteZy.png]
[Image: MxMom5d.png]
[Image: u6srZru.png]

It's very difficult to see any fableish theme in this picture, mainly due to the huge difference of the engines. I mean HPL2 has a kinda choppy flat look compared to the smooth cartoonish graphics that Fable has.

Anyways add some hills, maybe a waterwheel or some rocks etc etc, also brighten up the level a lot and mixture with the fog/lighting and you may end up with something fableish

- Inactive account -
08-14-2013, 12:26 AM
Find
Zokrar Offline

Threads: 16

It's not meant to be a professional map by any means whatsoever. I know it looks pretty ridiculous, but it reminded me of fable for whatever reason. Was just curious if it did for anyone else Tongue

08-14-2013, 12:59 AM
Find
Artyom Offline

Threads: 27

(08-14-2013, 12:59 AM)Zokrar Wrote: It's not meant to be a professional map by any means whatsoever. I know it looks pretty ridiculous, but it reminded me of fable for whatever reason. Was just curious if it did for anyone else Tongue

No worries everyone need to start somewhere Smile

- Inactive account -
08-14-2013, 01:26 AM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

Trying to create a sunny day effect with some billboards. Any tips? Got some out already.

Spoiler below!

[Image: ITYRKki.jpg]

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
08-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Find