Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
AGP Offline

Threads: 45
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

(02-24-2014, 10:41 AM)Romulator Wrote: That first image as well, now that I look at it on my laptop;

That shadow on the back wall (where Alexander's painting is) should not be there. Despite the light from the chandeliers and stuff being there to cast off shadows, the room is far too bright for shadows of that darkness. That part to me seems the most unrealistic about it, but I do like how all the space is taken up.

Thank you for the catch! Will definitely take note of that!

(02-24-2014, 06:32 PM)Acies Wrote:
(02-24-2014, 07:43 AM)AGP Wrote:
(02-24-2014, 07:00 AM)Amn Wrote:
(02-23-2014, 09:31 AM)AGP Wrote: Anything you can think of to help better the look of the story would be so incredibly helpful.
I would make all new textures for almost everything there.
The amnesia mansion base is overused, the more you get rid of the amnesia look, the better. Imo.

Thank you for the suggestion. =D

Directed at someone else but applicable for you as well:
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...#pid281448

I think the lighting is too 'uniformly' bright. I'd like more contrast - darker areas etc. Ultimately everyone makes lighting their own way.

Thank you! So far, most of the rooms shown are designed to be brighter (especially the room with the fireplace). Those are really the brightest rooms of the whole story, the rest will be fairly dark (not too dark though, as I really would like to experiment with lighting).

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2014, 02:24 AM by AGP.)
02-25-2014, 02:23 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Hey guys. I already created some new stuff at the Side Section for AFM, but still have no clue for the Grand Hall. So this is just the Side Section.
Spoiler below!

[Image: MNYavJN.jpg]

Spoiler below!

[Image: n48KLqD.jpg]

Spoiler below!

[Image: sGM9y1H.jpg]
Note: Sorry for the text

Spoiler below!

[Image: 5wVJE1b.jpg]

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
02-25-2014, 03:12 AM
Find
Putmalk Offline

Threads: 13

Spoiler below!
[Image: F7YhkcP.jpg]

02-25-2014, 04:28 AM
Find
Gilligan's Hell Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 17

Another crappy screenshot from me...
[Image: gd674h3.jpg]

you might need to bump up the brightness on your screen however but its a bit brighter ingame.
I would suggest opening it up in a new tab though

Its dark to simulate an actual outside environment. There is a boxlight but i set the brightness of it down.

The International Narcotics Traffic
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2014, 05:08 AM by Gilligan's Hell.)
02-25-2014, 05:07 AM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

Endosine, you should make the pointlight of the fire bigger. You might want to lower the color after that.
02-25-2014, 07:44 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Looks fine to me, fire doesn't create a massive area of light and is usually pretty yellow.
02-25-2014, 08:58 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Some of you kinda forgot the two screenshots above Endo's...

@endosine
Not bad. You should probably add a pointlight that's yellow-ish, but lower than the color of the fire and make the radius bigger.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
02-25-2014, 12:44 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

@JAP concerning the 2nd screenshot.

I feel like the paintings are misplaced. You wouldn't place them in a narrow path and high up. Who would see them? Art is made to be viewed.

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
02-25-2014, 01:03 PM
Find
Juras Offline

Threads: 2

@JustAnotherPlayer

I would add some rugs on the empty floors and then probably some pillars in the grand hall, where the stairs are to give it that ''epic'' feel and make the room look not that empty. Maybe even make one of the pillars broken or damaged so you can use that as an excuse to add some debris around it. Maybe use Amnesia's broken ceiling too to add some intrest to the room (another light source with cool shadow gobo) and more debris? Again, the best detail is when it makes sense and that's achieved when using all the assets smartly, that's what it's all about after all, making rooms look detailed and intresting. Lastly I would use some particles for final touch. Hope this helped Big Grin

Co-Founder & Lead Art Director of Red Line Games
3D & Environment Artist, Animator
http://jurasbatas.deviantart.com
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2014, 03:04 PM by Juras.)
02-25-2014, 02:46 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

Poked a little bit at the bloom shader today.
[Image: Amnesia_Original_Bloom_Test.png]

As you can see in this image, working with white objects easily cause the game to 'over-bloom' as it samples the white diffuse texture thinking it's a really bright thing (when it might in fact just be white paint).

Instead of entirely removing bloom I tried to lower the values of it - also changed the blur of it a little in the process.
[Image: Amnesia_New_Bloom_Test.png]

This was the result of that.

Due to my (non-existant) coding skills I couldn't manage to 'fix it' like I would want; sort of making it a scale where reaching 1 (full brightness) would become increasingly harder.

This is the new area I started working on a few days ago - will try to create an interesting event with the lighting.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

02-25-2014, 05:09 PM
Find